Neil Armstrong and his Uke

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Just came across this article today. It seems the first man on the moon was also an ukulele player! Sweet. :D

93098824sr0.jpg

Blair was part of a four-man team sent aboard USS Hornet to cover the event, but he was the only radio presenter. "I was the voice that broadcast the splashdown to the world," he said. "My producer said, 'Don, I believe we've just had the biggest radio audience of all time.' I simply said, 'Thanks very much.' I was 39 at the time. To be among all these giants was an incredible privilege."

After the excitement had died down and Neil Armstrong and his crew had been safely rescued, Blair took perhaps the most iconic photograph of his professional life.

"I should have been in bed, but I thought I'd go below deck one more time. And I came across the astronaut's Mission Quarantine Vehicles (MQVs) and Armstrong standing inside his MQV strumming his ukulele." Blair, who always had his camera with him, realized the unique moment would soon pass. "I pressed my camera to the glass and banged off three shots."

It is a pensive portrait of the first man to walk on the moon.

You can read the full article here.

'tis pretty neat to know. Thanks for sharing the info, seeso!

Now my question is this: did the ukulele make it to the moon (or at least space in the command module), or did they bring it to him after they'd landed?

I guess I'll go and attempt to dig that up....

C7 chord on a Martin ukulele. Nice.

That is a really great pensive shot of someone lost in thought and playing some tunes. Wow. Awesome! I doubt the uke went to the moon. I mean if only because weight was at such a premium they were arguing over parts of ounces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom