kiwaya help??

slimbob

Reaction score
So, my first try at changing strings on my Kiwaya KTS-4---- and the bone compensating saddle fell out.

How do I determine which direction to reinstall it? Which side faces the sound hole?

Does it make any difference?

I remember reading about how to check for intonation, but now i cant find it? can you help me out?

What I am going to tell you might be dangerous as I am not a builder, but you have a 50% chance of doing it right or wrong. Those are good odds for a gambling man.

The bottom of the saddle should be flat and sits flush in the slot.

The top (of the piece of bone), over which the strings lie, should slope slightly downwards to left (assuming you face the soundhole with the headstock at the top).

This is sometimes done by :

(i) slightly off-setting the bridge on the soundboard (iow bridge is glued at a very slight angle)

(ii) by shaping the piece of bone at an angle (on C and G string) thus slightly increasing the distance between nut and saddle, but keeping the bridge straight on the soundboard.

At least that is how I understand it.

Intonation can be checked with your ear or electronic tuner.

First you tune each string open in the gCEA keys .

At the twelfth fret, you fret each string lightly, pick the string, and it should give you the same key tone (higher ofcourse) by listening, or measuring electronically.

good luck.

Does this help?
kiwaya-ks1-saddle.gif

aloha bob,
lucky it is compensated...only two ways it goes in...if it doesn't work switch it the other way...next time you do that put a tape on the top side and mark it...alot easier...Good Luck....Happy strummings..
MM Stan

Last edited:
Top Bottom