PDA

View Full Version : Ukuleles in Movies

tozan
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Adam Sandlers's "50 First Dates".
Just watched it on dvd.
On the cover they show a 4 string ukulele but in the movie he plays a 6 string.
I think you have to go the special features to actually see that it is a Kamaka.
How's that for "ukulele obsessed".
Any other sightings or soundings from Hollywood?

Kaneohe til the end
07-30-2008, 11:26 PM
in the movie the day lucy lost her memory is my birthday, october 13th.the guy on the jet ski in the beginning is my dad's friend, adam sandler wore a matsumoto's shave ice shirt, and the scene with the dock was shot less than a mile from my house. the scenes w/ the boat were shot in practically my backyard; kaneohe bay, adam sandler worked at sea life park, a real "oceanarium" here. i loved this movie because (to me) it most accurately portrayed hawaii for what it is as i have come to know it.

Ame
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
In "Shallow Hal", Leeboy? idk his name, but the big guy plays a uke in one of the scenes when Hal goes looking for Rosemary.

Oh and Lilo and Stitch haha yay animated ukes. xP

upskydowncloud
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Adam Sandlers's "50 First Dates".
Just watched it on dvd.
On the cover they show a 4 string ukulele but in the movie he plays a 6 string.
I think you have to go the special features to actually see that it is a Kamaka.
How's that for "ukulele obsessed".
Any other sightings or soundings from Hollywood?

You're dead right. He's playing a custom 6 six string Kamaka uke. The uke on the front cover is the same 6 string but they edited it to look like a 4 string for some reason. Maybe because people wouldn't have a clue about what a 6 string ukulele was.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
In "Shallow Hal", Leeboy? idk his name, but the big guy plays a uke in one of the scenes when Hal goes looking for Rosemary.

hahaha lilo and stitch are cool :D
when ever i watch i see an ukulele here and there :nana:

NotoriousMOK
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM

hmm... animaniukes?

NotoriousMOK
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned "The Jerk" with Steve Martin on uke and Bernadette Peters on brass playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" -- this was one of the first songs I learned.

have fun!

h-drix
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
in the movie "a league of their own" one of the ball players is playing a soprano. I dont think the word "ukulele" is spoken.

SailQwest
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Joe vs The Volcano—Tom Hanks plays/sings The Cowboy Song while he and Meg Ryan are adrift.

jjsdad
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
What? No one mentioned Steve Martin playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" in the movie "The Jerk"? One of my all-time favorites. :D

(Yea, I think Lyle Ritz actually played it...)

SuperSecretBETA
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
What? No one mentioned Steve Martin playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" in the movie "The Jerk"? One of my all-time favorites. :D

(Yea, I think Lyle Ritz actually played it...)

Actually... someone did. :p

I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned "The Jerk" with Steve Martin on uke and Bernadette Peters on brass playing "Tonight You Belong To Me" -- this was one of the first songs I learned.

have fun!

NotoriousMOK
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
thats pretty funny, both brought it up, both astonished it had not been done yet :p

tori8984
07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
There was a movie a quite a few years ago about Ma Barker, and her gang. I think Theressa Russell was in it. There was a scene where one of the boys had a ukulele, but never did play it.

Kateri
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Marilyn Monroe playing ukulele in the classic movie Some Like it Hot!

Rubbertoe
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
it's not a movie but spongebob squarepants plays one in the Camping episode and sings his original "Campfire Song Song"! One of the greatest episodes ever!

polynesianpop
08-01-2008, 04:35 AM
it's not a movie but spongebob squarepants plays one in the Camping episode and sings his original "Campfire Song Song"! One of the greatest episodes ever!

Ha! I thought the same thing as I read it -- It IS one of their greatest episodes!!

UKISOCIETY
08-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Ha! I thought the same thing as I read it -- It IS one of their greatest episodes!!

What' s the name of that episode? I may have it!

Rubbertoe
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
What' s the name of that episode? I may have it!

