Kiwaya KTS-4 or KTC-1??

oudkulele

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am looking for "high quality" uke, one that can be kept for years...

I've been spending lots of time on the net reading posts / listening to songs & soundclips... I 've been looking at 4 brands that are available here in France at the moment Koaloha/Kiwaya/Hamano/Pono and have decided to go for Kiwaya (this time :p)...

I've read good comments (+vids) one the KTS-4 but I am still wondering if I should not go for the concert (KTC-1 - 12 frets).

My problem is that I won't get a chance to try them before purchase and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare them?

Please note that i am only interested in the way they sound has I have already been through the concert vs soprano pros & cons...

Thanks for your help,

Guilhem.

Note : please refrain from throwing at me a dozen of other good ukes I should consider as narrowing my choice to these two has already been a nightmare...and I'd like to have my mind clear for my birthday next week.:)

Been spending to much time on the net recently trying to decide what I would go for...don't want to do it all again!

Next time I will go for Koaloha!

...or a Hamano...or a Pono...

No, no, no!! the next one will be a Risa solid uke for travelling. Settled!

Soprano or concert?

Guilhem

Note : all those comments & advices have been very useful and the only way for me to make a choice without any decent shop around..."always listen to the ones that have the experience and are willing to share it" then make your own choice.

Last edited:
Just wondering...will all your post have notes at the end? I kinda like it.

note: -58

If this were your first uke, I'd recommend the concert as it would give you a 'middle of the road' size to help decide if you'd go smaller or larger on your 'next' uke. But, I see from your intro post that you have two others already. In that case, I'd say this is your opportunity to go in a direction you've not been yet -- if you have soprano, go with the concert or vice versa.

If you've got one of each already, then decide if you prefer a little more depth of sound in the concert, or the more 'classic' uke sound of the soprano. In any case, the difference will be minor and certainly different for you than for anybody else here. Were it me, I'd go with the concert and string it low-g, but that's my own deal (i like low-g on concerts, and re-entrant on tenors and sopranos).

Better safe than sorry -- get 'em both.

NOTE: I did notice on Kiwaya's site that their picture of the KTC-1 is a Soprano (not a concert), which at first I assumed was them just using a soprano picture for both, but then I noticed in their comparison table, the KTC-1 is listed as only having 12 frets, though they also call it a concert. When it comes to button-push time, make sure you're getting what you're expecting.

Have fun!

I have the soprano and it is a beautiful instrument. It is very well-made, incredibly light and very loud. Everything about it speaks quality. The tuners are superb, and I really don't like friction tuners. An amazing instrument.

However, if I were choosing between the two, I would go for the concert. The KTC1 is slightly more expensive but, because it is slightly bigger, it is much easier to play.

Both are wonderful instruments. If I could swap mine for the KTC1, I would.

KEN

what do the minue numbers mean deach?

I to have the Soprano Kiwaya.

The sound is about as good as you can get in Mahogany.

The 12 fret option Concert will not be that much bigger apart from the body of course, and if I was going for a Concert Kiwaya I would opt for the KTC-2.

So the KTC-1 is a Concert body with Soprano Frets, possibly slightly larger but not that much, whereby the KTC-2 is more the traditional "all" over size.

Sound wise, they are all superb and first class instruments and as I said, they are just about as good as you can get in Mahogany with nice easy low action, are as light as a feather, and you wont find better quality.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for replying. Will try to reply to suggestions made and add some more info.

Witters, all 3 models are available from the same source :

KTS-4 =369€, KTC-1 + 104€, KTC-2 +194€ => KTC-2 out : can get the Risa solid body soprano for that price difference + i like the 12 frets neck to body junction look.

Ken, I was expecting you on this one as i have been watching your ukes reviews on youtube - great help!. Thanks. By the way I was wondering how many you've got?

Notorious, can't get them both and my next one will have a different sound (koa maybe... but after the "solid"!).

Guilhem.

Update

Still wondering why I did not come across this thread...

This could have help...but the concert is no longer for sale (one soprano has gone too!). Things will be a lot easier now and it's the cheaper option...so I can keep some money for the Risa solid...

"always look on the bright side of life!"

Guilhem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQgXgS5G3c&feature=related

Anyone for a uke version?

Last edited:
As Kiwayas are disappearing quickly from the shop (3 in less than 24hrs..) I pushed the "buy" button today...KTS-4!

Many thanks for the comments made,

Guilhem.

Top Bottom