Where to Start...

Leonidas

Reaction score
Ok, so I just purchased my first uke a couple days ago, and it's the first musical instrument I've ever had. I can't read music either. I was browsing through here and it seems like there is just a ton of useful info, I just don't know where to begin! Do you guys have any suggestions as to where I should start? Thanks in advance!!

Chords

C, F, G, G7, Am

scale: C major scale

Get thee the Uncle Rod's Boot camp and play that daily .

Aloha Leonidas,
Check your introduction post out, I gave you some ideas...Good Luck and Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Familiarize yourself with the ukulele. Learn the different parts, and basic terminology so you can get around here better. Learn to read tabs (takes about 5 minutes) because a whole new world opens up when you can. Learn basic theory, starting with a C scale (both on 1 string, and going through the C E and A strings), and work on chords. C, G, Am, F, G7 to start with. Just those chords and you can play basically any song in the world xD you would just have to transpose them to that key. From there, you should have a pretty good foundation to work on your own :)

I 2nd that on Uncle Rod's bootcamp and then his songbook.

I've been looking at and (trying to) playing along with some basic lessons on YouTube and they have all those chords Uncle Rod warned me about. So, play through Uncle Rod's 1-2X a day and it will help a lot.

Chords

C, F, G, G7, Am

scale: C major scale

Get thee the Uncle Rod's Boot camp and play that daily .

I've owned a uke for nearly 60 years, just started to get serious. I'm sure glad I discovered Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp on this site. Sure works a lot better than trying to pick it up only playing simple songs, at least for me. We don't all learn the same way, so try different methods...you'll get lots of suggestions here.

Top Bottom