A question for Mya Moe owners

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
After seeing George's beautiful new Mya Moe myrtle concert and reading his review of it in his blog, it got me to thinking. Is there a huge difference in tone and volume with Mya Moe in general before and after they have had sufficient time to open up? I know that I have read in recent threads that this can be the case. I know that there are many variables involved (wood types, humidity levels, bracing, etc.), but is this a common characteristic of Mya Moe?

Most of my ukuleles I have purchased second hand. Given their age most have already gone through their "opening up" period. My two high end ukes that I have bought new, my MB and my Collings UT-3, have changed somewhat acoustically, but not what I would say drastically. Both sounded wonderful from day 1. I didn't find myself waiting for their sound to evolve into something more pleasing to my ear.

I have a soprano, a concert and a tenor Mya-Moe and they all sounded great when they arrived. The concert, which I play the most has definitely opened up as I imagine the others will with more playing time.

Mitch

My tenor resonator seemed to change as I played it. I believe wood instruments do "open" up as they are played, but more so I believe we learn about our instruments and how to get more out of them.
Finding the right strings are also part of the new ukulele picture. It also took me a bit to get used to the radius fret board. I notice now after almost a year with my Mya-Moe that if I play it all the time it sounds better.
If I have been playing one of the many other ukuleles I have it takes me a while to adjust to the MM.

Ok - "opening up" is subjective, and remains controversial. It's a myth to some. A placebo effect to others.

I have had my Mya Moe for nearly a year, and have noticed some tonal changes based on humidity, but nothing signifigant. I have not noticed anything remotley like the fabled "opening-up" process. But keep in mind, strings change over time too, as does one's ear, skills, and room noise for that matter.

Either way - if you are expecting signifigant changes, I think you'll find yourself waiting a very long time.

Last edited:
I am a believer in ukes "opening up". I have 9 ukes, and I've found it happening for sure with at least 5 of them. (solid wood builds).

Also strings settling in is another key factor.

I'm guessing that the Mya Moe's (still want one) are quality instruments that when played a lot will settle in and open up. Some of my ukes have changed dramatically.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Mine sounded great the day I got them. I was the first owner of the Tenor and it sounded great to me day one. The koa concert was made in 2009 and I'm sure whatever opening it is going to do has been done. I do notice that humidity changes effect the tone a little. They are fantastic instruments.

I got a tenor a few weeks back and it has gotten louder. It has such a unique-sweet-rich tone, it is in class by itself.

Top Bottom