It's called: The Camping Episode and it's from season 3.

Plainsong
08-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Last episode of Life on Mars, we see things concluding for Sam to the tune of Iz's Over the Rainbow. The choice of that song may be a giveaway as to what happens.

Also there was a preview for some movie on tv that played a cover of that. Some lesser uke player on a lesser uke. Actually the quality of the uke sounds ok, the effects on it over done. Yes, effects. On this song of all songs. I love using effects, but that just ... ugh. And the strumming technique isn't so good but at least the guy's voice sounds crap.

I'm glad the preview wasn't long.

tori8984
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
"Meatballs" had a scene with ukulele

tozan
08-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Almost forgot the "Into The Wild" sound track by Eddie Vedder.

freedive135
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
In the first "Gidget" movie (yes I was watching it) there are a couple of times a ukulele is being strummed, (badly).

FHS-72
08-04-2008, 08:53 AM
wasn't there a seen in Wild Hogs at the campfire where Dudley was fiddling around with a Martin concert or soprano?

Plainsong
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Ever seen the Wild Hogs publicity thing on Oprah? William H. Macy got out a Flea and sang about what a crap movie it was. Got away with it because it was a uke. :) It's on Youtube I think.

fherieb
08-04-2008, 04:27 PM

more animated ukes in the cartoon movie Surf's Up. it was a coconut uke.

Ame
08-04-2008, 05:19 PM

is that the "F-U-N song"?

F is for frolicing through all the flowers
U is for UKULELE. :)
N is for nose pickin, sharin gum and sand lickin
Down here with my best buddy!

haha fun. :D

Plainsong
08-05-2008, 03:22 AM
There was this movie on a local movie channel last night called Charm School. It opened with Rainbow. That movie was one of those slightly weird ones that you think is gonna be bad, but was just a really nice little story and every actor you ever liked combined in one movie.

Lanark
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/1805078369_da4f7a6f05.jpg

Kateri
08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
is that the "F-U-N song"?

F is for frolicing through all the flowers
U is for UKULELE. :)
N is for nose pickin, sharin gum and sand lickin
Down here with my best buddy!

haha fun. :D

F is for fire that burns down the whole town
U is for uranium!
N is for no survivors...

lol I like planktons version too. :D

robert1325
08-07-2008, 06:09 AM
--_SPOILER_--

Has anyone seen 'punch-drunk love' ?

When Adam Sandler --_SPOILER_-- goes to the store to see Seymour Hoffman's character in his shop , you'll see a ukulele in the office on a cabinet in the background.

Nurdaben
11-09-2008, 08:26 AM
i love lucy episode "little ricky gets stage fright" (was just one)

little ricky wouldnt go on stage unless he had a ukulele player =)
(so of course lucy plays it)

nikolo727
11-09-2008, 05:13 PM

ah shallow hal, the reason I started playin ukulele. lol

Link
11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
How about Forgetting Sarah Marshall? There's a performance scene with a Uke, it's not really featured but it's there. And it's a good movie.

upskydowncloud
11-13-2008, 11:30 AM
A ukulele appears in Boston Legal if anyone watches that.

froggy
12-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Ray, Since You Went Away, Please Don't Eat the Daises

NatalieS
12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Was watching TV the other night, the 1937 black and white movie "Stage Door" featured a uke for a short scene, played by Ginger Rogers. Some of my favorite uke momoents are from the 1930s so that was a nice surprise.

And ukulele is mentioned in an episode of "The Office" (I can't remember which one...). Dwight is playing guitar and Jim asks something like, "Where did Dwight learn how to play guitar?" and Pam laughs and says, "I think he thought his ukulele skills could cross over."

I love The Office but they were clearly making fun of uke playing... :(

Dr.Flaps
12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Owen Wilsons character in "You me and Dupree" plays an ukulele at the annoyance of his best friends wife. It seems that a dude's ukulele strumming is always cut short by the "insignificant other"!!

