OK... I finally admit it, Makala Dolphins DON'T suck!

casarole45

Reaction score
Well I've always snubbed Makala Dolphins, I played a heap in a shop and thought they were terrible. Anyway a while ago I bought one for £10 on ebay. It looked a shocking piece of engineering, the body was wider on one side than the other and the paint job was not much better, but it was something fun for my 2 year old daughter.

So I restrung it with some concert Aquila's and oh my god. The tone has a beautiful harmonic bell like quality. In fact I prefer it to some (yes more than one) K brand/K brand equivilents in tonal qualities.

Even after this though I refused to acknowedge it as a proper ukulele but the recent thread has made me reassess my evaluation.

So as wrong and controversial as I feel writing this, credit where credit is due... the Makala Dolphin does not suck... in fact it is rather good. I may even put it in my sig.

But I really think its worth you guys trying the concert size of Aquila's it gives it such a loud and tonal presence.

All the best
James

Last edited:
They are pretty amazing when strung decently and given a nudge on the setup.

I gig with mine regularly!!

They are pretty amazing when strung decently and given a nudge on the setup.

I gig with mine regularly!!

Do you ever get any kids in the crowd who love it because it's brightly coloured?
I ask because my nieces are constantly after my purple ukulele :D

Aloha casarole45,
I've got a candy red and black sparkle dolphins in my classroom and my GATE students always reach for those two first before the other Mahalo 'ukuleles. I also strung them up with Aquila concerts because the local 'ukulele hut was out of soprano sets. The school's 'ukulele club is currently fundraising to buy more Makala Dolphins, we're up to about 45 students from Kinder to 5th grade.

Mason671

I just bought my granddaughter a red burst Dolphin. I couldn't justify buying one for myself. I couldn't wait to get my hands on that baby and it is awesome. I agree dolphins don't suck. ha ha

But I really think its worth you guys trying the concert size of Aquila's it gives it such a loud and tonal presence.
Yes, that's my Dolphin, I really like it!. Sounds great and plays nicely. And of course it's cute, green burst.

In praise of Dolphins. I have one of mine rigged with FRICTION tuners :)

Attachments

• frictiondolphin2.jpg
    frictiondolphin2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • frictiondolphin1.jpg
    frictiondolphin1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
Aloha James,
All Dolphins or ukes are not created equal...there are the great ones, the good ones.. and well..you know.. choose well. get it set up and put on good strings and you'll be a Happy uker...

Top Bottom