Should I buy this?

salukulady

Reaction score
Okay, my daughter wants a baritone. Reasonably priced baritones are more rare. Three of my 9 ukes I bought from Ukuleleworld.com were from their damaged page. Two had a small cracks, one in front on the soprano I got fixed, one in back on the tenor I'm letting cure longer (the wood was obviously still green) before I fill it and the third was the neck on the baritone had pulled away from the body and my husband was able to fix successfully. I got great deals on all of them and am very happy.
Anyway, in shopping for a baritone for my daughter I found http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=1184&cat=172&page=1
What usually causes string buzz (nut, saddle, bad strings) and should I chance getting this? It's a good deal if it can be fixed. What do all you more seasoned players think?

The buzz could be a combination of things from the nut, to saddle and a fret that is too high. Hopefully, if the neck is straight, you should not have too much of a problem fixing. $99 sounds like a good deal for the problems described.

nice kala baritone
the buzz is fixable, to what i know of. Maybe they cant play ukulele and it buzzes from them.
who knows

A problem with Baritone ukes is that there is alot of tension when you string them up,this pulls the neck forward,if the uke isn't made perfectly you can get alot of problems with buzzes or high action.Guitars have a metal rod in the neck to prevent this problem,baritone ukes do not.

Okay, so I went ahead and ordered it before one of you guys beat me to it. After it arrives I post about it's buzz and how we'll fix it. I know two good luthiers so I think we'll figure it out. Thanks for all your advice!

i hate you for showing me the Luthier's Flea Market Page! But I love you more!

I wonder if I could get them for less since they are local?

Consider an Amigo - solid spruce top baritone for under $100. Sold by several sellers and competitive pricing around $70 on eBay.

Well, the uke arrived yesterday. I put aquilla low Gcea's on it and I can't make it buzz. I couldn't find the "damaged headstock" 'til one of my kids pointed out a small dent on the end. It's a beautiful uke with a rich sound.

My daughter (the one that it's for......really) was at a party when it came. When I went to pick her up, about 15 of her friends came out to the car to see the new uke. She was very happy with it. They made her play a song. It was great. I could tell she felt really good about herself.

Beautiful uke for a great price for a wonderful kid.

Sweet deal!!!!

And you can't get it buzz, nice.

I looked at it when you first posted and thought ... Hmmmmm do I need a Baritone... nawww I can barely play my Tenor!!!!!

I think I might get the Kala jazz tenor for my husband. Yes, that's it. It's for my husband. He thinks they look cool too. Yeah, if I buy it, he'll play it for sure. Uh-huh. It's mostly for him. I mean, I might just pick it up every now and then but that's it. It's not for me. ;)

I think I might get the Kala jazz tenor for my husband. Yes, that's it. It's for my husband. He thinks they look cool too. Yeah, if I buy it, he'll play it for sure. Uh-huh. It's mostly for him. I mean, I might just pick it up every now and then but that's it. It's not for me. ;)
Hey, is that the one they call the "Archtop"? It has f-holes? It's electric? My neighbor who started playing uke the same time I did, brought that one home last night on a whim. She stopped by a guitar store she and I check out once in a while for used ukes; the store is now a kala distributor. If it's the same uke your looking at, it's beautiful.....yeah, I think you hubby needs that uke too........

aren't these hilo sopranos normally like $30-$40 to begin with? regardless, i play my hilo all the time.
You may be right....I was assuming this one was solid mahogany. The fine print does not give details........

Top Bottom