"Just let the vibrato of an ukulele melt the menstruation away"

tozan
12-19-2008, 10:50 PM
There were two scenes in the movie where I saw ukuleles.
Unfortunately neither of the stars played them.
The first was when the Chinese cook, Singsong, is playing around the camp fire.
The second scene has two ukulele players in a band at a ball.
I wonder if they could have been heard unamplified in real life?
There is also some ukulele music in the sound track that comes up throughout the movie.

hoosierhiver
12-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Macy has a ukulele in "Wild Hogs",but doesn't play a tune.

therimidalv
12-26-2008, 06:22 PM
How about Forgetting Sarah Marshall? There's a performance scene with a Uke, it's not really featured but it's there. And it's a good movie.

Very true! but if you also noticed EVERY scene when they were in the hotel lobby bruddah IZ is playing in the background!

fatfingers75
01-01-2009, 07:01 AM
i think there is one on the cover of the 50 first dates. adam sandler holds it in his hands

MisoHappy
01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
There's one in the Lion King haha. When Timon was trying to create a diversion or something....

NatalieS
01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
I went to Orlando this past week and Universal Studios has a uke that Lucille Ball played! She used it in an episode of "I Love Lucy" to play "Five Foot Two". I thought it was really neat-- it's an old Harmony soprano.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Orlando/IMG_2188.jpg

russ_buss
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I went to Orlando this past week and Universal Studios has a uke that Lucille Ball played! She used it in an episode of "I Love Lucy" to play "Five Foot Two". I thought it was really neat-- it's an old Harmony soprano.

nice find Natalie! thanks for sharing.:D

Bigg
01-28-2009, 01:38 AM
in the movie the day lucy lost her memory is my birthday, october 13th.the guy on the jet ski in the beginning is my dad's friend, adam sandler wore a matsumoto's shave ice shirt, and the scene with the dock was shot less than a mile from my house. the scenes w/ the boat were shot in practically my backyard; kaneohe bay, adam sandler worked at sea life park, a real "oceanarium" here. i loved this movie because (to me) it most accurately portrayed hawaii for what it is as i have come to know it.

<jacked the hijacker>
My buddy Matt was living in HI when the movie was taped and was out surfing one day when all of a sudden Adam Sandler paddles out next to him and starts talking. He got some pics with Sandler to prove it. I don't think I would have believed him otherwise. Hehe.
</jacked

AcousticMonster
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.classicphotos.com/celebs/lh/lh-1.jpg

Not sure if this one is from a movie or from their vaudeville days.

tozan
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice find!

Mikasai
01-29-2009, 07:04 AM

His name is Li'i Boy Shintani. He's from Niihau and lives close to me. Used to talk story with him all the time, but neva see him long time.

HoldinCoffee
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Here's the GREAT ONE with his spruce-top (sopranino?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOmrBuAcMc

Check out the rest of the video for un-ukulele related goodness. My Guitar Gently Weeps (on guitar) by a LEGENDARY 1970s guitarist, and a rare finale introduced by Ed Sullivan!

HoldinCoffee
02-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Its been said that the Smoke On The Water for ukulele is Seven Nation Army. Even Jack's doin it. (0:13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1LzDSE9e4

beeejums
02-19-2009, 03:20 AM
In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" when Eddie Valiant is going through the old pictures of him and his brother on vacation, they are both playing ukuleles.

... it was on cable the other day.

Nuke-ulele
02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Its been said that the Smoke On The Water for ukulele is Seven Nation Army. Even Jack's doin it. (0:13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1LzDSE9e4

Maybe you were joking, but that IS a mandolin not a ukulele.

HoldinCoffee
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
"Hey Jack, why does your mando look like an 8-string uke!??"

khrome
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
In Dirty Dancing - at the end a little girl is playing a uke while Baby's sister is screeching on stage.

Lanark
02-20-2009, 05:18 AM
In the Pixies reunion documentary there's a few shots of them on the tour bus with Frank Black and his ukulele.

