PDA

View Full Version : Appearently, they're called "grits"

UKISOCIETY
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I've never seen this guy before but he got a new uke! I hope all the grits are even. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bOCZ-CLyk

ConspiracyUkeist
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I love his enthusiasm. Grits, lol. I first encountered grits in the Army, that stuff's good! As good as poi? Noooooo, but pretty good. I love the haunting out-of-tune tuning on that uke. It's really a nice lookin' uke there. And a C7 is an F...... for fun!

He'll be OK :-)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
He mentions getting his keyboard. I wonder what that really is? Probably a board with hooks in it that holds keys!

But really, if you were this guys friend, could you believe anything his says? "I know these are called grits". Such conviction. LOL. Simply priceless!!!!!! Best video I've seen this year.

UKISOCIETY
05-03-2011, 08:35 AM
He mentions getting his keyboard. I wonder what that really is? Probably a board with hooks in it that holds keys!

But really, if you were this guys friend, could you believe anything his says? "I know these are called grits". Such conviction. LOL. Simply priceless!!!!!! Best video I've seen this year.

With his enthusiasm, he'll be playing in no time. I left him a comment about UU. Hope he joins and never sees this thread. ;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I was thinking, the way he had that tuned that could very well have been an F !

hoosierhiver
05-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Nice! Could be a cool brand name.

zac987
05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I like the enthusiasm....xD

mm stan
05-03-2011, 10:30 AM
What a cool video..there's one happy new uker...sounds like he's hooked good....

bbycrts
05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
It's great to see him so excited! I'm going to leave him a YT comment to come check out UU as well! He'll have us ALL saying grits in no time!

joeybug
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I have that Luna too!!! I loved his enthusiasm, great to see in a new player! Loved the "this is an F something" with C7 :D

Plainsong
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
It's kinda close though isn't it. C7 is important to the life of F. :)

I hope we don't scare him off the comments and he joins us here. One of us. One of us.

wolfybau
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
lol why not call them grits? I like it, that my new slang for frets. I was once surprised to find that quarter notes realy WERE called crotchets! lol

thats a sharp looking uke he's got there , i hope he goes far :)

fitncrafty
05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
On some ukes they ARE 'grits' at least they feel like them... I hope he goes far too, love that luna!

SuzukHammer
05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
They could have been called grits if he bought that uke from Guitar Center.

Maybe one of the salesguys was messing with him. haha.

let's set that kid straight.

scottie
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
GRITS ! !

woo hoo !

Teek
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Nah! Grits be mah homeboyz, dawgs.

http://youtu.be/an288I3LcXo

Tokyo Drift, mmmm, all the carzzzzzz.

mr moonlight
05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
What? @#$@Q$Q%?!!! they're not called GRITS?

G string second grit. I like it.

That vid rules!

Canoe Lady
05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Chuckled through the whole thing. I'm from the North....no grits up here.
I hope he comes aboard and entertains us more often. Oh, Youth.

ichadwick
05-04-2011, 01:38 AM
...I hope all the grits are even....
Funny. Grits is also the nickname for the Liberal Party, and coming on the heels of our Canadian federal election, I opened this post expecting a comment on ukulele-playing Liberals (versus, I susppose, the guitar-playing Tories...).

ukeshale
05-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Nice to see that much enthusiasm for the uke. Hopefully he finds his way here.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
. Hopefully he finds his way here.

I hope so too. If he does, he already has a user name!

garywj
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
In the deep south they may be grits. When I'm in that part of the country I like to order breakfast with "frets" with my eggs. With butter, they are tasty! Sounds like that young man may make a good musician.

dkcrown
05-04-2011, 08:34 AM
I hope so too. If he does, he already has a user name!

