PDA

View Full Version : Whose uke buzzes?

ItsAMeCasey
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a new Kala SMHTE and love it besides the fact that the third string first fret buzzes! Should this be expected with a new uke? And I was wondering if you guys feel a string buzz is acceptable, because even though it's not noticeable when playing songs, I still know it's there and it drive me crazy! Should I just let it be? Your thoughts please!

bazmaz
05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
It's not right, and it could be a whole heap of things.

Look at this post, then work your way through the possibilities.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

mm stan
05-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Aloha Brah,
Eh Casey where did you buy it from..take it back..unda warranty yet...there should be no bee's free in your ukulele ...ha ha Happy Strummings..MM Stan

GVlog
05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
It shouldn't buzz.

If the action, neck angle, relief (if any), or fret leveling are not right and cannot be rectified easily by yourself, then you should contact the dealer/factory for service or a return while you are still in warranty.

SailingUke
05-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I would get it looked at while it is new. Most of the time a buzz is a minor fix.
It may be a minor buzz now, but depending on the cause may grow into something major.
There are way too many causes of buzz, from a bad string to improperly set neck.
Common on a new instrument is string height at the nut and/or saddle and a high fret.

ItsAMeCasey
05-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. If worse comes to worst i'm probably just going to return it, but for now I'm just gonna see if it's a minor fix. I really dig the look and feel of this uke, just hate the buzz. The funny thing is that the string only buzzes when I play over the sound hole. When I pick on the very top of the neck (the area that's attached to the body) there's no buzz. Strange..

oh and MM Stan, I bought it from Easy Music Center in Pearl City haha. The guy selling me it did a good job with convincing me that there was nothing wrong even when I pointed out that the string buzzed. Said it was natural lol. I guess I shouldn't have been so gullible. You live and you learn I suppose!

OldePhart
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, instruments shouldn't buzz and people who say it's natural should be shot. That being said, if it's buzzin' when you pick over the hole more than when you pick further up towards the neck that indicates the problem may be at the bridge and may be pretty easy to fix. Sometimes the string doesn't "break" cleanly over the bridge and it will kind of "squirm" against the top of the bridge.

BTW, prefered picking/strumming point is up around the 12th fret anyway for the smoothest, "roundest" tone. Only pick over the soundhole or near the bridge if you're intentionally going for a more trebley, gritty sound.

John

ItsAMeCasey
05-03-2011, 07:25 PM
That's good to hear! It's also much easier for me to pick on top of the neck rather than over the sound hole, so this is very good news for me :) I'm 90% sure i'm gonna stay with this uke. I just like the look and feel too much, and over the past couple days we sort of bonded lol. I think you guys would know what i'm talking about haha!

cashew
05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
it sounds like it could be around the bridge... Or the electronics are shaking around when you play that close to it...

A good set-up though will stop most buzzes :)

ItsAMeCasey
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I was thinking about the electronics shaking around but wouldn't they shake around regardless if I was holding down the first fret? But I don't know much about the technical aspects of the ukulele, I just like to jam lol :)

OldePhart
05-04-2011, 07:34 AM
That's good to hear! It's also much easier for me to pick on top of the neck rather than over the sound hole, so this is very good news for me :) I'm 90% sure i'm gonna stay with this uke. I just like the look and feel too much, and over the past couple days we sort of bonded lol. I think you guys would know what i'm talking about haha!

I think it's probably at least a small part of what makes the ukulele so magical. At least for soprano and concert size ukes, they are very easy to hold and when holding them the fingers naturally fall right in the "sweet spot" for strumming.

SailingUke
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Buzzes are hard to locate. Sometimes they are like a water leak and travel.
The buzz can be one place and heard in another. The string vibration when fretting the first fret might just be the frequency that sets it off.
Check your tuners and any wires inside to see if they are the source. If you are using a clip on tuner check it too.
I had a friend whose uke was buzzing, I found it was the end-pin jack that was loose, a slight tightening and we were good to go.
One thing you might do is change the buzzing string, sometimes the diameter is off and it buzzes.

strange62
05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I just built one, and the fifth fret is too high causing it to buzz... what are some quick fixes for this?

OJB
05-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I also had this problem.I was able to fix it because one of the "handles" not sure of right terminology, on a tuning peg was rattling so just need tightening with screwdriver. It does it on a particular note because thats the resonant frequency of the loose part.

mm stan
05-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Aloha Casey,
Give them a call back...I bought many instruments from Easy Music Center from way back in the early seventies..and they never did me any wrong..must have been a bad salesman...they them
you got bees it your ukulele..ha ha... do it before they say it's too late to exchange or return..should be under warranty..

Nickie
05-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I agree, I would definatley address it soon, if you are going to keep the uke. Mine buzzed really badly at the C string, so I took it back, and the luthier adjusted that string behind the saddle... now it just buzzes on a few frets when I hammer that string too hard, so I am learning to strum with less zeal, so to speak...