New Uke Day - G String Edition!

Skottoman

Reaction score
Hi,
So after a visit to Kauai in 2010, I spotted a G-string C1 Sun model. As of last month I still didn't have one, and have learned that G-String is no longer making ukuleles. I saw a REALLY nice curly koa version sell here on UU just a few months back. That was the last straw. I started my search.

Contacted Sam at Larry's music in Kauai, and he located the last one he could find for me! No curly Koa, but very nice none the less. There are a few flaws, but nothing I can't live with. It's a great size and is quite a looker!

So my birthday is next month, and my wife said she'd buy the uke for me for a present, but I'd have to wait until June to 'open' it. Well that didn't last long, and she gave in and let me have it NOW!!! :D

It's beautiful, and plays nicely. I will probably change strings to Fremont Blackines, or Worth clears. I'm not a fan of Hilos.

Also, does anyone know how to decipher the serial numbers?
Mine says 59 059 on the wood label inside...

Anyway, here it is in all it's Uke p*** glory!
Cheers,
Skottoman

gstring1.jpg

gstring2.jpg

gstring3.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your early birthday gift - enjoy.

I believe Derek Shimizu is residing on the Big Island and I think he still does some building but not full time.

Very nice! The G-String concert Sun is one of those ukes I've always wanted, but for one reason or another never pulled the trigger on one. Yours look great. Congrats!

Absolutely LOVE your Sun G-String! I love mine that I bought off of Nuprin here on UU & love it more since I replaced the tuners w/Pegheds. Mine is a longneck soprano, so the concert scale w/the smaller soprano body is my favorite combination. I've got Worth clears on mine. I'm travelling this week & didn't bring it w/me this time or I'd check the s/n of mine for comparison. Another thing to note is whose initials are on the neck block; which denotes who worked on your particular uke.

Just gorgeous!

Last edited:
I'm travelling this week & didn't bring it w/me this time or I'd check the s/n of mine for comparison. Another thing to note is whose initials are on the neck block; which denotes who worked on your particular uke.

Hi! I looked in the soundhole, and don't see any initials on the neckblock or anywhere else for that matter.
Would still love to find out what 59 059 means. Also the first 2 numbers "59" are about a millimeter lower than the "059".
Cheers,
Skottoman

Sweeeeet - happy early birthday. I'd even be willing to start celebrating birthdays again if I could snag something that nice out of the deal - LOL

Aloha Skottoman,
Congrats..Wow it is really a nice uke...too bad you cant play it yet...well maybe a sneak strum and let us know how it sounds..ha ha now I gave you a reason if you get caught by your wife..ha ha
MM Stan thanks for sharing...

Alohas Skottoman, man the koa is still beautiful. The back appears to have some nice curl to it. Congrats on finding one in great condition and looking forward to a vid to hear how it plays!

Great looking ukulele! Congrats, and happy birthday in advance. I bought a Kamaka from Sam a few weeks ago, and although he's extremely busy and sometimes hard to find, he's definitely dedicated to getting the best ukes he can find to people.

I love your "ukes against the sky" photos! That is one sharp looking G-string...enjoy it! (And happy birthday...a little early)

Looks like that uke has some curl in the koa. I'm no expert

Looks like that uke has some curl in the koa. I'm no expert

Yeah, there is a little bit of curl in the wood. You can see it. Just not a lot. I'm very happy with it, and can't wait to go home from work and play it!

Anyone on the serial numbers? 59 059?

Cheers,
Skottoman

Favorite concert I've played to date is a custom G string concert. I say with a straight face that I love Juha's G String.

I remember Derek saying they stopped using initials once people only wanted ukes built by a certain builder(s). He also told be how to decipher the date code...I'll look it up.

Top Bottom