A Word of Caution to Ukulele Bands/Groups that use Facebook

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a note of awareness. Twice, we've had our Faceboook page for The Ukulele Cowboy Society "hijacked" by a british swing band known as "The Jive Aces." They've managed to post links to their Youtube video and website on our page even though we have set "permissions" not to allow posting of video content. I'm not sure how they are getting around the settings.

In any event, I was pretty annoyed at this intrusion but after thinking about it I became curious as to why a fairly popular and well-established UK band would need our support to promote their music and be so darn persistent about it. After visiting their website, I discovered that the joy of ukulele was not the only message they were trying to spread.

http://www.jiveaces.com/say_no_to_drugs/scientology.html

Now, I have no issue with this, and it certainly falls under the pretense of freedom of religious practice, etc, BUT, I didn't appreciate the attempt at making us a vessel of their beliefs.

Just wanted to post this so that if you have a Facebook band page, you might want to verify the "pemissions."

Thanks,

Mike

Turns out this was already a thread on UU. Didn't realize it when I posted this.

Yep - good cover of "Bring me sunshine" they did, but.... crazy that they were trying to spread the "scientology" craziness through your site. I bought a Yellow makala after seeing that video! :)

Thanks for the heads up; I will have to "un-like" their facebook page since I am vehemently opposed to Scientology.

Not to be funny, but this information made everything fall into place.

I am a HUGE Louis Prima fan and, as such, instantly liked The Jive Aces, especially after the video made the rounds. Heck, I even tweeted about it.

Then...

I kept seeing it. From them. I kept seeing posts about it by them. On Facebook. On Twitter.

It started getting... intrusive.

And a little desperate. I looked up other videos on there and, while they obviously DO have fun and love what they're doing, there's something... else there.
I couldn't put my finger on it until this thread.

This explains it all.

Thank you for this. It gave me a context, and now I can enjoy them in that context.

The "Bring Me Sunshine" video is about how the Jive Aces show up in a dour place and, with the help of a yellow ukulele, make everyone happy. How ironic that the Jive Aces have been so intrusive about posting their video (yeah, they post about it more than once a day on Facebook) that they have essentially been turning happy places into dour places.

Well, I traded a few messages with the singer and he seemed like a nice guy. We talked about ukes. If I stayed away from all the kooks who play ukes (Look McQueen, that rhymes!) I'd have a lot fewer uke playing friends, and they'd have less me. In the Southeast Ukers alone we have a very broad philosophy spectrum.

Well, I traded a few messages with the singer and he seemed like a nice guy. We talked about ukes. If I stayed away from all the kooks who play ukes (Look McQueen, that rhymes!) I'd have a lot fewer uke playing friends, and they'd have less me. In the Southeast Ukers alone we have a very broad philosophy spectrum.

Let's be clear. My issue is not with their belief system or anything else that the band wants to support. My issue is the fact that they attempted to use my Facebook page (twice) to promote their band and their "message." My "philosophy" spectrum is plenty broad.

Top Bottom