PDA

View Full Version : New uke day!

GX9901
04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
There's a new Mya-Moe strung up almost every day, so I'm sure many other have received theirs recently or are about to receive one. I received mine today and I'm very pleased with it. I think it looks great and hopefully with a bit of playing time, it will open up a little and sound perfect. Gordon and Char run a first rate operation and I highly recommend them.

Pics:

Front
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_hMJKe0Vprf4/Tbd-UEZsVrI/AAAAAAAABYc/0qHeEFXvVzU/s640/DSC04399.JPG

Back
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_hMJKe0Vprf4/TbeJrCk1SNI/AAAAAAAABYk/DX1kFPGfrhA/s640/DSC04402.JPG

Side
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_hMJKe0Vprf4/TbeJrjCIL-I/AAAAAAAABYs/XYPcK9S8jiU/s640/DSC04403.JPG

Hanging out with a couple of other concerts
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_hMJKe0Vprf4/TbeJsFozzcI/AAAAAAAABY0/RndoTsYbHRg/s640/DSC04392.JPG

Ronnie Aloha
04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
George, you suck. : )

Hippie Dribble
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
pardon the ignorance George, but is that master grade myrtle?

GX9901
04-26-2011, 07:28 PM
George, you suck. : )

I know. Thanks for reminding me. :p

pardon the ignorance George, but is that master grade myrtle?

I'm not sure if that qualifies as master grade. It was upgraded myrtle that they charge $100 over regular myrtle.

TCK
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Agreed- I don't now you, but you suck....that Uke is AMAZING

Lexxy
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh man, another beauty. You suck :P

ADD
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Glad it got there safely. Quite lovely. Anxious for your review and video. It'll open up sooner than you think with a bit of playing

wickedwahine11
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
It is beautiful, congrats!

mds725
04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Man, that's a great looking uke! Congratulations!

scubatrevor1024
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
What a beaut!! I really like the head stock, never really seen that before.

SailQwest
04-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Gorgeous!!

johntz
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Gorgeous. Play it in good health.

dkcrown
04-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Sahweeet George. You say that it needs to open up a bit (as all new ukes do.) Is it a little on the quiet side?

uke552
04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Very nice-Congrats! That headstock is too cool...

Mandarb
04-27-2011, 02:47 AM
Sweet. It was pretty cool seeing the process of your uke being made using the shop tracker - you had mentioned its number in another thread. Glad to see that it arrived safely. Enjoy. What do you think of it so far?

Gmoney
04-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Is that concert sized or "longneck soprano"?? It doesn't seem to have fret markers & I can't tell the scale length from the photos.

And... yet more proof that I NEED a Mya-Moe! Simply beautiful.

Kauai808
04-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Wow! But that Collings uke sitting next to the mya moe in the picture is double wow!

Gmoney
04-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Wow! But that Collings uke sitting next to the mya moe in the picture is double wow!

Didn't notice the "haircut" headstock until you mentioned it... it IS a pretty sweet looking uke.

GX9901
04-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Sahweeet George. You say that it needs to open up a bit (as all new ukes do.) Is it a little on the quiet side?

It's not so much quiet as feeling a bit "tight sounding", if that makes any sense. Feels like it could sound more open, at least compared to the two other ukes pictured on the first post. Those two are some serious ukes though, so maybe I'm expecting too much off the bat.

Sweet. It was pretty cool seeing the process of your uke being made using the shop tracker - you had mentioned its number in another thread. Glad to see that it arrived safely. Enjoy. What do you think of it so far?

I wrote a blog post on my initial thoughts of this ukulele. Check it out if interested here (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2011/04/early-bird.html). I'm very happy with it.

Is that concert sized or "longneck soprano"?? It doesn't seem to have fret markers & I can't tell the scale length from the photos.

And... yet more proof that I NEED a Mya-Moe! Simply beautiful.

It's a regular concert joined at the 14th fret with a wide 1.5" nut. I deleted the fret markers so it makes me look like an expert player. Haha! Well, maybe not, as it does have side dots to help with locating fret positions. I just like the clean look of a marker-less fretboard. Did the same thing with the William King.

UncleElvis
04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
I don't even know you and I'm gonna say it.

YOU SUCK!

That's gorgeous!

Skottoman
04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
That looks amazing! Would love to add one to my collection someday, but I already have 10 ukes!

I imagine it will open up with time. I'm constantly amazed at how much better ukes can sound after a few years...

Get to playin!!!
CHeers,
Skottoman

Mandarb
04-27-2011, 05:35 AM
My Kamaka was a little "tight" sounding when I first got it and in a couple of months it opened up. Hopefully yours will do the same. Anyway, it looks great. Enjoy.

hobblecreek
04-27-2011, 05:38 AM
This is good -- I needed to know that in the UU Forum being told: “you suck” is a form of endearment! (I don’t think my wife will get it, however.)

Anyway, great new Uke. Gordon and Char are really cool people who enhance the uke community by their friendliness and commitment to making a truely great product at a fair price.

So, happy playing, I hope it measures up and gets its share of play time.

