PDA

View Full Version : Too much humidity

ukulizzy
04-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Hi, all!

I live in Japan, and it gets pretty humid here in the summer, even though I'm in a far northern area. My work and home do not have air conditioning, so things can get a little sticky. Mold loves it - gross.

Anyway, I'm deciding what to get for my 2nd ukulele - I currently have a Mahalo and I'm ready to upgrade.:D I was wondering if it would be better to get a laminate than solid wood. Would laminate hold up to the humidity better? Any ideas?

ukeeku
04-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Are we talking 80-90% humidity?

OldePhart
04-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Generally speaking laminate will hold up to either high or low humidity better than solid wood. That said, if you've got really high humidity (95%, etc) anything short of plastic or fiberglass or carbon fiber is eventually going to be affected.

If your current uke isn't moldy then I'd say your humidity is probably not that high. Also, what really matters is average humidity. Ours varies enough here that the bridge on my Taylor rises and falls about 1/16" between winter and summer, even though it's always inside a heated/air conditioned house inside a case.

John

Mercutio
04-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Ukulizzy, not to hijack your thread, but what about using a dehumidifier? I ask because I'm in Boston and we're at 80-95% humidity pretty much all the time and, as we move into summer, I'm nervous about what I can do to keep my uke in shape (Sold mahogany top, laminate sides and back; Soprano). I figured a dehumidifer was in order but don't know much about them. Maybe one would be good for you too? I'm totally new though so I'd be interested in what the more senior members have to say. All the best!

Mercutio

mm stan
04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Aloha UKULizzy,
Do you know the stuff in the packages that they put in the dried nori plastic jars to keep them fresh...I throw a couple in my case for humidity....as they draw up the moisture..Hope it helps...

bunnyrawr
04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Aloha UKULizzy,
Do you know the stuff in the packages that they put in the dried nori plastic jars to keep them fresh...I throw a couple in my case for humidity....as they draw up the moisture..Hope it helps...

What about those little bags of the weird grainy stuff they put in shoes?
Or is that for something completely different?

I used to eat those as a kid :D

mm stan
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
What about those little bags of the weird grainy stuff they put in shoes?
Or is that for something completely different?

I used to eat those as a kid :D
Aloha Bunnyrawr,
No they are not, this stuff is non ediable...go to you asian food store an look for Teriyaki Nori, Yamamoto Yama brand or any similar brand ..they have a nice size package in them. I put 2 of them
in a case..

PhilUSAFRet
04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I live in E. Central FL, about 5 blocks from ocean. Have both solid and laminated ukes. No problems of any kind, but I do have AC.

zac987
04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
^ Haha, I think bunnyrawr was just joking, because the bag always says "Non-Edible"

Teek
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
You really only need to stabilize the case environment. I have a couple of cases with built in (cheapie) hygrometers that measure humidity. I'm 2 1/2 miles from the ocean, we usually run around 60% here and my cases with humidifiers stay about there.

I would go along with mmstan if it ever got too high here and just throw in the silica gel packets. They come in a lot of foods and other items, so just start saving them up. I don't think you would need more than a couple. If there is no air conditioning and for when you don't use a heater inside, the humidity would be about the same inside as outside. I use a weather gadget in my Vista sidebar to keep track. You can also just check weather.com.

So if your uke is cased you would really only need to control the case environment. If it sits out, get a nice laminate, there is nothing wrong with them. I understand Kiwaya makes some nice lams.

ukulizzy
04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the great ideas, all!

hoosierhiver
04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
A simple fan kept running might also help to dry the place out a little.

ukestah
04-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Aloha UKULizzy,

Stan, do you mean the little silica packets that they have in the jars to keep the moisture out and keep the contents fresh right? Those definitely work! I put them in my case when I travel to Thailand where it can get extremely humid and muggy and it works fine!

LoMa
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
If the tone of your uke becomes a thud, then you definitely need to think about de-humidifying.

Silica getl packets will work, but you need to renew them, as they'll get full of water at some point and will no longer help the problem.

Best of luck to you and have fun!

mm stan
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Stan, do you mean the little silica packets that they have in the jars to keep the moisture out and keep the contents fresh right? Those definitely work! I put them in my case when I travel to Thailand where it can get extremely humid and muggy and it works fine!
Yup, I use the big silica gel packets...works wonders....when one kamaka developed mold inside..I add them in after..