New nylgut's

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all,
I purchased some strings for my makala dolphin (the one that my hubby is painting, photos after clearcoating) and they came in the mail today.

I haven't seen to many posts about them. However I ordered from my usual guy I have purchased from and the auction didn't state they were new.. I am wondering if I should be concerned?

Anyone compared these to the older style?

Thanks all.. I can't wait until this uke is ready to be strung up and I can share photos... I posted some photos on my fb page, but don't want to share here until it is all strung up.. It's looking good though.. hope it will sound good too..

I just put a set on my backup uke. It's solid mahogany and I'm liking the new Nylguts a lot better than the Martin Fluorocarbons I had prior to this. I'm also liking them better than the OLD Nylguts because they have a much nicer feel and are quieter when just moving your fingers from position to position on the strings.

I'm sold!

I haven't put the new ones on yet. But I just got in a buttload of sets (10) in just yesterday and noticed the packaging is different. So, what is the difference in the strings supposed to be?

That said, does anyone know if there is any difference in soprano/concert/tenor other than the length? I have all three, and I can't see any difference in the diameter of each size...

I haven't put the new ones on yet. But I just got in a buttload of sets (10) in just yesterday and noticed the packaging is different. So, what is the difference in the strings supposed to be?

That said, does anyone know if there is any difference in soprano/concert/tenor other than the length? I have all three, and I can't see any difference in the diameter of each size...
Just Strings provides string diameters and tensions for Aquila strings. I don't know if they're for the new formulation of nylgut.

Yes, the gauges of the string are progressively higher.

I still have a bunch of old stock Aquila's left, but I'll be real happy to try the squeakless variety if they have the same tone and responsiveness!

Hmm... I'll hafta go look, because side by side, they sure look the same to me. I put a set of sopranos because that was all I had left on the new Acacia concert, and I tell ya, it sounds awesome. Thats why i was wondering if they were the same or not, because if the sopranos on the concert makes it sound as sweet as it does, well.. It's gonna stay that way.. Just sayin..

Sounds like a good excuse to me! Perhaps you can buy a new one that comes with the new strings! :)

I have a stack of them that will get the new nylguts (why I bought so many sets of them). I got some settin up tado, so I better get busy I reckon...

how do ya know? the packaging? Like I said, I got in 10 sets just yesterday, and they all were new packaging I haven't seen until now.

So has anyone tried the new Aquila "BioNylon" strings?

Yes, I was one of the initial testers for the Bionylons. They were great for my Ohana whihc needed a bit of taming into mellowness. I never like Worth's on it, and the Aquila nylguts were too strident on it, I hated the black nylon Hilo's, and disliked the D'Addario nylons on it, but I loved the Biolnylons!

I'm generally not too crazy about nylon strings, but I do like the Biomylons on some ukes. They seem to be more responsive than other plain nylon strings.

So has anyone tried the new Aquila "BioNylon" strings?

So in this thread, are we talking about new "Nylgut" or "BioNylon" Aquilas?

I purchased strings, when Elderly's announced their sale. The packaging has changed, and the strings are probably different to the ones (concert aquilas) I use. Reading the different reports, it seems that way? I have not fitted any as yet. Also experimenting with low G, but they are Worth's.

The packaging is different, the strings are still white, the description on the back where the barcode is, mentions new nylgut strings, and the barcode itself refers to a code 7U and printed on the same barcode i can read CONCERT REG. There is no mention of Bio Nylon on the outside of the packet it came in.

We had a shoprt conversation about this here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44032-Have-Aquilas-changed.

I have now got the "new" nylguts on my laniaki tenor. I am not as happy with them as the old ones - they just don't seem to have the life of the "old" nylguts.
But they are MUCH better that the bioNylons which lost their life in a mtter of days.

I just strung these up on my makala dolphin yesterday.. I like them very much so far. They are settling in nicely so far!

Well I'd never used Aquila strings until about two weeks ago. The packet I ordered had "New Nylgut" written on the front, so far I'm more than happy with them on my low end uke (although I'd love for them to come in black).

Top Bottom