There's a little bit of him playing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsz-f5IYuUQ&feature=related) at around the 1:55 mark for the soundtrack that Joey Santiago's working on.

and in the True History of the Traveling Wilbury's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lycnAnzUfsI)at one point Tom Petty talks about them sitting around all night having fun & playing ukes. (I didn't hunt it down, but you can watch it all for yourself if you want. It's interesting-ish)

Luna
03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
It's not a movie, but on "Scrubs" they had ukes a couple times. At the end of the episode "My Way Home," one of the Worthless Peons is playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And in a couple recent episodes, Ted got a uke-playing girlfriend who did a couple songs.

iamjamesmiles
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
i havent seen any ukuleles in movies but i've seen one in johnny bravo

Ukulele JJ
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
There are several sightings of a "Sheriff Woody" ukulele in Toy Story 2.

In the movie version of "Guys and Dolls", there's a music store on the set with a bunch of multi-colored ukes hanging in the window. It's seen throughout the film.

JJ

Woodshed
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Old skool: Clara Bow in IT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvmzET12lA0)

New skool: Stingwray Sam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_pFDEiMXo) - can't wait to see that. American Astronaut is frickin' fantastic.

tuscadero
04-13-2009, 02:42 AM
I watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" the other night with my son. At the end there is a montage of scenes from Dewey's life as he sings at the lifetime achievement awards. One shot is Dewey playing his guitar and his father—who has been cut in half with a macheté—playing ukulele.

My 13 year old son, who is amused/horrified, by my ukulele, saw it at the same time and grumbled, "DON'T say it."

Teenagers are fun.

Witters
05-02-2009, 05:23 AM
The Wings Of Eagles 1957. A True Story, and a very good film.

John Wayne plays Aviator, Capt Frank Wead who eventually became a Hollywood screen writer.
While on shore leave in Hawaii he accidentally falls down stairs and breaks his neck, and told he will never walk again because his legs are permanently paralysed.

In hospital he is visited every day by his colleague, played by Dan Daily, who brings with him a Ukulele which he plays to John Wayne making songs up as he goes and making Wayne sing them as well - like “I’m gonna move that toe”, then “I’m gonna move that leg”.

This was the first time I had seen a Ukulele because this was shown on tv in the 60’s when I was a boy. I saw it again recently and its still a good movie.

khrome
05-07-2009, 07:28 AM
On House this week a uke made an appearance. I couldn't tell what kind it was tho.

snowcooley
05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Can't believe no one's mentioned "Waking Life"... not even Woodshed, who recently wrote out a great blog post including tabs for it. :P

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/03/29/guy-forsyth-waking-life-tab/

HaileISela
06-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm just watching Monty Python's Sense of Life and there's a scene in a medieval dungeon with Hawaiian food and music. They play a bass, a guitar and a Uke:music:

bengbengchicken
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Uh.. i think there was one shown in the Pixar movie UP, i recall it being located ontop of the mantle in the beginning . . . at least, i *thought it was one when i saw it. Spent the rest of the movie thinking "Wooaaahh; ukulele?! sa-weeet "

haolejohn
06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Macy has a ukulele in "Wild Hogs",but doesn't play a tune.

But he does play a tune on one of those women TV shows that you have to listen to a lady talk all day long. He performed an original he wrote for the staff.

RevWill
06-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Sandler must be a true uke enthusiast. He also plays one throughout Mixed Nuts.

Fred Miu
06-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Can't believe no one's mentioned "Waking Life"... not even Woodshed, who recently wrote out a great blog post including tabs for it. :P

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/03/29/guy-forsyth-waking-life-tab/

2 years ago when i first got my ukulele, my friend mentioned walking life. i saw that scene and i HAD to learn it, took me a year to finally play it. great little riff he plays there though :)

whetu
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Not a movie, but they've made a few appearances on The Simpsons, my favourite is the episode where Krusty meets his daughter and loses her violin to the mob, and tries to replace it with a ukulele

"it's the thinking man's violin!" :biglaugh:

Roy Jovero
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Uh.. i think there was one shown in the Pixar movie UP, i recall it being located ontop of the mantle in the beginning . . . at least, i *thought it was one when i saw it. Spent the rest of the movie thinking "Wooaaahh; ukulele?! sa-weeet "
So I'm not the only person to see the ukulele.

