I have my eye on this at Elderly...any opinions?

markophonic

Reaction score
I'm looking at this LANIKAI CUSTOM SERIES KOA TENOR UKULELE at Elderly. Any opinons? yay/nay? anyone ever own or play one?

I love the look of this thing and I'm guessing it couldn't sound half bad...but I'd really love some input from you folks!

I already have a Mainland Mahogany Tenor that I really like and also have a Mainland Mahogany Concert. I purchased both of these in the last few weeks...I also have a Lanikai LU-21 That I've stripped and refinished, new tuners, bridge, saddle and nut.

Solid koa top with select koa back and sides. Flame mahogany neck, 19 fret ebony fingerboard and bridge, ebony headstock veneer, abalone rosette, flame maple, ABS and abalone multi-ply top binding, flame maple binding on back and fingerboard, gold Gotoh tuners with 18:1 gear ratio and ebony buttons plus Aquila strings. Very striking uke.
sku: NKT .. list $580.00 ours $379.00

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/NKT.htm

At least that seems to be the standard going price across the 'net. I find that Elderly is generally pricey at least on resales.

I personally wanted to have one 'hog uke and one koa. I have only played one Lanikai concert, and it was beautifully made and blinged, but very quiet. That was a couple of years ago, I don't know what they are like now. I'm sure others who do will post.

Sounds like you are well into the grip of UAS; if you can afford it; it would be nice to have a high 4th tenor and a low 4th. However I personally am contemplating having only one tenor specifically for low 4th as I also have concerts.

At that price point you are getting closer to being able to buy a K brand used. It's something to think about. My white label Kamaka concert is one of my faves, and I got it a couple of years ago for $500 locally. They might run about $600 - $650 now used depending on age and condition.

At least that seems to be the standard going price across the 'net. I find that Elderly is generally pricey at least on resales.

I personally wanted to have one 'hog uke and one koa. I have only played one Lanikai concert, and it was beautifully made and blinged, but very quiet. That was a couple of years ago, I don't know what they are like now. I'm sure others who do will post.

Sounds like you are well into the grip of UAS; if you can afford it; it would be nice to have a high 4th tenor and a low 4th. However I personally am contemplating having only one tenor specifically for low 4th as I also have concerts.

At that price point you are getting closer to being able to buy a K brand used. It's something to think about. My white label Kamaka concert is one of my faves, and I got it a couple of years ago for $500 locally. They might run about $600 - $650 now used depending on age and condition.

Definitely well on my way to UAS ;) I've long had GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). I've got about thirty guitars along with other stringed instruments like mandolins, violins, lap steels, banjos...never had a Ukulele until a few weeks ago and now they have taken over about every waking moment I'm not working. I'll definitely have a "K" within the next 6 months...I'm still just learning about ukes and will eventually pick up something "nice".

I've learned a boatload in the short time I've been here on the forum.

UAS --> Contagious Instrument AS

My brother AND our brother-from-another-mother both want lap steels now that they've experienced the ukuleles.

I've bought a lot of instruments from Elderly and their prices on new stuff is pretty standard. At least on their guitars, they do a basic setup. I have 2 solid wood Lanikais a solid Designer Series solid mahogany concert and their solid Spalted Mango tenor. Both nicely made ukes but I'm not crazy about the tone of either. Both came strung with Aquila Nylguts. Just strung the tenor with Martin flurocarbons and like the sound much better. The mahoganty concert seems a bit muted and plan to swap out the Aquilas for Worths. Have a set of Browns and a set of Clears both bought from Elderly. Haven't yet decided which to try first. They both seem to be a bit overbuilt.

Honestly, I would just save up for a K brand if you're looking for a koa tenor. You'll just be disappointed with the Lanikai, in my humble opinion.

Some fabulous Koa concerts, one on UU the other on Fleamarket for just a little more!
I am biased. Don't want to spend serious money on a Lanikai for the same reason I don't want a Hyundai. Ok for "them what likes'em."

Check out Hawaiimusicsupply for these cool slothead tenors:

Lanikai SMPT w/ case, free shipping: $299 - not as glitzy, but all "SOLID" monkeypod

Listen to clip below for Kala ASAC-T all "SOLID" acacia with case, etc. $369, $328 without the "package."
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shopybybrand/kala/kala-acacia-tenor-package

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade, but for similar monies I might opt for the all solid acacia from Kala KA-ASAC-T.

Markophonic, I own and play the Lanikai NK-T to which you refer. I purchased it "used" from Musician's Friend for $100.00 less than what Elderly is asking. The uke has a sweet tone but not a whole lot of projection. Playing in my living room it serves the purpose nicely. The set up is great with low, easy, action and no buzzes. Overall workmanship is flawless and the uke is tricked out with a bit of bling. I assume you are aware that the sides and back are not solid koa, only the top. I did away with the Aquila strings and put on Savarez New Cristal 501 series for a sound I like much better. I am not at all disappointed with the uke at the price I paid but I would not pay $379.00. Good luck with your decision and remember, it is a good thing to own more than one uke.

I'm looking at this LANIKAI CUSTOM SERIES KOA TENOR UKULELE at Elderly. Any opinons? yay/nay? anyone ever own or play one?

I love the look of this thing and I'm guessing it couldn't sound half bad...but I'd really love some input from you folks!

I already have a Mainland Mahogany Tenor that I really like and also have a Mainland Mahogany Concert. I purchased both of these in the last few weeks...I also have a Lanikai LU-21 That I've stripped and refinished, new tuners, bridge, saddle and nut.

Solid koa top with select koa back and sides. Flame mahogany neck, 19 fret ebony fingerboard and bridge, ebony headstock veneer, abalone rosette, flame maple, ABS and abalone multi-ply top binding, flame maple binding on back and fingerboard, gold Gotoh tuners with 18:1 gear ratio and ebony buttons plus Aquila strings. Very striking uke.
sku: NKT .. list $580.00 ours $379.00

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/NKT.htm
Aloha Mark,
I'd get a premimum second hand uke, for a couple hundred dollars more...Keep an eye open on UU marketplace, Flea Market Music Marketplace and Craigslist...your best bet..Good Luck...MM Stan

Markophonic, I own and play the Lanikai NK-T to which you refer. I purchased it "used" from Musician's Friend for $100.00 less than what Elderly is asking. The uke has a sweet tone but not a whole lot of projection. Playing in my living room it serves the purpose nicely. The set up is great with low, easy, action and no buzzes. Overall workmanship is flawless and the uke is tricked out with a bit of bling. I assume you are aware that the sides and back are not solid koa, only the top. I did away with the Aquila strings and put on Savarez New Cristal 501 series for a sound I like much better. I am not at all disappointed with the uke at the price I paid but I would not pay $379.00. Good luck with your decision and remember, it is a good thing to own more than one uke.

Thanks Bill Mc! You've confirmed what I suspected. Thanks for the info.

Not to rain on your parade, but for similar monies I might opt for the all solid acacia from Kala KA-ASAC-T.

You are definitely not raining on my parade :D but providing me with the type of info I was looking for.

I have a message off to UkeRepublic regarding the Kala KA-ASAC-T

You are definitely not raining on my parade :D but providing me with the type of info I was looking for.

I have a message off to UkeRepublic regarding the Kala KA-ASAC-T

After hearing it in the link I sent earlier, I don't blame you. That Kala sounds great to me an I don't like "too much bling" (a subjective thing) anyway.

Honestly, I would just save up for a K brand if you're looking for a koa tenor....

I agree, you are almost 1/2 way there already!

Top Bottom