Mesquite?

Bad Juju

Reaction score
I've seen it recommend several time to use the wood native to the location of the luthier. I had never thought to use mesquite which is abundant here in Texas. I always thought that mesquite trees were kind of scrawny and scragly and only good for barbecues. However, today while perusing my local Woodcraft store I came upon some blanks of mesquite.

I wonder if makes a good tone wood. Has anyone here ever used mesquite?

- Shaun

This may be a dumb questions, but I had to ask
I have an aromatic cedar uke from David gill, it smellslike...well. a cedar chest. Will mesquite smell like a barbaque?
Please don't laugh, I was wondering.

This may be a dumb questions, but I had to ask
I have an aromatic cedar uke from David gill, it smells like...well. a cedar chest. Will mesquite smell like a barbaque?
Please don't laugh, I was wondering.

:) Good question. I imagine that there would be some essence of the same scent. But, while the scent of your uke and a cedar closet "exude" a similar smell from the cut fibers of the wood, burning wood gives an odor from the carbonized particles of the wood.

Now,with that being said... if I do use mesquite and mess up (a possibility :)) it will definitely smell like barbecue! :D

Now, I hope this wasn't a joke question like my brother in law asks which is designed to lure me into a long and obvious answer. If so I fell for it. :D

Last edited:
When asked how he liked running his bus on bio-diesel, Willie Nelson said it smelled like french fries and gave him the munchies. Imagine if he got off the bus, after partaking a little Herbal remedy, and went on stage and played a Mesquite guitar.

:) Good question. I imagine that there would be some essence of the same scent. But, while the scent of your uke and a cedar closet "exude" a similar smell from the cut fibers of the wood, burning wood gives an odor from the carbonized particles of the wood.

Now,with that being said... if I do uses quite and mess up (a possibility :)) it will definitely smell like barbecue! :D

Now, I hope this wasn't a joke question like my brother in law asks which is designed to lure me into a long and obvious answer. If so I fell for it. :D
Nope, honest dumb question, I swear

Wow! Thank you all for the info and the humor. :) I found a guitar company here in Texas (Austin) that uses Texas native woods including mesquite. If you are interested, check out http://www.cardinalinstruments.com. I also got some ideas for alternative woods for using some of the other native Texan woods.

I think a mesquite build is in my future. However, it will be quite different than what you are thinking. :D I'll definitely post a progress thread, though.

Ukeeku, I'll let you know how it smells. :)

Ukeeku,
I gave Dave all that cedar when I cleaned out my shop sometime back. I think he only made a couple concerts from it because there wasn't very much wide enough. He's a great guy. I sure wish I were as talented as him.

Will mesquite smell like a barbaque?

The smell of freshly milled mesquite is an exquisite smell....
Kindy fruity and sweet, and unique...
I can conjure it up in my brain as we speak...hmmm...

Here's some shots of a mesquite mill south of Tucson...
Check out the size of some of the boards....

DCP_3030.jpg

DCP_3033.jpg

If you light it, it will smell exactly like a barbeque, but I would recomend using a mesqite guitar, it will burn longer. Just kidding! There is a lot of mesquite in south texas, and people use it for flooring etc. http://www.mesquitefloors.com/

Hah! :) Thanks for the link! I have been researching a source and had not yet seen that one. I will definitely consider them. :)

Just an FYI. Mike Surrency in Clear Lake (Houston area) has built some fine sounding mesquite classical guitars in the past. He loves to talk guitars so I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss the pros and cons of working with mesquite. IMHO I wouldn't have a problem building one with mesquite back and sides, but would probably use spruce or cedar (depending on your preference) for the soundboard. I'm not sure how stable the wood would be for necks...maybe Mike knows. I'd be curious to see and hear how it turns out if you choose to build a uke with mesquite!

Does that mean that they won't sell me smaller ukulele sizes at all or that they will sell them cheap? I might just have to buy the smallest guitar sizes they will sell.

They gave me some... My son works next door to them.. If I ever get something built, I have to play them a song. It is really beautiful wood.
I think ukulele size is about average for them, some of their flooring is 2" wide and most of the pieces are pretty short.

Just an FYI. Mike Surrency in Clear Lake (Houston area) has built some fine sounding mesquite classical guitars in the past. He loves to talk guitars so I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss the pros and cons of working with mesquite. IMHO I wouldn't have a problem building one with mesquite back and sides, but would probably use spruce or cedar (depending on your preference) for the soundboard. I'm not sure how stable the wood would be for necks...maybe Mike knows. I'd be curious to see and hear how it turns out if you choose to build a uke with mesquite!

I understand it is very stable.

Top Bottom