Perfect Chuck

cjensen91910
05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
G.R.I.T.S is Girls Raised In The South. Anybody down here knows that!

austinlee
05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
First string, first grit makes an F. Got it.

geetee
05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
On a guitar that would be an F. Hey, he just got his first ukulele.
He's got over 3,800 subs on his channel and this is his first uke post.
He's a student at Evergreen College, which probably means he's a genius.
He's already faved a tutorial by Uncle Mike.
Be afraid.

hoosierhiver
05-05-2011, 04:44 AM
On a guitar that would be an F. Hey, he just got his first ukulele.
He's got over 3,800 subs on his channel and this is his first uke post.
He's a student at Evergreen College, which probably means he's a genius.
He's already faved a tutorial by Uncle Mike.
Be afraid.

The Nitty Gritty Itty Bitty Uke band coming soon?

Mim
05-05-2011, 05:59 AM
PLEASE send him a link to Aldrine's "How to tune your ukulele" Uke Minutes! ;)

And send him to UkuleleUnderground.com/forums because he needs to join and become an active member because #1 He is enthusiastic and #2 He is a trip! I like him lots!

The problem is something like this can lead the community in referring to them as grits instead of frets because it is so frickin' hilarious!

OldePhart
05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
The problem is something like this can lead the community in referring to them as grits instead of frets because it is so frickin' hilarious!

You mean...they're not called grits...oh my! LOL

I chipped a tooth eating frets, though...

John

Plainsong
05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I never really liked frets, but dad loves them with butter and bacon. Bacon n frets. :)

mm stan
05-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I never really liked frets, but dad loves them with butter and bacon. Bacon n frets. :)
Now you're talking..ha ha even bacon fat and grits...yummy for the tummy...not too healthy tho...

scottie
05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
maHOGANY grits ! !

olgoat52
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
G.R.I.T.S is Girls Raised In The South. Anybody down here knows that!

Then GRITS be fun! ;)

ConspiracyUkeist
05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm just always going to call them grits from here on out and if anyone says they're called frets, I'll look at them kinda funny and say, "Well, that's the *old* name..."

mr moonlight
05-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm just always going to call them grits from here on out and if anyone says they're called frets, I'll look at them kinda funny and say, "Well, that's the *old* name..."

...Frets????? Never heard of them.

MrRepzion
05-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Lol, I called them grits because I am highly dyslexic. Simply put, I get things backwards all the time in my spelling and speech. Heck, I couldn't properly spell my name right until I was about 12. I would get my D's and B's backwards when I would spell my name, "Daniel". (: I am saving up for a DGX 640 keyboard as I have played the piano since age 6. I have been wanting to import my music I create onto my computer and start producing piano/ukulele mixes. All I have to say is between the 4 notes I have learned on my ukulele I already have blisters, ha. Fingers are not used to it yet.

With his enthusiasm, he'll be playing in no time. I left him a comment about UU. Hope he joins and never sees this thread. ;)

To late! LoL!

I was thinking, the way he had that tuned that could very well have been an F !

I actually have it completely tuned now (:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry, you have redefined frets and forever they will be known as "grits" to me and many others. Be proud my man! It's a defining moment.
Please don't take any offense of the fun we've had with this. We're a fun group and feel free to poke us back.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is glad you've joined us. Welcome! We need more of your kind of energy here!

fitncrafty
05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
I am with others... We are happy to have you here along with your enthusiasm towards the uke, music and life!
I have a luna too which I love.. and forever will I grit my chords while I strum!!

MrRepzion
05-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Sorry, you have redefined frets and forever they will be known as "grits" to me and many others. Be proud my man! It's a defining moment.
Please don't take any offense of the fun we've had with this. We're a fun group and feel free to poke us back.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is glad you've joined us. Welcome! We need more of your kind of energy here!

No worries. I have a sister and brother who tease the poo out of me, so yeah, I'm used to it ;)

ConspiracyUkeist
05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Grits sounds COOLER.

I remember when I was 8 or 9 spelling really BADLY. And, I only learned to tie my shoes from another kid, my Mom had me in loafers for a while there.

Sunny_0ne
05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
MrRepZion, two of my sisters and two of my children are dyslexic. Doesn't stop them from doing anything they want to do.

I am thrilled that you are here. I am a newbie and am picking out Mary Had a Little Lamb on my new uke today. And "grits" makes me smile and that's what I call my frets now.

