free online music hosting recommendations (as in, please give me some)

gioconbrio

Reaction score
I have a myspace account for my music, but don't really use it anymore. I'm looking for a good site that will host my songs for free and allow people to download them, again, for free.

Don't know if it's what you want, but http://soundcloud.com/ has a nice layout. I feel safe there listening to music and not like I'm being bombed by ads.

Bandcamp.com. You can put up music for free streaming, for pay, for pay-what-you-wish...anything you like. Another great thing is that they offer higher resolution (Lossless) file downloads. You get a limited amount of downloads for free a month...something like 500, I think.

I've been using 4shared.com because that's the first one I found a little over a year ago.

There may be others, but 4shared is FREE ( you can pay for more space if you really need it),
but you also need to access your account at least once a month to keep it active.

See below my signature.

Keep uke'in',

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out.

Archive.org.

Their upload system is a little clunky - there's no way to set your tracks in order other than putting numbers in the titles - but it's completely free and doesn't come with any annoying gotchas.

So I went with Bandcamp first. I might try boxed, too, now that I know you can embed it on myspace. Bandcamp is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing, but 200 free downloads a month might not cut it (although my popularity is not such for that to be an issue yet).

That's true, but not really what I'm looking for since I like to offer the uncompressed aif files rather than youtube's mediocre audio and my "studio" recordings tend to not make it to video.

I'm with Pippin on this. I think youtube is the best place for exposure and where people can easily find your work.

That's true, but not really what I'm looking for since I like to offer the uncompressed aif files rather than youtube's mediocre audio and my "studio" recordings tend to not make it to video.
You can always offer a link to download a HQ audio file in your comments section. For "studio" recordings, you can use something like Windows Movie Maker to add titling and a few images like a slideshow. I think pics of the uke being played would be perfect. :)

Top Bottom