Kauai808
04-27-2011, 05:46 AM
GX- You have a nice selection of ukes and I would certainly value your opinion on the Collings uke you have. Do you have a previous review on the Collings here on the UU forums? I have seen your youtube videos but was wondering if you could do a more recent review now that you have had it in your stable for a longer time. Sorry to get off topic guys.

GX9901
04-27-2011, 05:55 AM
GX- You have a nice selection of ukes and I would certainly value your opinion on the Collings uke you have. Do you have a previous review on the Collings here on the UU forums? I have seen your youtube videos but was wondering if you could do a more recent review now that you have had it in your stable for a longer time. Sorry to get off topic guys.

I wrote a series of posts (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/search/label/smackdown) a while ago comparing the Collings to a Mainland. It doesn't directly review the Collings, but kind of indirectly reviews it. Not sure if you've seen it or if it's helpful, but take a look if interested.

ukestah
04-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Congrats George! When she opens up it'll be time for another video! Any songs in mind?

Nevermind, I saw on your blog that you might try to do Bohemian Rhapsody again.

Plainsong
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true), that myrtle takes a long time to really open up, but when it does, you'll know. I tried to say as much on your blog but it wouldn't take my comment no matter what for some reason.

And you double suck for having a curly myrtle Myamoe AND a rose gold/MOP Bathys with what looks like a ridinfool stingray strap. Bathys had the best MOP, and you just can't get them anymore. I had an MOP Benthic, but sold it because I didn't care for the action on the bezel. And ridinfool is a bit behind schedule and the strap he's making for my Sinn 856 is taking for-frakking-ever. (Not criticizing him, just commenting on the conflicting need for custom AND instant gratification)

I wonder how Mya-moe come up with the number conventions. It doesn't seem chronological if you go through the uketracker.

Mraz
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
...jealouss!

KimosTherapy
05-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't know you Bruddah ... I've seen your videos on youtube ... but, you can JAM Brah!!! What do you do for a living? You have quite an impressive herd of ukes!!!! YOU SSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!! Nah-nah-nah Brah ... jus' kidding-jus' kidding. I'm SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!

Uncle Leroy
05-02-2011, 12:18 PM
That is a stunner!!!! I would love to hear a soundclip.

sukie
05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't even know you and I'm gonna say it.

YOU SUCK!

That's gorgeous!

Well.......I do know him. He doesn't really suck. He just owns a ton of ukuleles.

Hey, George!

GX9901
05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true), that myrtle takes a long time to really open up, but when it does, you'll know. I tried to say as much on your blog but it wouldn't take my comment no matter what for some reason.

And you double suck for having a curly myrtle Myamoe AND a rose gold/MOP Bathys with what looks like a ridinfool stingray strap. Bathys had the best MOP, and you just can't get them anymore. I had an MOP Benthic, but sold it because I didn't care for the action on the bezel. And ridinfool is a bit behind schedule and the strap he's making for my Sinn 856 is taking for-frakking-ever. (Not criticizing him, just commenting on the conflicting need for custom AND instant gratification)

I wonder how Mya-moe come up with the number conventions. It doesn't seem chronological if you go through the uketracker.

I was wondering if you were going to comment on the Mya-Moe. I'll have to look into the blog to see if there are any problems with the comments.

I hope it's true that Myrtle opens up noticeably after a while. It would take this instrument to another level. I think it sounds just fine right now, but as mentioned I think it has room to be better.

Yeah, that's a rindinfool. And I got it during his holiday sale no less. Perfect strap for that Bathys if I may say so myself. :D

I noticed the numbering convention on Mya-Moe too. I wonder what happens when the numbers are about to overlap.

That is a stunner!!!! I would love to hear a soundclip.

Here is a quick video I uploaded last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op01nNgbNk

GX9901
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Well.......I do know him. He doesn't really suck. He just owns a ton of ukuleles.

Hey, George!

Hey sukie! Thanks for saying that I don't suck, but I guess popular opinion is that I do, and that's OK. Haha!

Ronnie Aloha
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey sukie! Thanks for saying that I don't suck, but I guess popular opinion is that I do, and that's OK. Haha!

I'm with the majority! LOL!

Nice rendition of Bohem though.

Plainsong
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I dunno, even through my MBP speakers I'm hearing all these wonderful little hints of overtone. Sounds like it's going to grow into its own. Your neekid fretboard makes me want one, but even with side markers I might well be in serious trouble. I ultimately went with no pickup because of that one last (I promise!) uke I was gonna get will have one... but it's not often you get one installed when it's built. I'm second-guessing, but my build won't even start until September or October.

It stopped being the Ukulele Ghetto a long time ago. It's now the Ukulele Pimp Playa. :D

GX9901
05-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Your neekid fretboard makes me want one, but even with side markers I might well be in serious trouble.

Haha, neekid fretboard...I like it! Anyway, I realized a while ago that I don't even see the fretboard dots while playing, and pretty much just go by the side markers most of the time, so that's why I've got a couple of ukes built with the neekid fretboard. I guess with side dots, it's really just half neekid or something. I don't think I'll ever be enough of a master to go without any fretboard markers whatsoever.