Something new for a change

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
Well, a lot of new things actually. This one is milo and spruce. Milo is rarer and probably higher valued than koa is. It has excellent tonal properties. The combination of the two woods make the uke a real powerhouse. The gecko sound holes have a carbon fiber backing and the dual side sound ports are very effective. I installed a MiSi pickup in it because I was worried the acoustics might be poor. I could've saved myself the trouble. This is an uke I built to sell on spec but I think I'll be keeping this one for a while.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• gecko2.jpg
    gecko2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 176
  • gecko3.jpg
    gecko3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 176
  • gecko1.jpg
    gecko1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 187
Another beauty! If you decided to let it go... ;)

WOW! Another real beauty... And it looks like you've switched to Worth clears instead of Aquila's? Or what strings are they? Would love to hear a sound sample.

First off, it's GORGEOUS, of course!

Secondly, Kim, that would be perfect for you. A remembrance of the islands!

WOW! Another real beauty... And it looks like you've switched to Worth clears instead of Aquila's? Or what strings are they? Would love to hear a sound sample.

Every uke is different and since this one is so different I decided to try the Worth CH on them which I like better than the T2s. I had a feeling the spruce would be too bright so I thought the Worths would be a better choice than the Aquilas. If I were going to keep this uke for myself I would try other strings. You need to try different strings anyway as the uke develops and matures. The Worths seem like a safe string to start with. I like them, but only in the Clear Hard. I haven't yet tried the Extra Hards.

Very nice Chuck. I would love to hear it

Yeah, wish I could do something about that. The two things you need to post a good demo video are a competent player and someone who knows how do make a video. Neither of which I'm qualified for. I need to hire someone to do just that.
My wife and I attempted to make a video of something last Christmas. I spent two days on the computer trying to sort it out, trying to understand file formats, compressing, downloading other programs....... sheesh, I gave up finally. And NO thank you, I don't care to learn how at this point. There are just some things I can't do......

Chuck -

You do realize you are an amazing artist, don't you?

Stunning.

I love geckos.

OK I'll take it . . . . actually I like one NSB . . .

Last edited:
It's beautiful! Nice detail in the gecko sound holes. How are you cutting the carbon fiber backing?

It's beautiful! Nice detail in the gecko sound holes. How are you cutting the carbon fiber backing?

The carbon fiber is epoxied to the back of the sound board. I glued (watered down Titebond) the gecko pattern right on to the wood after sealing it a bit. I then used my inlay router with a carbide downcut spiral bit to rout the sound holes out. The carbon fiber sheet itself is simply cut with metal shears.

Yeah, wish I could do something about that. The two things you need to post a good demo video are a competent player and someone who knows how do make a video. Neither of which I'm qualified for. I need to hire someone to do just that.
My wife and I attempted to make a video of something last Christmas. I spent two days on the computer trying to sort it out, trying to understand file formats, compressing, downloading other programs....... sheesh, I gave up finally. And NO thank you, I don't care to learn how at this point. There are just some things I can't do......

Chuck, if you have an iPhone or can swing a new iPod Touch (an 8G is, like, $230), the built in videocamera has an automatic upload to YouTube. Just shoot the vid, get somewhere with WiFi, click upload, fill in the login stuff and video details (if you want) and you're done.
You won't win an Oscar for cinematography, but it's more than enough for us skags!

Of course you know, once the secret of Milo gets out, you and I are going to charge what the wood is really worth . . .
Good thing I already have TWO milo ukuleles.

Chuck, you are making my decision process much more difficult. How am I supposed to narrow down my desires and focus when you keep innovating?
I am so looking forward to being a Moore Bettah owner in addition to a Moore Bettah admirer.

I think you should hire me as your cameraman/sound tech in exchange for that uke :p

I'll try and get some UK builders together so we can and buy it..And make sure it never sees the light of day ever again.
:mad:
Yours truely Jealous builder:D

Here's the deal. Send it to me. I'll spend the time, no matter how long, to get good at the video thing and the playing thing, no charge to you. Then when I'm good enough I'll make your vid and send it back to you. Can't say better than that.

Top Bottom