Welcome to UU!!!

MrRepzion
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
MrRepZion, two of my sisters and two of my children are dyslexic. Doesn't stop them from doing anything they want to do.

I am thrilled that you are here. I am a newbie and am picking out Mary Had a Little Lamb on my new uke today. And "grits" makes me smile and that's what I call my frets now.

Welcome to UU!!!

Just means I have to work a little harder to understand and process things :) What can I say, guess I started something new with the "grits" lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

OldePhart
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the group. I think you'll have fun here, we do! I have a couple of friends who are lysdexic :) and I think my wife is though we are so old they weren't very good about diagnosing that stuff when she was a kid, so she's never been diagnosed. Still, everybody who sees her spelling or knows her well enough to have heard her talk a lot pretty much agrees.

John

ksiegel
05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Just Remember:

Dyslexics Have More Fnu!

-Kurt

I know, I should grit my teeth when I say that, but I won't fret about it.

Maiyah888
05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Shrimp and grits! Yum!

scottie
05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Grits sounds COOLER.

I remember when I was 8 or 9 spelling really BADLY. And, I only learned to tie my shoes from another kid, my Mom had me in loafers for a while there.

I trip over my shoelaces when I'm wearing loafers.

Teek
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
The Nitty Gritty Itty Bitty Uke band coming soon?

I laughed so hard I snorted really loud and scared my poodle out from under my desk... it wasn't pretty.:biglaugh:

ConspiracyUkeist
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
To give an example, I was functionally blind until the age of 5 or so, they operated on my eyes 2X, and even now, I only have one good (correctible) one.

I know, intellectually, what depth perception is, but I'm sure I'd get seasick if I suddenly got it.

It doesn't stop me from riding (and crashing!!) motorcycles, flying a plane, and I manage to just squeak by the driver's license eye test .... so far.... I also know how to surf, sail, bodysurf etc. and get this - have been successfully convicted of winning a national marksmanship championship a couple 'a' times.

And they're grits to me!

Teek
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
maHOGANY grits ! !

Don't you mean Harmony Grits?

Teek
05-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I actually have it completely tuned now (:

Dang, I've been doing smilies all wrong too, I like this a LOT better ! (:

And you found UU without help, you ARE a genius. Welcome home, we have missed you!!! :cool:

PS: I adored your video, wish I still had a fraction of your enthusiasm and super upbeat attitude, and like others previously, predict you will be uking a lot of us other beginners right under the table shortly.

MrRepzion
05-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Dang, I've been doing smilies all wrong too, I like this a LOT better ! (:

And you found UU without help, you ARE a genius. Welcome home, we have missed you!!! :cool:

PS: I adored your video, wish I still had a fraction of your enthusiasm and super upbeat attitude, and like others previously, predict you will be uking a lot of us other beginners right under the table shortly.

I found underground UU through my youtube statistics actually. When I checked my Google YouTube statistics it took me to this exact forum posting. It tracks the traffic I get from my videos, which lead me here! Been practicing daily, fingers are redder then a dead red hen.

dkcrown
05-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here.

geetee
05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
I found underground UU through my youtube statistics actually. When I checked my Google YouTube statistics it took me to this exact forum posting. It tracks the traffic I get from my videos, which lead me here! Been practicing daily, fingers are redder then a dead red hen.:bowdown:

Welcome Rep! I knew you'd find us.

Mim
05-07-2011, 02:43 AM
I AM SO GLAD YOU MADE IT!!!

I subbed you channel! Looking forward to some uke vids on there... no pressure!

Usually you have to be a member on this thread for a long time before people start using your mess-ups in everyday board lingo! You should feel honored! I have a couple that follow me around because I am a bad speller/typer/and my phone's autocorrect consistently changed a word multiple-times before I noticed it. But I had to have over 2K posts for that to start happening... haha!

Did I mention I am glad you found us?! Probably, but I will say it again! WELCOME!

sukie
05-07-2011, 02:54 AM
We are spool excited you are here. Welcome.

