New Halekoa uke, can anyone tell me about this luthier?

Teek

Reaction score
Got this one used from MGM, it is # 12, built in October 2007 by Steve Williams, Halekoa Ukulele, Honolulu. It is pretty sweet, has a thin neck like a Kamaka which I like, and just rings like a bell. It's very clear with spot on intonation and I love the headstock and use of woods. It's koa with a spruce top, with flamed maple and ebony binding. It's a keeper for sure.

I can't find any information at all on this builder online and MGM is not able to tell me anything other than what was posted on the listing page. I have found a few references to people wanting one by this maker and that it it.

I would be grateful for any information on the builder.

Halekoa5.jpgHalekoa2.jpgHalekoa3.jpgHalekoa1.jpgHalekoa6.jpg

I was trying to remember the info on Halekoa. Thanks Nuprin. The builder used to work for martin and macarthur in hawaii. they build high end furniture out of koa. He started building ukes on the side.

So YOU'RE the one who bought it! I played it at the Cerritos fest, LOVED it, told myself I didn't need another soprano, and drove home to Santa Monica. Whereupon I almost promptly turned around and drove back to Cerritos.

Instead I called MGM, who told me he hadn't sold it yet but had already packed up and was returning to HI. He asked me to call him the next day to make purchasing arrangements, and when I did, he told me he had been mistaken and it had sold. But all's well that ends well, a week later my first Kamaka concert landed in my lap :)

And your assessment of the uke is exactly what drew me to it - thin neck, clear as a bell, perfect intonation. I'm happy to hear that it's in good hands.

that sure is nice. I always enjoy hearing of different uke builders

I too own a Halekoa that I purchased from MGM only mine is a Tenor. I purchased it because I really like the sustain that this uke produces. It plays so easily and smoothly--for sure it is my current favorite uke. I hope that you really enjoy yours.

Thanks Nuprin! And everyone else who posted. I went through the website and I was only the 15th person to visit, so I am not surprised that Steven is not up in the Google search rankings yet. The gallery is 3 tenors and a soprano.

Shrink9, is yours that cedar top tenor still on MGM's YouTube channel? He didn't make a video for this, but I looked at 3 others he had up. What strings do you like best? I asked for flourocarbon on it and it is strung up with clears, but they don't look like Worths. I may swap them out for Alohis, but I have never tried Alohis before.

Janeray1940, it seems that if it was sold after Cerritos, it fell through, because it was on auction 3 weeks ago, and I was the only bidder. I have to say if I needed to choose between this uke and my Kamaka concert it would be extremely tough. I'm in Santa Monica too, so if you want to visit it let me know. You will have to play it for me though, I love to hear people with actual skill play my ukes. :)

Last edited:
Janeray1940, it seems that if it was sold after Cerritos, it fell through, because it was on auction 3 weeks ago, and I was the only bidder. I have to say if I needed to choose between this uke and my Kamaka concert it would be extremely tough. I'm in Santa Monica too, so if you want to visit it let me know. You will have to play it for me though, I love to hear people with actual skill play my ukes. :)

Hmmmm, wonder what the story is there. Maybe the other sale fell through... or Halekoa made two similar ukes??

I didn't know you were in Santa Monica. If you're interested in meeting up with local uke folks, let me know, because there is fairly regular meeting-up going on :) And I'd love to play the Halekoa, although I'm not so sure that I have actual skill!

Teek, mine is a koa/spruce tenor. Here are a couple of pics for you. It is absolutely gorgeous and plays so well!

Attachments

• Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom b.jpg
    Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom b.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom d.JPG
    Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom d.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom l.jpg
    Halekoa Ukulele Koa Spruce TENOR Custom l.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 40
That is an awesome tenor, what a beauty! I really like how he builds. I feel he has a really good eye for form, and the quality is excellent.

Aloha Teek,
There are 5 Steven Williams and 1 Steve Williams listed in the Honolulu Telephone Book...Pm me if you are intrested in the phone numbers....MM Stan

MM Stan, thank you so much! I checked the link posted previously, he does use Steven. I sent him an email so I'll see if he responds before I try calling. His website says "Steven is currently dividing his time making ukuleles and working at the Arts & Crafts Center at Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu."

Shrink9, the cedartop tenor on his About Us page looks like yours.

Steve offers an ukulele making class at the Arts & Crafts Center at Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu. If you have base access you are most likely able to take the class. You will need to take the wood shop safety class prior to registering. The cost of the safety class is $20, the cost of the ukulele class is $515. I am enrolled in the current class.

The HAFB Arts and Craft site is; http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/recreation/arts-crafts

Top Bottom