Soprano=strumming, tenor=fingerstyle?

jorgs

Reaction score
Is the concert a combo of both? bit fuller tone, still easy for chords?

I do a lot of fingerstyle on a soprano :D

I play fingerstyle on my soprano. Granted, it's easier on the concert, but limiting your style of play to one size of ukulele isn't necessary. I've played tenors and I don't care for them. Concerts seem to be a good mix of string spacing and volume, while still sounding like a ukulele and being fine for strumming.

I do more picking, and I play a concert.
My husband does more strumming, and he plays a tenor.
Seems to work for both of us. :D

I think the longer scale of a tenor helps more when playing up the neck. There are chords that are pretty hard to hold on a soprano or concert because they are around the 12th fret or beyond. If you play fingerstyle on the low frets, the size of the fretboard probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Nope. Watch some of the late John King's fingerstyle on soprano videos if there is any doubt. There is no "right" way to play a particular size. It's all personal preference.

I think it's easy to say that concerts are hybrids, but they're concerts. They are their own thing. I own a concert and a longneck soprano, and you'd think they'd be quite similar, but they play very differently. I think it goes back to what Jake [Shimabukuro] said in an interview a while back, and that is that each ukulele is individual. So, while a concert is a concert, even it isn't like other concerts.

I'm a fingerstyle guitar player and have been transitioning to fingerstyle on a soprano.

Nope. Watch some of the late John King's fingerstyle on soprano videos if there is any doubt. There is no "right" way to play a particular size. It's all personal preference.

What Grumpy said.

Whenever there are choices, it always has to be what works for you.

I'm sure you could do both on both.

But if you hold on to that thought, then you've got the perfect excuse to buy ALL SIZES right?!!
:D

Thank me later!

Last edited:
Top Bottom