Fret Level: What size?

deezukes

Reaction score
Eh, what length leveler should one get for a uke, Tenor scale? Soprano scale? As it turns out, from my Stew Mac builds, the problem I been getting with action height has been my frets leveling process. I was using a sharpening stone which was 6 inches in length and it probably didn't level it correctly as it followed the waves.

Is it best to get a level beam that covers all frets at the same time or is there a trick to using a shorter piece to level frets? I was thinking 14 inches should be enough for both Tenors and Sopranos?

Thanks MB. Just trying to understand how to get the best action set on my builds, is the relief set at the 7/8 frets? And is it neccesary to do a falloff after the 12th fret like on guitars?

For ukes I use a 6" diamond stone along with a "fret rocker" and straight edge for checking and dressing. Though using an abour press to install frets I usually have almost nothing to level out.

Thanks MB. Just trying to understand how to get the best action set on my builds, is the relief set at the 7/8 frets? And is it neccesary to do a falloff after the 12th fret like on guitars?

The relief is so minimal (about the thickness of a dollar bill) I can't tell you exactly where it is, but somewhere in the middle of the fb. Sometimes I can't even tell if it's there. Most ukes will develop a bit of relief on their own after a while due to the string tension. But because I install a CF rod into my necks I don't expect them to change much after they are built. By doing so initially I can control the amount of relief knowing that it should never change.

Last edited:
18"?? geez.....the fingerboard on a soprano is only about 7" long. I don't think extra length will help make anything flatter
Maybe your fingerboard isn't flat before you start fretting? I make sure my fingerboard is flat flat flat before fretting.
I don't even really level the frets afterward....just set up the action right and file any frets that cause buzzing.

Top Bottom