UFC 129 GSP vs Shields

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Anyone else sufficiently hyped for this fight card? Its on paper the best one of the year, probably the best card on paper since UFC 100.

Thing im looking forward to the most? Seeing how people who have never seen Jose aldo fight react when he steamrolls through mark homonick.

Anyone else sufficiently hyped for this fight card? Its on paper the best one of the year, probably the best card on paper since UFC 100.

Thing im looking forward to the most? Seeing how people who have never seen Jose aldo fight react when he steamrolls through mark homonick.

Aldo will win and I think he is one of the best fightrers in the world (obviously b/c he is champ:)). I think GSP will as well. I wasn't impressed with Shileds in his ufc debut.

Aldo will win and I think he is one of the best fightrers in the world (obviously b/c he is champ:)). I think GSP will as well. I wasn't impressed with Shileds in his ufc debut.

Shields is good, he is amazing grappler but I do think gap will win. His first fight in the UFC was his first back at 170 in a while and had a really bad weight cut. He was fighting at 185 in strike force because nick diaz was the 170 champ and that's his training partner. He was alway a really big welterweight and his weight cuts were bad when he was consistently fighting at 170, so when he went up to 185 and then tried to come back down i can imagine it was pretty rough. He beat some really good people (Dan henderson, yushin okami, carlos condit, Paul Daley) but he's never fought anyone of GSPs caliber.

Shields is good, he is amazing grappler but I do think gap will win. His first fight in the UFC was his first back at 170 in a while and had a really bad weight cut. He was fighting at 185 in strike force because nick diaz was the 170 champ and that's his training partner. He was alway a really big welterweight and his weight cuts were bad when he was consistently fighting at 170, so when he went up to 185 and then tried to come back down i can imagine it was pretty rough. He beat some really good people (Dan henderson, yushin okami, carlos condit, Paul Daley) but he's never fought anyone of GSPs caliber.

He is good but you are correct. GSP is just as good on the ground imo. But if GSP gets lazy, I think he could lose (think Silva v. sonnen).

The only thing I know about it is that my next door neighbor is flying out to see it.

He is good but you are correct. GSP is just as good on the ground imo. But if GSP gets lazy, I think he could lose (think Silva v. sonnen).

Shields is a top position grappler so he would need to be in mount to be effective. similar to BJ Penn's style except he's better than BJ in getting to mount from inside guard. Doubt GSP will let him get into that position though, probably will just jab his face and keep him on the outside for 5 rounds. Shields wrestling isn't that great compared to GSP.

Shields is a top position grappler so he would need to be in mount to be effective. similar to BJ Penn's style except he's better than BJ in getting to mount from inside guard. Doubt GSP will let him get into that position though, probably will just jab his face and keep him on the outside for 5 rounds. Shields wrestling isn't that great compared to GSP.

OK, Ryan what did you think? I thought Aldo's fight was fight of night even though he looked gassed. KO of night was either machidda's ko or the elbow to the nose ko. i thought the GSP/Shields fight sucked. It looked like both fighters were scared of the other. GSP is very good and he knows how to win but i expected a lot more punishment to be dished out.

I don't follow the sport all that close but watched it tonight on pay-per-view and found the title fight boring compaired to the others on the card.

I don't follow the sport all that close but watched it tonight on pay-per-view and found the title fight boring compaired to the others on the card.

there were two title fights. the last two fights. the first title fight was very good. the second one was the GSP/Shields fight. it did suck. I was watching it online and it kept freezing and lagging so I didn't get the full effect but bith fighters looked scared of each other IMO. Oh well GSP is so good, he can put on a boring fight and still win.

OK, Ryan what did you think? I thought Aldo's fight was fight of night even though he looked gassed. KO of night was either machidda's ko or the elbow to the nose ko. i thought the GSP/Shields fight sucked. It looked like both fighters were scared of the other. GSP is very good and he knows how to win but i expected a lot more punishment to be dished out.

Something seemed very off with Aldo, he just came off a pretty bad injury so I'm hoping it's just ring rust as he had an extended layoff due to this injury. It did make for a more exciting 5th round, but I'm so used to Aldo steamrolling people it was kind of dissaponting we didn't get that kind of violence. The GSP fight was about as exciting as I thought it was going to be, however I didn't expect GSP to get hit that much. It was still a pretty dominant win, but I expected him to just jab from a distance and stuff take downs. He was training with Freddie roach prior to this fight, so i kind of got the feeling he was trying to get a KO for the fans. The rest of the card was really good though, flying triangle, spinning backfire KO and a fricking CRANE KICK by lyoto. All in all good card, but so much of people's opinions of UFC cards come from the main event, no doubt some will feel disappointed.

Something seemed very off with Aldo, he just came off a pretty bad injury so I'm hoping it's just ring rust as he had an extended layoff due to this injury. It did make for a more exciting 5th round, but I'm so used to Aldo steamrolling people it was kind of dissaponting we didn't get that kind of violence. The GSP fight was about as exciting as I thought it was going to be, however I didn't expect GSP to get hit that much. It was still a pretty dominant win, but I expected him to just jab from a distance and stuff take downs. He was training with Freddie roach prior to this fight, so i kind of got the feeling he was trying to get a KO for the fans. The rest of the card was really good though, flying triangle, spinning backfire KO and a fricking CRANE KICK by lyoto. All in all good card, but so much of people's opinions of UFC cards come from the main event, no doubt some will feel disappointed.
I was impressed with the card as well. Did you watch the prelims? I watched those live but ended up watching the event online (which sucks when connection is slow). Aldo did look sluggish and rusty but I was never in doubt. I think the GSP eye thing was more bothersome than it should have been. I am suprised that shields didn't press the take down. Lyoto looks very impressive. Like the Lyoto of old IMO. I enjoyed the fights. Might have been one of the best cards in awhile.

I am a big GSP fan though his win over Shields was not that impressive. I know Shields was really a strong contender but he got outclassed in most aspects. I think the part he won was their face value after the fight. Though never really posting any threat to GSP, he still was tough to pull of an impressive performance against one who can be considered to be the top fighter pound for pound.

I am a big GSP fan though his win over Shields was not that impressive. I know Shields was really a strong contender but he got outclassed in most aspects. I think the part he won was their face value after the fight. Though never really posting any threat to GSP, he still was tough to pull of an impressive performance against one who can be considered to be the top fighter pound for pound.

I agree with you. GSP battled not for nothing his defending his records as well... GSP is still the best warrior using his mind when entering the octagon for the fight.

:D
John Galt
Ambit Energy , Sales Consultant
St. Louis, Missouri

Last edited:
Top Bottom