Captain Google
06-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Not a movie, but they've made a few appearances on The Simpsons, my favourite is the episode where Krusty meets his daughter and loses her violin to the mob, and tries to replace it with a ukulele

"it's the thinking man's violin!" :biglaugh:

So that's where that came from...:eek:

whetu
06-08-2009, 05:00 PM
So that's where that came from...:eek:

Episode 3, Season 12. "Insane Clown Poppy"

http://www.tv.com/the-simpsons/insane-clown-poppy/episode/3806/trivia.html

:)

veep
06-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Up !!!!!!!!!!!!

RevWill
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Mia Farrow's character plays one in Purple Rose of Cairo.

AgentORC
06-20-2009, 09:15 AM
not a movie but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsmupllGEs
i love this show and when i saw the uke i almost died of happiness :D

BBcakes
07-11-2009, 09:34 PM
not a movie but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsmupllGEs
i love this show and when i saw the uke i almost died of happiness :D

Aaaw, this song is cute!

Zakulele
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Reno 911:Miami at the end of the movie.
Played (poorly) by Nick Swardson's character Terry
Check it out here: language not safe for work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJjjyFdyszw

Citrus
07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
It's not a movie, but on "Scrubs" they had ukes a couple times. At the end of the episode "My Way Home," one of the Worthless Peons is playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And in a couple recent episodes, Ted got a uke-playing girlfriend who did a couple songs.
Her names kate micucci (sp?) she's in a pretty funny group called garfunkel and oates on youtube and some of her songs are on this site.
There's a movie called A Thousand Clowns which is supposed to be about an ukulele playing clown, havent seen it yet but I intend to. As far as Steve Martin playing the uke, he's actually an exceptional banjo player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

Ukulele JJ
07-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Via Netflix, I've been watching an old (1992) mini-series on Frank Sinatra (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sinatra_Disc_1/70095026).

Early on, when the guy playing Frank first meets his future (and future ex) wife, he woos her with a ukulele! In the next scene, you can see that he's brought it to the beach with him, although he doesn't play it. This part would've been set in the mid-to-late 1930s.

Not sure if Sinatra actually did play the uke, but it was still cool to see it.

JJ

ukulele2544
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I think I saw a ukulele in the movie spongebob...

DogBisquit
07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
The Muppets eat a couple of them in Sesame Street episodes:
Broken Ukulele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZ-xTCugs0&feature=PlayList&p=8770575F2C88791F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38)
The letter "U" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJUqV7Xk2w)

And then, there's Kermit on the Muppet Show:
Ukelele Lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFOvN5FEhsw&feature=PlayList&p=455FD06936EE3076&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27)

MiKeila
08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
In the movie Australia, when Mrs. Boss and the Drover dance by the campfire and that guy is playing a uke- what kind is it? Standard soprano? I couldn't tell..

kissing
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
^ I noticed that too and freaked out :D

kissing
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Haha, look what I found (in Homer's head):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGdlJWfx1GA
Now I can't get that out of my head :rock:

Hmm, and is that a Uke that Keith Richards (as Captain Teague) from Pirates of the Caribbean (At World's End) plays?! :eek:

It looks small for a guitar.. perhaps a guitarlele?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnOjGuQkNs
1:49 onwards.

Hmm.. have a look at what Lois from Family Guy is holding here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J359iFVAASY
Could be a Mandolin... but that episode made me get the Ohana Vita Uke xD

uke5417
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
"Sadie McKee," 1934. Great scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUw-MedQ4Y

kissing
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
In Meet the Fockers, towards the end there is a strange 10-string (?!) uke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yl4tG9z9E
5:37

I Ukulista
08-15-2009, 09:17 AM
The old man in Toubisards 8mm movie 'Tropical Backyard' plays Star spangled banner, just before he gets shot in the chest by the jealous husband. I think he plays it on a makala.

