Bad strings

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with strings being bad straight out of the pack?I ask because I have several times,it seems that sometimes the strings aren't made to the correct tension.So if you tune it to the correct tension for C or E or whatever the string is supposed to be,it buzzes or sounds like crap,but if you tune it sharp or higher,the buzz disappears.

Yes, I've had it happen with a couple of packs of Aquilas. I think it's just one of those things that's bound to happen from time to time.

Same here - I once got a bum set of Aquila's, and a freaky set of Ko'olau Gold's...

In both cases, the bad strings caused the uke's intonation to be off... very very weird.

The Koaloha strings that came with the uke, which I don't think are far removed from Worths but now it's a bit tougher to know just what the difference is now between all these flourocarbon strings - was a full half-step flat at the 12th fret after playing for not too long, weeks. The uke itself was very new. I bought it in June (or early July), and it was built in June. I can't imagine that they'd go so flat so quick with such little play time... unless maybe someone went too far with the stretching, like they were aquilas or something.

Or it could have just been a bum set. Woodwind players get bum reeds all the time. Why not strings?

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one with this experience.Aquila's are nice sounding strings,my favorite when they are right ,but that was the brand that I was refering to.

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one with this experience.Aquila's are nice sounding strings,my favorite when they are right ,but that was the brand that I was refering to.

I've turned over a new leaf, so to speak, and will attempt to no longer diss a brand of `ukulele string, not because they are popular and everyone likes them, but because I just don't use them and if I ain't got nothing nice to say about them, I'll just appreciate that they are a business doing what they do. Besides, a number of my peers use them as stock strings, and their instruments sound good with them on.

That being said, deach, the secret once again is no secret - D'Addario Pro Arte Series and Savarez Alliance Series. I'll step out on a limb and say that Fred and Aaron may be able to comment. These strings are not for everyone, but they work for me and my clients.

-Aaron

That being said, deach, the secret once again is no secret - D'Addario Pro Arte Series and Savarez Alliance Series. I'll step out on a limb and say that Fred and Aaron may be able to comment. These strings are not for everyone, but they work for me and my clients.

-Aaron

I tried the EJ46's on a spruce top I had. While I loved the smooth feel of them, they sounded too mellow for me. Keep in mind, I'm still very new to all this.

I've also played Aquiila's for forever in all the different sizes, and have only had bum tenor set. But it had two strings that were messed up. The intonation probelm went away when I replaced the two offending strings. It was MGM who suggested that the strings were the problem, and indeed they were.

Also had only one set of Ko'olau strings that caused an intonation problem, but the replacemtn set was just fine...

So I don't think it happens very often, but once in a while it does!

I string up ukes everyday at work,typically there is not a problem.I've only had this happen within the past few months and only on E strings at first,now occasionally the C string as well.We actually called Aquilla in Italy and they admitted that they had also discovered the issue and replaced our strings.It became apparent after stringing up dozens of ukes and alot mysteriously had a buzz on the first fret,but this buzz dissappeared when tuning them up sharp.Aquilla's are still my preference overall,unless this continues to be a problem.

I'd love to try D'Addarios but Juststrings price gouges on shipping to the tune of some 40 bucks. I'd have to buy more strings then I'd ever need only to see if I like them or not. Any other sources that ship outside the US?

I'm happy bouncing back and forth from Worths to Aquilas, depending on how the mood strikes me. I think only the Koaloha soprano and Kala aqua tenor DEMAND their string types. Everything else is just as the mood strikes.

deach, you may want to try the 50's. The black nylon composition matches well with Spruce tops - I like the 46's on Koa or Mahogany boards.

plainsong,
I'm putting in another order for both D'Addarios and Savarez. I can stick some in a Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelope for you - $11.95 shipping. The strings I bring in are for Tenors, so if you want a set, pm me and we'll work something out. For a Kala, I would recommend the high tension strings, but that's up to you. I'm bringing in both high and normal tension, in two different compositions for the D'Addarios, and red an blue cards for Savarez.

Once MGM gets back, I'll contact him about bringing in Savarez direct as a distributor (so I can just pick them up from him myself).

-Aaron

deach, you may want to try the 50's. The black nylon composition matches well with Spruce tops - I like the 46's on Koa or Mahogany boards.
-Aaron

thanks. I recently sent that uke away but I do have a custom spruce top coming. I will give it a try.

Yeah, but I need concert size, I remember we had that problem before. Thanks anyway though. :)

That's right, I forgot. Age I guess.

thanks. I recently sent that uke away but I do have a custom spruce top coming. I will give it a try.

Umm, if its a custom, I'd like to think the strings are already matched to the instrument.

I had a client order a Myrtle/Spruce, and wanted a certain set of strings. I told him that those strings really don't match, and if he was adamant about it, I'd refer him to a friend that builds with those strings. He realized that it sort of defeats the purpose in ordering a custom if what he was really ordering was strings. Of course, I installed the strings he wanted, and he wasn't happy. End of story - cut a new nut, redo saddle, and change the strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom