Recommendation needed: Retirement song

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My co-worker, who plays ukulele and has a great voice, and I, who play ukulele, would like to perform a song for another co-worker who is retiring in a few weeks. We were thinking of playing "Aloha Oe," but we played that last year for a different retiring co-worker, or IZ's "Somewhere Over The Rainbow," but my co-worker can't find a comfortable key to sing it in and her voice is the whole show. Any suggestions? Hawaiian would be nice, but we mostly just want a "farewell and best wishes" song that would sound good on an ukulele. Mahalo!

If you want to do something a little tongue in cheek, there is always "You Been A Good Ol' Wagon (But You DoneBroke Down)"

Personally, I love Della Reese's version of that song.

-Kurt

I was in the same spot. What I did was "What a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong. I handed out the lyrics on a piece of paper and had everyone sing along. It was unique and worked out really well.

Happy retirement.

A ukulele is a great retirement gift everyone can chip in on. And throw in 4 free lessons

Stay tuned...

Probably not appropriate in this case, but I'd pick "Good Riddance" by Greenday for my own retirement bash.

Seems I dimly remember an old song called "Gold Watch and Chain." Seems like it was kind of sad though, so maybe not appropriate.

You could always do the Beatles "When I'm 64" :)

John

I played uke and sang for a coworker's retirement party a few months back. I wound up doing "When I'm 64", but with the lyrics changed in spots to be a bit funny and be about him and his hobbies, etc. Everybody seemed to get a big kick out of it.

JJ

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon.....

hi Mark

great thread this one. here's my suggestion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdNQt4a6f7g

It's Pete Seeger singing "Get Up And Go". Lovely song, great sentiment, easy to play. :)

(if you want some chords shoot me a PM)

How do I know my youth is all spent?
My Get up and Go has Got Up and went.
In spite of it all, I'm able to grin
When I think of the places my get up has been.

When I first heard that song, 45-odd years ago, I thought it was very funny.

Now, well... Yeah, I make a point of reading the obits. Too many folks I know, or have worked with are making apearances there.

But as Pete said, "If I'm not there, I know I'm not dead."

It is a great song. Good pick, Eugene!

-Kurt

If you're looking for a "Hawaii" song, I strongly suggest "I'll Remember You". It has a beautiful melody and really nice simple lyrics. I have done it for several "going away" type occasions. The song was written by the late Kui Lee and was performed by him, as well as Don Ho and others. Please try to listen to it and see if it could be appropriate for you. Good luck!

We'll Meet Again.

Great recommendations! Thanks so much for posting them, and keep 'em coming! Stan, the soon-to-be retiree is a female and she's basically the administrative glue that holds the place together.

Last edited:
I wish someone would play for me at my retirement. If I could request a song, it would be You Can Take This Job and Shove It....

"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen

Stay Hawaiian, but with English Lyrics.

"I'll Remember You" is a GREAT recommendation. Makaha Sons does an excellent version.
"Flying" Peter Moon Band.
"Crazy Without You" Pure Heart does an upbeat version, sort of personal though.
"Friends" Cecilio & Kapono
"Sailin'" C&K
"Breeze" Gabby Pahinui, personal too.
"Take Me Home, Country Road" Iz
"Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" Ka`au Crater Boys
"Highway in the Sun" C&K This one may be it. . .

Last edited:
Loudon Wainwright, "The S%#t Song" :biglaugh: (very funny but maybe not appropriate? :eek: )

Top Bottom