new member with crazy ideas

pt66

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new member but not new to building. I have been building instruments since I was in high school and I am retiring at the end of May. I have this idea foor a "bass ukulele". Not bass like electric bass or double bass but more in the cello range. More the size of a classical guitar but four strings tuned an octave below a baritone uke. Built to look more "ukeish". Has this been done before?

Dave

Others have made Bass Ukes and there are a few commercially available ones out there (Kala Ubass) but don't let that stop you. We enjoy seeing the pictures.

Hey Dave; Welcome to UU and congratulations on the upcoming retirement.
Newly retired myself and so far, it's the best gig I ever had. Don't know how I ever found time for work.
Kala makes a bass uke; acoustic, four strings (not steel) but not sure what the tuning or scale length is.
Size wise, sounds like you are thinking something about the size of a tenor guitar; bigger than a baritone uke with scale length about 23" and steel strings. Think body size is a little smaller than a OOO or OM i think.
What scale are you planning?

To start with the last question first. "Standard" guitar scale. Sort of like a tenor guitar but think of the lowest note being the low E on a guitar tuned down to D then the other string tuned down too. You get D G B and E one octave below a baritone uke. I was thinking of using classical guitar strings (discard the b and e). I can't imagine the Kala would have much volume acousticly.

Aloha Dave,
Welcome to the UU and congrats on your retirement....but I guess you still have building in your blood...don't blame you neither...Keep us informed on your new bass design..MM Stan

Top Bottom