hello again, from Atlanta

23skidoo

Reaction score
Howdy folks-

Thought I'd formally introduce myself after saying hello and posting in a few threads....

Just got my first uke last week and already posted my first mediocre video in the 'Healing Powers of the Uke' thread for MGM.

I'm really diggin the ukulele. I've played guitar for quite a while, but always pretty casually, drinking beer and strumming tunes with a few friends. Earlier this year, I played with a real bluegrass player (the style I've always favored most) and got some pretty serious chops envy. So I started practicing like a madman and the more I got into it, the more I started getting into the theory and technique of jazz - a style I've always listened to and know a little about (high school jazz band on tenor saxophone). I found great online lessons and a wonderful forum at www.jazzguitar.be - some real pros post there and are very generous with their knowledge, if anyone is interested.

Several weeks ago, my 7 year old daughter and I saw one of the youtube videos of the young Asian kid going to town with the uke and my daughter was hooked on the idea of getting one - I've been showing her some basic stuff on a small scale electric guitar we've got around the house and she wanted to try the uke. Her insistence finally inspired my own interest and, long story short, we now have a uke.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about it and it's so much fun to play. I'm trying hard not to treat it as a tiny guitar since it has such a distinctive sound and style all its own. Aldrine's lessons are great and I'm excited about figuring out how to arrange my favorite tunes for the little guy and get a real 'uke' sound out of it.

Thanks in advance for all the help to come and hopefully I can contribute some once we get going. I've been showing my daughter some of the videos posted by members here and she's really into it. I think we're going to have a blast learning together and gettin our uke on.

Bill

Welcome to UU & we hope to see you at Cool Beans Tuesday evening - lots of ukes & lively players of every skillset.

Talked to Uke Rep today. He said the U900 ukes are supposed to come in Tuesday, so he should have one at the jam. Fun.

thanks for the welcome and the invite. I'd love to come, seen the youtube vids and it looks like y'all have fun, but I'm coaching Mia's soccer team and we practice Tuesday nights.... the season ends in just a few weeks, so I'll make it eventually.... look forward to getting to know everyone....

thanks for the welcome and the invite. I'd love to come, seen the youtube vids and it looks like y'all have fun, but I'm coaching Mia's soccer team and we practice Tuesday nights.... the season ends in just a few weeks, so I'll make it eventually.... look forward to getting to know everyone....

Keep yer eye on it. The nights tend to move around between Monday and Wednesday, at least on the West side so who knows?

Top Bottom