nubie start

Mungo Park

Reaction score
With encouragement and help from Bradford I have got started on my first build, well one more baby step. I bought some lumber, Douglas Fir for the top Maple for the sides and bottom.
Next step was to get this wood cut to some workable size. I ordered a Bandsaw blade, waited 3 days for it to be made, 3 TPI I figured would do it. Spent another half day tuning up the old ancient piece of cheap metal that sits where the bandsaw should and I was good to go.
It actually worked out well. I cut one piece of Douglas Fir in to 3. I will hand plane it from here, figure the planer would eat it right up and it will be tomato mulch. I will try to get them down to .125", looking at the pieces I now figure I could go a little thinner next time they are better than I was thinking I would get. I will have to make a thickness gauge. The grain is very good in the middle and fades a little near the edges, but this is local lumber hardware store quality, the price was right for a first try. I can cut it off the edges and use the three strips if needed.
I will try the maple next. Cheers Ron.
IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited:
Good Start. I like doug fir. Here in CA you can walk into any professional lumber yard and find really nice dry top wood.

Top Bottom