Saddle replacement

(the) Indigo Getdown

Reaction score
Howdy, hope all you UUG folks are doing well today :)

I dropped by a few weeks ago trying to dig up some dirt on an old uke I have and think I'm finally ready to see if I can make it playable again. The main problem is that the saddle busted off at some distant point in the past (check out the photo) and I'm all but ignorant how to go about replacing/repairing it.

Any tips on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
Have you tried taking out that screw and seeing if the bridge just falls off without the screw? I would want to take that screw out and make sure the bridge is properly glued down. Then you could fill the hole left by the screw and while the bridge was off, more easily pull that old saddle out. Mike at Mainland ukulele sells bone saddles.

If that saddle is glued in, you may have to carefully dig it out. I am not a luthier, but a do it myself type of guy. If glued, I would carefully cut the sides of the channel with a razor, going slow, keeping it straight up and down, then take out pieces until you get the whole old saddle out. Others might have better techniques.....

However, I would start with making sure the whole bridge was properly attached.....might be easiest to work on the bridge if it were off the uke. Then you don't risk damage to the uke!

You may get more responses in the "Luthier's Lounge"

Aloha TIG,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....looks like someone did a lousy and quick fis on the bridge and by looking around the bridge, the wood around the bridge looks like it is untreated and may be set wrong or
intentionally reset...just can't tell with the pictures..If you haven't done setting a bridge or have no experience before, I suggest you take it to a luthier...even the slightest off will affect the tone...
Good Luck, Happy Strummings..

Last edited:
Ryan, you know, it never even occured to me to take the screw out and see if it was holding anything together. That said, I just popped it out and the bridge is stuck on there nice and tight. I may take your suggestion and try cutting out what's left of the saddle with a razor. Not sure if it'll work in this particular case, but I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy too, so I figure it's worth a shot. And Stan, I think the bridge is set pretty well actually, it's difficult to tell from pictures though. Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em comin' if you got 'em.

You may get more responses in the "Luthier's Lounge"
Would it be best to get this thread moved or should I go ahead and make a new one over there? I've no clue what the policy on cross-posting here is.

Top Bottom