Kala Dolphin (makala) vs. new Kala Ukadelics IMO

Total Ukphoria

Reaction score
I have now had a chance to play (and own) several plastic dolphins and the new Ukadelics by Kala (own 1 played several).

This is not an in depth review, just a quick comparison according to my own ears.

It seems to me that the Ukadelics are not as loud and a little more hollow sounding (perhaps plucky).

The dolphin definitely has a more bell-like tone to me and is louder.

Feel free to disagree :). The dolphins seem to be the winner here (and at half the cost).

I will continue to try more ukadelics as the come out- they are sooooo pretty! I have played the Tiki, and several red and green paisleys. I own a green Paisley.

BTW- I also own the Kala Kiwi- another pretty painted uke. It sounds at least as good as the dolphin (maybe a little better). It is about the same price of the ukadelics.

I would love to here what others have to say on this.

Last edited:
Some of those Ukadelics look pretty damn cool. Paying for the graphics, not sound quality I fear. I haven't found anywhere in the UK that stocks them yet. It's a shame that the pattern/picture is ony on the front. From the website photos it looks as if the sides, neck and back are all just plain coloured.

I wouldn't mind owning this one though: http://www.kalaukulele.com/Detail_KA-STIKI.asp

I agree, I was disappointed with the sound for the price. You're paying a lot for a graphic.

Dolphin FTW!

I love the look of the Ukadelics, but really can't argue with the sound of my (two) dolphins. Despite owning pricier ukes, I often gig with the Dolphin.

Top Bottom