AnimalChiko
08-19-2009, 04:26 AM
In a House M.D. episode, a woman named Amber is playing on a ukulele.
(episode 23, Under My Skin, season 5)

Danny
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
There's a sweet little movie called "Stanley's Gig" about a misfit who dreams of getting a gig playing ukulele on a cruise ship and befriends an elderly jazz singer. I think Ian Whitcomb and maybe Jim Beloff did the uke playing on the soundtrack. It's on Netflix or you can watch an abbreviated version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswIZhjrgnA&feature=player_embedded

Uncle-Taco
09-20-2009, 06:05 AM
There's a sweet little movie called "Stanley's Gig" about a misfit who dreams of getting a gig playing ukulele on a cruise ship and befriends an elderly jazz singer. I think Ian Whitcomb and maybe Jim Beloff did the uke playing on the soundtrack. It's on Netflix or you can watch an abbreviated version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswIZhjrgnA&feature=player_embedded

Mrs. Taco bought me a copy of Stanley's Gig for my birthday. We watched it last night. WATCH THIS FLICK!! It's really cute and makes it okay to be a uke geek! :)

veep
09-24-2009, 11:07 AM
the apostle

Fuzzy
12-02-2009, 05:45 AM
On an episode of the TV show "Roseanne", Tiny Tim is teaching someone (forget who) how to play the uke. Roseanne's husband comes in, grabs the uke, and smashes it. Tiny Tim says, "That happens to me all the time", reaches behind him and pulls out another one.

SkeeterAsada
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
On an episode of the TV show "Roseanne", Tiny Tim is teaching someone (forget who) how to play the uke. Roseanne's husband comes in, grabs the uke, and smashes it. Tiny Tim says, "That happens to me all the time", reaches behind him and pulls out another one.

Tiny tim's living in the sunlight was on an episode of spongebob!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOoTfb-JqU

the old spongebobs are the best...
haha

Kateri
12-25-2009, 02:06 AM
There's an ukulele in The Princess and The Frog! JAZZ ukulele!

SkeeterAsada
12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
There's an ukulele in The Princess and The Frog! JAZZ ukulele!

aw man,
i still have to see this movie
hahaha

xEMPxJoshx
12-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Add "The Princess and the Frog"
main character (Frog) is a Ukulelist! =D

AcousticMonster
01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I just watched The Great Muppet Caper yesterday. Fozzy Bear plays ukulele in one song in the movie (when Kermit is getting ready for his big date with Ms. Piggy). I couldn't find a pic on the web though.

haolejohn
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Just watched a movie with Danny Devito in it. Deck the halls, I think it was called. Anyways they go to a winter festival and just before their race their is a ukulele orchrastra palying some northen ukuleles.

Harold O.
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25208-Cowboy-Song-Tom-Hanks-Joe-vs-Volcano

Joe Versus The Volcano

Tom Hanks plays the Cowboy Song. I posted the chords and lyric in the above thread, along with the film clip.

aspieman456
02-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Survivorman playing an 6-string ukulele while roughing it at the Cook Islands. Look for it in the last minute of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0X2atFW8A4

ukeCANjam
02-14-2010, 05:24 PM
That is too awesome!

arw
05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
From the movie Reds. It is in the last 10 seconds or so of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEptenxMZk8

arw
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Woody Allen's Purple Rose of Cairo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vOuVTrvJpM

What brand of uke is it?

Chris Tarman
06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
It's a Martin. Style O, I think, but possibly a Style 1. I couldn't see the "diagnostic feature" (a Style 1 and 2 would have double dot position marker at the 7th fret, but a Style O would just have a single dot there).

arw
06-30-2010, 01:05 AM
It's a Martin. Style O, I think, but possibly a Style 1. I couldn't see the "diagnostic feature" (a Style 1 and 2 would have double dot position marker at the 5th fret, but a Style O would just have a single dot there).

