Warped Wood Sets?

ukegirl13

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased some nice figured Sapele Pomelle and Waterfall Bulbinga. I didn't notice it being warped when I recieved it but the next day I noticed it. Both sets are fairly thick (1/8th"). The Sapelle I have to return it's got too much of a warp and the Bulbinga I'm considering keeping, it's got just a little wave of a warp at the bottom of the back pieces. The sets came from Oregon and I am in San Francisco.

What I want to ask is I've never had this problem in purchasing sets before and want to know if I could have done something to avoid this. Like I said I did not notice it when I first opened them up. I did not sticker them but they were laid flat. Or should I not purchase from this supplier again? Were they not dried enough by the supplier? And your thoughts on keeping the Bulbinga. Thanks everyone. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Could it be a difference in humidities? Even in SF the local differences in RH can be dramatic ei: the Mission district vs. the Sunset. If the wood came from a luthiers tonewood supply, it should be dry.
Any wood that has warped can be un warped. These things just take time. I personally would never buy wood from a distant location and attempt to build with it any time soon. Wood is best left to rest in the environment it will be built in for a considerable length of time. I know you are more than just a serious hobbiest. With that in mind, you should be buying wood for next years' ukes today.

Could it be a difference in humidities? Even in SF the local differences in RH can be dramatic ei: the Mission district vs. the Sunset. If the wood came from a luthiers tonewood supply, it should be dry.
Any wood that has warped can be un warped. These things just take time. I personally would never buy wood from a distant location and attempt to build with it any time soon. Wood is best left to rest in the environment it will be built in for a considerable length of time. I know you are more than just a serious hobbiest. With that in mind, you should be buying wood for next years' ukes today.

I see... and let it sit for a couple of years? And how do I unwarp it? Sticker it?
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate your input.

No, not years necessarily. But weeks at least, maybe months. If they are dry I'd press the pieces between something flat and heavy, then go away for a while. If it's a moisture problem it'll correct itself if you sticker it. Wood moisture meters are wonderful instruments. Without knowing your moisture content you're pretty much flying in the dark.
I can't stress enough that wood likes to be relaxed and comfortable in a constant, stable environment before it's turned into an instrument. You'll be putting it under enough stress as it is once you begin shaping and bending things. It never pays off to rush this part.

Ok very good. I will put it underneath something flat and heavy. I'd hate to return it. Both the sets are very, very nice. It will be hard to be patient before I use them, but I have others to work on in the meantime.

Thanks again Chuck. Appreciate it! Now to figure out how to post pictures...

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does "sticker it" mean?

To sticker wood is to store wood flat with small pieces of wood (or probably some other kinds of material) in between to stack one piece of flat wood above another with air in between. If that makes sense... Two planks of wood with little pieces of wood at both ends in between the wood to let air in between while it is being stored.

Tried to make a picture, but didn't work. :(

Last edited:
If its cupped, you can wet the outside of the cup and set the wood out in the sun with the wet side up and it will come out of it in a short amount of time. You need to check on it every few minutes so you don't cup it the other direction. Then sticker and put it away for a couple months.

I am glad that I saw this thread. I was just about to ask exact the same question.

@ukegirl13, I hope you don't mind that I ask questions in your thread.

I bought some koa sets from a seller from Koloa, Hawaii. The seller is a tonewood supplier and he sold a lot of koa sets.
When I got those sets, they are very flat and nice. But after a week, all the pieces are warped.
The koa wood sets were kiln/air-dried. I am in San Diego, so I don't think it is more humid than Hawaii.
I wonder what makes the dried wood warped?

is it not good idea to start building with warped wood? (if the wood is dry enough).

Thank you

The wood you bought from your supplier in Hawaii was likely kept in a climate controlled atmosphere. If you store the wood and build in a relatively dry climate (which you should), it should flatten out back to it's original shape. Again, it's hard enough to do a good job when the wood is flat. Why would you want to lessen your chances of success?
Honestly, the wood is probably better off back in Hawaii. Please feel free to send it to me.

Top Bottom