average amount of frets

theukekid284

Reaction score
hey guys a few minutes ago i was learning the office theme then found out i'm short 2 frets on my lankai pineapple uke (my only uke)
as it has 12 frets and the song goes up to 14.

well i was just wondering what a good amount of frets was and if i just had too few.

so if i do have too few frets can someone link me to a uke with enough frets for around $100-$150 NZD thanks.

First, don't let "fret envy" get you down. Twelve is plenty for the ukulele. Lanikai's pineapple uke great!

You can play high notes an octave down. It usually sounds nice, and it engages your musical imagination (when you "hear" those notes an octave up).

And don't worry about looking for a bigger uke if you like the size and sound of your soprano. I have a couple 13" (or so) scale sopranos with 15 and 16 frets. Just (patiently) look around for one with more frets. I believe Ohana makes a few reasonably priced sopranos with 15 frets. I'm not sure if the price as reasonable in NZD as it is in USD, though.

..... a good amount of frets ........
Number. Number of frets. Number for things you can count - amount for things you can't. Number of frets - amount of sand.
I agree with TheOnlyUkeThatMatters - 12 is plenty. Especially if you're like me and only ever play CFGAE7 anyway ;-)

You can play high notes an octave down. It usually sounds nice, and it engages your musical imagination (when you "hear" those notes an octave up).

well all im looking for then is a replacement for picking an e string 14th fret and 17th fret.
im pretty new to ukulele and my understanding isnt that great how would you recomend doing this?

Well, e-string 14 and 17 are the same as a-string 9 and 12.

Jens

well it turns out im cabbage and what im actually looking for is a replacement for 14th and 17th on A instead of E like i said sorry guys

well it turns out im cabbage and what im actually looking for is a replacement for 14th and 17th on A instead of E like i said sorry guys

OK,
A 14 is a B which you'll find on A 2, E 7, C 11 and G 4. All of these are one octave lower than A 14.

A 17 is a D which you'll find on A 5, E 10, C 2 and G 7. One octave down except for C 2 which is two octaves down.

well i was just wondering what a good amount of frets was and if i just had too few.
A handful would be the 'average' amount... ;-)

As for the average number, it would depend on scale. On a soprano, probably 14-15, 18 on a tenor, up to 20 on a baritone. But on many ukes, especially shorter scales, anything above the 12th fret is difficult to play.

Top Bottom