I want one.

sebi
07-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I watched an old episode of Boy Meets World and Cory played an ukulele. Well, he didn't really play it. He just plucked the strings a bit. But he mentions the uke, so it counts. The ukulele was in the show :)

cent
08-17-2010, 01:47 PM
in the movie get him to the greek (summer movie of '11) they begin a scene with aldous snow finishing a song with his father. aldous was playing a ukulele and the father a guitar. the dialogue that follows, aldous is clearly seen holding a ukulele.

Hippie Dribble
08-23-2010, 12:52 AM

I just found a copy of "Stanley's Gig" yesterday on ebay for $2.99!!! and promptly ordered it. Recommended to anyone who likes to try and write songs. HIGHLY recommended to ALL ukulele geeks!!!! (yep, that's you I'm talkin' to bro & sis'). Lovely film with a nice helping of cheese.

joeybug
09-26-2010, 03:37 AM
In the UK show, "Fireman Sam", Trevor plays a Ukulele a few times, one time he forgets the food for the camping trip, but remembers his Ukulele...that guy has his priorities right!

TicToc
09-26-2010, 06:50 AM
In Ramona and Beezus, in the Music Class scene, they have a wall full of colorful Sopranos, I think they were Mahalos.

Hippie Dribble
10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
In the happy days double episode "The Graduation" where the Fonz is taking night-school classes, Big Al plays a ukulele up front with the band at the Graduation ceremony...

looks like a tenor but near impossible to tell what brand...

Rich T
10-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.

Fuzzy
11-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Buster Keaton plays a Jazz Age college kid with a uke at the beginning of "Steamboat Bill, Jr" (1928). He doesn't play it, and it gets stomped on by his dad.
Keaton also has a uke in the film "College". He eventually falls on it and smashes it. I'm sensing a theme here...

Chris Tarman
11-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.

Chris Tarman
11-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I watched "Some Like It Hot" again last night. The ukulele Marilyn Monroe is playing is a Martin Style 3... Painted WHITE!!! Yikes!

harry.john
12-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Millions of ukuleles were sold during the decade, and Tin Pan Alley ... His film company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer hired Edwards to appear in early sound movies. ...

cletus
12-30-2010, 04:07 AM
'Mister Roberts' was on the other day... a trio of sailors were on deck singing "The Yellow Stain Blues" while one played a uke, maybe a Harmony?
I almost plotzed!:old:

Chap
12-30-2010, 05:58 AM
"The Giant Gila Monster" - 1959

The hero, Chase (Don Sullivan), plays the banjo uke and sings for a couple (frankly horrible) musical numbers. Best to watch the MST3K version, to preserve your sanity.

Harold O.
12-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Last Embrace

circa 1979. Starring Roy Scheider as an FBI man trying to come back from a nervous breakdown. Actor George Hillman plays the role of "ukulele player" and does a great job of it in a single scene, about 20 minutes in. He plucks out a great tune that I would love to play but have no idea what it is.

Fuzzy
01-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Buster Keaton apparently DID actually play though. I've seen a clip from some movie (I have no idea what it is), where he, Cliff Edwards and some other guy are in WWI uniforms. Keaton is fingering the chords on a Martin Taropatch, while Edwards drums on the strings with drumsticks and does one of his mouth-trumpet things, and the third guy is plucking a rifle like an upright bass while he sings a bass line.

I recently picked up a book about Harold LLoyd and there is a picture of an informal band that a group of actors put together, and there's Buster Keaton sitting in the front with a banjo uke on his lap.

the_ominator
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
i found out, that bugs bunny is playing the same uke as me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV24Mzx0tps

asmi18
03-13-2011, 11:09 PM
in the movie "a league of their own" one of the ball players is playing a soprano. I dont think the word "ukulele" is spoken. The ORIGINAL doc on alt uke culture! In glorious mini-DV! DVD Talk and Film Threat both give it 3 & 1/2 out of 5 stars!! With Ian Whitcomb, Janet Klein, Ukefink, Oliver Brown, Carmaig de Forest, King Kukulele and many, many others! Bookend voice narration by Holly Hunter, aka "The Human Rock-and-Roll Ukulele.""

