PDA

View Full Version : new member with crazy ideas

pt66
04-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a new member but not new to building. I have been building instruments since I was in high school and I am retiring at the end of May. I have this idea foor a "bass ukulele". Not bass like electric bass or double bass but more in the cello range. More the size of a classical guitar but four strings tuned an octave below a baritone uke. Built to look more "ukeish". Has this been done before?

Dave

Doug W
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Others have made Bass Ukes and there are a few commercially available ones out there (Kala Ubass) but don't let that stop you. We enjoy seeing the pictures.

fahrner
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey Dave; Welcome to UU and congratulations on the upcoming retirement.
Newly retired myself and so far, it's the best gig I ever had. Don't know how I ever found time for work.
Kala makes a bass uke; acoustic, four strings (not steel) but not sure what the tuning or scale length is.
Size wise, sounds like you are thinking something about the size of a tenor guitar; bigger than a baritone uke with scale length about 23" and steel strings. Think body size is a little smaller than a OOO or OM i think.
What scale are you planning?

pt66
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
To start with the last question first. "Standard" guitar scale. Sort of like a tenor guitar but think of the lowest note being the low E on a guitar tuned down to D then the other string tuned down too. You get D G B and E one octave below a baritone uke. I was thinking of using classical guitar strings (discard the b and e). I can't imagine the Kala would have much volume acousticly.

mm stan
04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Aloha Dave,
Welcome to the UU and congrats on your retirement....but I guess you still have building in your blood...don't blame you neither...Keep us informed on your new bass design..MM Stan

mzuch
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I can't imagine the Kala would have much volume acousticly.

It doesn't. I have one. It is an electric bass with poly "strings" on a baritone uke body.

Timbuck
04-27-2011, 08:42 PM
May be you make a four string version of this???? to do the job.
http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3614&ref=1

southcoastukes
04-30-2011, 04:50 PM
We have one coming up shortly:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/guitars.htm

pt66
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I didn't quite understand the tuning for the Southcoast Bass. What is the lowest string tuned to? Why fretless?