Helen Keller's Ukulele

janeray1940

Reaction score
This video came through my feed reader this morning via Ukulele Hunt, and I was reminded that months ago a friend recommended I check out Helen Keller's Ukulele.

I'm sorry that I waited so long - she's really good! I'm not usually very enamored of the singer/songwriter ukulele types; generally I prefer solo uke instrumentals. But I've been listening to this album all morning and really loving it, so I figured it was worth sharing here :)

Oh, very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing. I always love being exposed to new music.

Too funny, I thought... "Helen Keller played a ukulele". Thanks for sharing that. I am listening as I type and hoping to hear an accordion soon, as well as the ukulele. My other instrument is an accordion. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks, sounds really nice! May have to add it to my "to-buy" list!

Very nice!

I am listening as I type and hoping to hear an accordion soon, as well as the ukulele. My other instrument is an accordion. Thanks for sharing with us.

You're welcome! I wonder how many among us are captivated by the accordion also. I've wanted one for a long time but I'm not so sure that my landlord, who shares a wall with me, would appreciate it quite as much as he claims to enjoy my ukulele playing :)

My first instrument (at 6 years old) was the accordian and I took lessons for 6 years. When I took up the uke at 46 I was having a terrible time trying to learn and understand the circle of fifths until I made a discovery. The circle of fifths is in the same order as the left hand buttons on an accordian... I already knew it and it's "burned in" to my memory from 40 years ago! I still have a tough time seeing it as a "circle" rather than a row of buttons...

Yes, highly recommended! I don't meet a lot of other ukulele players at the songwriter shows I play here in Chicago (Narciso Lobo is of course the most prominent). Just last month I played a regularly occurring songwriters showcase which always features a visiting, touring artist. Lucky for me Helen Kellers Ukulele was the visiting artist of the night! She's a wonderful writer w/ a great sense of humor.

Ryan Suzuka
http://www.youtube.com/user/ryansuzukamusic

The circle of fifths is in the same order as the left hand buttons on an accordian... I already knew it and it's "burned in" to my memory from 40 years ago! I still have a tough time seeing it as a "circle" rather than a row of buttons...

You just may have given me the perfect excuse to get myself an accordion :)

Uke

Thanks for the compliment. I was very privileged to meet dear Ryan and lend him a battery. His wit was very much appreciated and his songs. I had a great time in Chicago. I will definitely be back. California may take awhile, though. ;)

My first instrument (at 6 years old) was the accordian and I took lessons for 6 years. When I took up the uke at 46 I was having a terrible time trying to learn and understand the circle of fifths until I made a discovery. The circle of fifths is in the same order as the left hand buttons on an accordian... I already knew it and it's "burned in" to my memory from 40 years ago! I still have a tough time seeing it as a "circle" rather than a row of buttons...
Now take that a step further...If you can remember the buttons up as fifths, you surely can remember them down as fourths. THat is how I transpose to Baritone (well, did until my wife told me she was tired of trying to do it as well).
Long live the accordion!

Top Bottom