Low G question ...

MiaRosie

Reaction score
Today I bought a low G string to put on the little mahalo I bought as a first ukulele - purely because I keep hearing people discuss or mention ukes strung like this.

I haven't put it on yet ( it's a concert string as that was all they had lol - is it only the length that is different or also the density? ) but before I do, will this mean I will 'only' be able to play music specifically written for ukes with a low G string ?

Many times soprano and concert strings are the same... like on Martin fluoro-carbon strings. Some companies make concert strings a little heavier diameter than soprano (and a little longer). Tenor strings are much heavier and longer (and they often include a wound "C" string for standard tuning). If you want a more specific answer, then knowing which brand of string you bought would be helpful.

Just grabbed it, it's an aquilla corde armoniche - concert. Oooh just took it out of the package, feels totally different from the 'normal' ones.

For strumming there is really no difference between a low-g and reentrant uke, for the most part. The chords are all formed the same, it's just that they are different "inversions" of the chords so they sound a little different. For picking, having the low G gives you some lower notes that you don't ordinarily have.

John

will this mean I will 'only' be able to play music specifically written for ukes with a low G string ?

The only things you wouldn't be able to play are songs where you're playing a melody line, and it jumps from the A or E string to the G (or vice versa). Now that jump in notes will be an octave jump, and will sound funny. How often does that happen? I have four hours of music memorized on uke, and there's not one song where this happens. Though I don't play a traditional uke repertoire, I doubt it would make much difference in this regard.

My experience is just the opposite of what you're worried about. There are a bunch of songs I play with a low G that don't sound right with re-entrant tuning, because I need those extra notes at the bottom end. Everything I play in re-entrant tuning sounds fine with a low G.

Always nice to get several ukes and with different set ups and learn and play them both ways....so much fun...

Generally things will translate back and forth, but sometimes it'll sound weird or suboptimal when you take something from re-entrant to low-G. For example, I worked up an arrangement of the piano part from "Imagine" that relied on the open C being the lowest note... It's still recognizable in low-G but it doesn't sound right.

The benefit is a fuller sound, if a bit more subdued and less ukey, and the ability to arrange chords in specific inversions without going way up into the plinky notes. After playing low-G for a couple months, I've gotten just as attached to it as I was to re-entrant on the same uke. I guess the only solution is to own more ukes!

Top Bottom