Hippie Dribble
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
in the movie "a league of their own" one of the ball players is playing a soprano. I dont think the word "ukulele" is spoken. The ORIGINAL doc on alt uke culture! In glorious mini-DV! DVD Talk and Film Threat both give it 3 & 1/2 out of 5 stars!! With Ian Whitcomb, Janet Klein, Ukefink, Oliver Brown, Carmaig de Forest, King Kukulele and many, many others! Bookend voice narration by Holly Hunter, aka "The Human Rock-and-Roll Ukulele.""

you're talking about the film 'Rock That Uke' aren't you asmi? I have a copy too, it's fabulous. Really love Carmaig de Forest and Oliver Brown especially.

Rockabilly
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Just watched Soul Surfer... Really liked the movie..Quite a tear jerker and also had quite a few uke cameos...Saw like six or seven ukes in the movie including Koaloha concert, sceptre, and a six string Kamaka.

SuzukHammer
12-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Just saw "Get Him to the Greek" The rock star "plays" a uke with dad but more importantly just tries not to drop it. I don't know what kind of uke it is

All I know is the movie was funny. Its definitely good for a laugh.

NatalieS
01-21-2012, 02:22 AM
There's a ukulele on the fireplace mantle in Carl's house in the Pixar movie "Up".

And recently on 30 Rock, Liz Lemon's latest boyfriend plays ukulele.

BrittanyClark
03-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Nobody has said anything about the movie "Blue Valentine" starring Ryan Gosling. He plays the ukulele SEVERAL times, and he even does a part where he woos Michelle Williams by singing, "You Always Hurt the One You Love". In the beginning, you also see a melodica. I seriously jumped for joy when I saw both the uke and the melodica; I own both. How often do you see that!?!? Not only that, but it's an exceptional movie. 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.

ukuLily Mars
03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Thoroughly Modern Millie -- in the opening scene a young woman is playing a banjo ukulele right before Beatrice Lillie kidnaps her.

aspieman456
12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
This is one from a friend of my bandleader's who was cast is an Apple commercial lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eWyZUszyJHg

Sh3ldon
12-25-2012, 07:33 AM
I've noticed the uke in a few movies but the ones that come to mind are those of George Formby and of course Laurel & Hardy.

KimosTherapy
01-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Happy New Year! Here's a link to an animated movie which featured some uke playing - Hotel Transylvania starring: Adam Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg, Kevin James, Fran Drescher, Cee-Lo Green, David Spade, Steve Buscemi, Molly Shannon, & David Koechner.

UU's very own Aldrine Guerrero was chosen by Sony Pictures Studios to play the uke for the part! Right on Bruddah Aldrine!!!:shaka:

http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/movies/hoteltransylvania/clips/4940/

ukeeku
01-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Sleep walk with me has a brief ukulele appearance.

Freeda
01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
PS I love you has a uke song right when she gets the final letter from her husband.

Just audio, no visual.

Markr1
01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
This may have been mentioned in this thread previously but I received George Harrison, Living in the Material World as a Christmas gift from my daughter and it had a lot of ukuleles and ukulele playing in it.

LloydAZ
05-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Not movies, but television shows...

Someone already mentioned Tiny Tim on Roseanne, but he also made several appearances on Laugh In playing the uke.

There was also an episode of Mama's Family where Vicki Lawrence plays a Ukulele.

Mothecachen
05-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Really associate informative journal it is! There area unit heap of data of contour wrap has been given during this journal that is basically useful for the skin additionally. Thanks ?

feeblepizza
05-30-2014, 01:48 AM
Adam Sandler plays a uke in Mixed Nuts.