Kala Mango Tenor (KA-MT)

shaun126

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone owns one of these?

I played a handful of ukes at the Sam Ash, and this guy really stuck out to me.

I cant seem to find anything regarding the build, I am assuming it is all laminate? I am really surprised because it really sounded quite a bit nicer than some other models including all solid wood, and solid top models they had on display.

Any thoughts on this model?

I had one of these a while back. Body was all laminate, not sure if Kala changed this but I doubt it. It seemed like a decent uke for what it is. I preferred concerts so I sold it. Most people seem to have favorable opinions about them. I hadn't had this uke for a couple of years so I cannot really comment on the sound.

I played one and fell in love with it if that counts for anything- left it at the store because I was skint.

I am not sure about the sound of the Kalas, but I stock Lanikai Tenor Mangos, because they are solid and the Kalas are Laminate. The Lanikais seem to have a lot more spalting and a wavy look about them. Seriously georgeous ukes. But the sound is quite warm, quiet, and mellow compared to the spuces and cedars I tend to favor. The only thing that bothers me is there are people who come into my store after going to the local big box music store that sells them (dont like to name names) and tells me the Kala is a solid and I have to inform them it isnt. Aparently the salesman there does not realize, and this has happened a couple time. One guy would not believe me and it took me forever to convince him. I am like "Dude! I sell Kalas and Lanikais. I only sell ukes. I know way more uke information than I ever thought possible. I know this. I stock Lanikais because they are solid and Kala isn't." I guess I figure for the extra little bit of money, you might as well go for the all-solid instrument. But again, like most people will tell you, and I agree... it is about sound and about falling in love with the uke you purchase :)! I am a firm believer in that.

I got one of these for Christmas (lucky me) and I love it. As said above, it is laminate but I think it looks and sounds great,(but in the end of course it all comes down to what suits you, and it doesn't matter what I or anybody else says or thinks.)

Top Bottom