Hitachi Ukulele Contest Controversy

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Where there's a contest, there's controversy. Read on for the news...

Uke-strumming school turned off by soft-p*** rival
JO MOIR

A school is crying foul that a video linked to a soft-core p*** website has destroyed its chances of winning a nationwide ukulele competition.

Tiny Uruti School, which has only eight pupils, had been running second in the competition, which requires contestants to upload to YouTube a video of them playing the ukulele and singing the Hitachi song.

But in the last week a video focusing heavily on a ukulele player's cleavage has surged to the front.

It has drawn thousands of hits – which mean votes – because it is linked to an R18 website. Its tally last night was nearing 400,000, while the nearest competitor has a mere 37,000 votes.

Uruti principal Pauline Sutton said she had been left feeling sick about ever entering the competition.

"I think Hitachi is making a huge mistake and are showing a complete lack of moral standards.

"Now we're being discriminated against because our supporters are no longer voting for us because they can't protect their children from going online and watching these other videos."

Hitachi sales and marketing manager Todd Parkin said he was aware of complaints being made about the video, which only recently entered the competition.

"All entrants will now have to provide us with statistics detailing what sites their votes came from and if we deem those sites to be inappropriate or unacceptable within the spirit of the competition then they will be disqualified."

He said that until the competition closed and Hitachi received voting statistics from all the entrants he was unable to comment on any possibility of disqualification.

"If they have used websites that are deemed inappropriate or unacceptable then we will deal with that then."

Mrs Sutton said Uruti School took online safety seriously but was now part of a competition that did not support it.

The competition, which awards a $10,000 cash prize, has been running since March 28 and closes at 10 o'clock tonight.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dai...trumming-school-turned-off-by-soft-p***-rival

And, since I know you're going to search for it anyway (like I did), here's the cleavage video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzEs4Iv1S0A

Here's the link to the contest:
http://www.hitachiday.co.nz/

Last edited:
I looked for a uke in that video, but couldn't find one.

As for the contest, a simple rule: "Any content deemed scatological or racy by the judges will be disqualified." I always put a "taste clause" in my contests. They SHOULD have thought of that.

Racy and controversial will always give you an edge...be careful when post any type of video..it will always be under the microscope...in this case, you don't need one..:)

Wow! I watched it a couple times because I was trying to um.... figure out the chords and play along. Yeah, thats it..

Boobs like that are $1500. Really affordable.

Its a good investment. $1500 for a $10,000 prize.

I wonder if other companies are aware of this return on investment. You'd think banks would be giving out loans for ukulele contests.

Sore losers???? Bull! This entry into a "Uke" contest deserves to be at the bottom or disqualified if it constitutes an "adult performance." Isn't hindsight great?

People need to lighten up, I think she was creative. I am guessing that the people trying to get the video disqualified are uptight Americans. As far as I know, a boob never hurt anybody.

Or two...

I don't see anything wrong with it. A little cleavage and America goes bezerk! If the judges were from Miami Beach they wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I actually thought it was kind of a funny video...but I also think that the violence in movies and video games is probably far more detrimental to kids than seeing a girl in a bikini.:confused:

I liked it. I thought it was fun :)...... does that mean that I just voted for it???

I'm waiting for a luthier to come out with a new "she" uke, with 2 curves built into the top. Seems rather odd to have a place holder for only one of them. :p
Might be a little tight on a soprano though.

Am I the only one who noticed that she isn't playing uke at all? Not holding chords or touching strings when strumming.......(said the married man)

Top Bottom