*** spool = a "Mim-ism".

roxhum
05-07-2011, 02:58 AM
MrRepZion Welcome to UU. I just read the more recent post from this thread. I hadn't looked at it since the first day it was posted and I didn't realize you were here. A huge welcome. I LOVE that you have such a great attitude and sense of humor. I look forward to more videos and post from you.

bbqribs
05-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Welcome MrRepzion. It is addictive, isn't it?

PhilUSAFRet
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
What I want to know is, are we supposed to put butter on these grits? Cheese?

Sunny_0ne
05-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Butter and pepper, of course! Maybe with an over easy egg. :)

wolfybau
05-07-2011, 07:04 AM
I laughed so hard I snorted really loud and scared my poodle out from under my desk... it wasn't pretty.:biglaugh:

yeah I did too and I don't even own a poodle!

im all dyslexic too, get letters backwards words in sentences all out of order etc. etc.

ukulefty
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I know, I should grit my teeth when I say that, but I won't fret about it.

^^^ this made me lol.... :biglaugh:

OldePhart
05-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Is it just me, or does anybody else find the funniest thing about this thread to be the fact that Alan misspelled "apparently" in the thread title?... :biglaugh:

Sunny_0ne
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Is it just me, or does anybody else find the funniest thing about this thread to be the fact that Alan misspelled "apparently" in the thread title?...

That was the first thing I noticed, and yes, it tickled me immensely! :D

MrRepzion
05-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Is it just me, or does anybody else find the funniest thing about this thread to be the fact that Alan misspelled "apparently" in the thread title?... :biglaugh:

Lol. Good catch! I didn't even notice.

geetee
05-07-2011, 03:08 PM

And doens't in his reason for edit. yLSDexia?

Hey, Rep. Thought you might find this thread amusing http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45550-Post-for-the-Grammer-Police...

MrRepzion
05-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Here is something I have been practicing, it isn't the whole song, but it is a start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHXSm_PK5c

philpot
05-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Here is something I have been practicing, it isn't the whole song, but it is a start.

Very nice dude! You're making good progress :D

UKISOCIETY
05-11-2011, 03:13 PM

I tried to edit it right after posting the initial post, but it didn't change. What am I doing wrong? Which grit should I press?

Teek
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I saw it right away, Alan is a funny guy. :)

Mr Rep, lurve your vids, AWESOME song, made my weekend and it's not even FRIDAY yet, and you are going to be awesome on that uke. :shaka:

Bb is pretty easy with a little practice, should take you about 5 minutes as you are a dang PRODIGY! I think it took me a year to get a decent Bb, how are you on the E chord? It is the one that seemingly reduces people to puddles of anguish.

Hippie Dribble
05-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I joined in late but...oh well...

WELCOME Mr Rep!!!!...what a fantastic thread this is and it's been so much fun and heartwarming to read. looks like you're already part of the scene mate...why not put on your slippers and smoking jacket and kick back by the fireplace. Such a brilliant site and so many awesome people. Glad you made it too. I'll just nic out to the kitchen and fry us up some grits...

LOVED that last video you did. Don't be so hard on yourself man, your voice is excellent. Actually your whole youtube channel is full of personality and extremely entertaining. see ya on the boards... :)

joeybug
05-12-2011, 04:45 AM
You're doing great! Welcome to the UU, and I've been playing about 8 months and *still* struggle with Bb, so you're doing better than me!

fitncrafty
05-12-2011, 04:59 AM

Great job.. took me months and months to get the darn Bb, lets not talk about E.. (ha ha teek, you are right I am in puddles) Looking forward to hearing the rest of the verses to that song! Very fun and entertaining!

Mim
05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Great progress for 1 week! Awesome stuff!

beeejums
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I do so much more uke correspondence over Facebook these days. I found myself looking for the "like" button. Oops.

scottie
05-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Don't you mean Harmony Grits?

Would that be three or four part hominy?

Plainsong
05-15-2011, 11:29 AM
You are my ukulele hero! Totally subscribed!

Don't worry, when you look back years later and see how much you've improved, you'll still be able to relish missing the Bb chord. :)