Kanile'a Tenor Model K-1 SM

Howie1947

Reaction score
Could somone give me an approximate value for this Uke?? It is brand new.............Thanks

Brand new retail...I believe it was around 870. I know it is less than the UV finished one which retails for 910. But you should be able to get 10-25% off on it, so it'll put it around 650 range if youre really lucky (no case). If you want it with the case, 700ish is a good price to pay.

I plan to make the Kanilea K1 SM-T my next purchase. I played one, and it's amazing. Of course, my skills dont quite justify it, but maaaaaaan...it is indeed a sound monster. I wish the glossy finished one could still make as much sound as the sound monster.

Kanilea K-1 T SM

This model does not appear to be made of "Koa" wood..........Could it be made of mahagony??? Anyway the SM signifies........."Sound Monster"?

This model does not appear to be made of "Koa" wood..........Could it be made of mahagony??? Anyway the SM signifies........."Sound Monster"?

It is made from koa. The tenor Kanile'a is amazing. I prefer the one with the gloss finish - really brings out the grain of the wood.

KEN

Yes SM is for sound monster. And it is made out of koa. However, it does not look quite like the koa you may be used to because they're using some sort of very basic and thin oil finish that leaves the uke looking more natural, and doesn't bring out the grain or give it that really "nice" koa look that we may be used to. The neck, I believe, is mahogony, though. :)

Sound monsters also have the new bracing pattern inside which has way more effect on the tone and volume then the finish.

If you are a heavy strummer like me or use a pick every get a UV finish one they hold up much better.

Sound Monsters are amazing, IMO. $650 would be a good price for that uke.

Hmmm... I've never played a sound monster (I've got the glossy UV finish tenor)... but I'm such a fan of Kanilea now it might just have to be my next uke!

Sound monsters also have the new bracing pattern inside which has way more effect on the tone and volume then the finish.

If you are a heavy strummer like me or use a pick every get a UV finish one they hold up much better.

But they have actually put that same bracing pattern into all of their ukes now since it was so successful in the sound monster. So if I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the SM and the UV finished instrument is just the finish. But let me tell you, playing a UV finished one and a sound monster back to back, the sound monster makes considerably more noise; I'd say about 25% to 35% more, and you can really feel the back of the instrument vibrate when you play it. And the UV finished one is no slacker in terms of sound either.

But I would agree that the UV finished one would probably be able to take more abuse than the sound monster...and I suspect that a pick guard may impair some of the vibrations that Kanilea worked so hard to optimize.

To my knowledge the SM oil finish ukes were the first to get the new braing pattern, it was then moved to the K1+ lines after it worked so well.

In my hands a K5 S.Tenor and a K1 SM Super Tenor have the same volume, the tone is differnt but that has to do with the woods. But the straight grain koa that Kanile'a uses I really think sounds better then some of the mid grade curly.

been wanting to get one. got a friend who picked one up and i can't stop thinking about it.:bowdown:

Played an SM today and it does have a lot of volume and good tone. I also played the UV model and a couple Moore Bettah Ukes. It's interesting how each uke had it's own personality. Although the SM is loud, it wasn't as warm in tone to the other ukes. I'm sure when it comes to custom/semi custom ukes, it's all about preference.

Top Bottom