Live Set Up

dukeofstraw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Gonna be gigging this summer - mostly small venues, coffeehouses, stuff like that. Been using a LR Baggs Para DI with a Dean Markley stick on transducer.

I was curious what kind of live set up UUs have. Like what Pickups they have in the instruments. Direct boxes? Effects Pedals? Amps? Stuff like that.

Hopefully I have this posted in the right spot.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
The Duke of Straw

I use a Fishman passive AG pickup into an LR Baggs Venue DI/preamp, then into the PA's powered mixer. No other pedals currently, although I see a Fishman AFX Reverb in my future. I'm looking at upgrading cables right now...possibly to the Analysis Plus Oval Yellow.

I do use a DigiTech RP-80 if I'm using my Eleuke.

Looking forward to seeing the different setups!

~Michael

I use a Fishman Matrix Infinity Active Ukulele Pickup w/Preamp on my Pono Spruce. All our other ukuleles that we perform with are setup with Mi-Si/L.R. Baggs configurations. I go directly into our GigRack 300 amp to two passive Kustom 10's and a pair of Genesis Personal Hot Spot monitors. My wife uses a Shure 55-SH microphone. I even swapped out the electronics in my Baritone Eleuke and installed a Mi-Si. When I play my Jupiter Creek Solid Body Baritone, I use a BOSS chorus pedal and tremolo pedal. I connect with Planet Waves Circuit breaker cables.

Mike

Aloha, Duke of Straw.

I own a lot of amps. Here's an ongoing thread on my ones that run on battery power:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification...

Think small, for your stated venues. Many of those coffee shop venues barely give you enough room for a chair. I could pinpoint my recommendation if you state your budget range. Not knowing that, This is my number one:

The Roland AC-33:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-AC33-Acoustic-Chorus-Combo-Amp?sku=423449

656572.jpg

656574.jpg

656567.jpg

I never plug mine in. I always use it with AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Late last year I used it (along with 2 Roland BA-330's, 3 Roland Cube Street's, 2 Roland Microcube RX's and 1 Roland Microcube RX Bass) for 3 hours at a City of Encinitas Christmas party, followed by a large 8 hour kanikapila Christmas jam in Tustin. I never changed the batteries that whole 11 hour day! The AC-33 has 3 channels - Instrument input with it's own controls, Microphone input with it's own controls and an Aux input with it's own volume control. It has reverb, delay and chorus effects built in. The 40 second looper allows you to layer tracks, so you sound like an entire band. The AC-33 is purposely designed for acoustic instrument amplification. I've used mine at much larger venues than you state you'll be performing.

Get a headset microphone. This eliminates the need for a microphone stand and allows you freedom of movement:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-WH20QTR-Headset-Microphone?sku=270136

244331.jpg

Top Bottom