PDA

View Full Version : Unique Painting Question

soccermike
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi,

Now i know that looking up the answer first is always ideal before posting about it, but i have a sort of unique question that i just haven't be able to get a straight answer about, even from my guitar painting master of a friend. My situation is this...

I am making a ukulele for my girlfriend, and she is super into sailing right now, so i wanted to carve a bridge to look like a sailboat, and paint the face of the uke with an oceanic scene. The wood i have is bare, as i bought a uke build kit from amazon (not the best way to go but hey, im low on cash right now and she probably wont play it as much as i would, lol) and i really don't know what to do as for painting... my original plan was to stain the wood, put acrylic laquer, then paint the scene using acrylic paint, and then finish off with coats of acrylic laquer, but my dad thinks that the laquer will screw up the paint even though they are both acrylic based. Now the reason id like to use acrylic is because i have a tonnnnnnn of acrylic paint at my disposal and it is what im most familiar with.

So, are there any suggestions on what i should do? Does anyone know if acrylic laquer actually dissolves part of the paint and mixes with it when it hardens? Because that would be fine if i were painting a solid color, but bleeding paint would ruin the whole face of the ukulele, and that wouldnt be good. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who responds!!!

Mike

Bradford
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I have used acrylic paints and sprayed nitro lacquer over them without a problem. It is pretty easy just to paint a couple of scraps of wood and test for compatibility, that would be a definitive answer for you.

Brad

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I've done it with both acrylics and alkyds with nitro on top with successful results. I prefer alkyds because they flow and work better. I'd keep the paint as this as you could to get the results you want and make sure the paint is thoroughly dry before you top coat it. This could take days or weeks depending upon your situation.
I started by first sealing the wood, then applying a couple of coats of finish for a nice smooth base. One the painted scene has dried I hit lightly with 400 sandpaper to remove any texture from the paint. Followed by the normal number of coats on top. The result is thin, flat and smooth as if the painted scene were trapped within the finish. Naturally you're going to have to do some experimenting to test compatibility and see what works best for you.
Good luck.

soccermike
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks so much for teh advice, and it turned out great in my opinion, im no where near as good of a painter as you, but the girlfriend loved it, and thats all that matters:) Thanks!

Canoe Lady
06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
That turned out great!

lovinforkful
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
It turned out really nice, what a sweet gift!

thehappyukulele
06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Nice! I love painted ukuleles. I'm working on an ocean themed one right now too. It's a tenor called "Deep Blue" and she's for a friend of mine who is an avid diver. 24942
I use milk paint (http://www.milkpaint.com/) which I lay down in layers and then I selectively sand through to the layers underneath. It's an interesting effect. This one has a swirl of kelp leaves on the back. Milk paint is great because it's totally non-toxic.
I really like how you incorporated the bridge. I might have to try something like that in the future. Nice Job.

Vic D
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Very cool design with the sailboat... looks great.