Ukulele Garage Rock

doomboy5

Reaction score
I don't spend nearly enough time around these boards as I should, wanted to share this new music video I did. I would love feedback!

Henrique

Love it!

-Pete

Wow, "Tom Waits" meets "Hot Chip"!!! I may have to rethink my current prejudices against Dayton Ohio. By the by, what software did you use to edit the video, it was really a choice cut.

I'm going to break our little chain here.

I honestly didn't like it. I don't know why, but it wasn't something I liked at all. However, I do like seeing other Ohio ukulele players.

I did like the music. I did like the FX. Did pick up on the Scott Pilgrim, I'm just not in lesbians with this video.

I think the mixed genres didn't quite mesh right. It was a bit too kitsch for garage, which I think should have a sort of apathetic anger, while the uke and the Hawaiian shirt were a bit too wink and a smile. On the other hand I didn't get the uke feel from the instrument.

I think if you want to do this you have to make it feel like you're forcing the cute puppy (ie uke) to bark, or go the other way and take a garage song and camp it up all the way.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain mashed genres perfectly with Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I'd like to see it again going one way or another.

Of course you could always tell me to sod off.

Last edited:
Inner Pop, you have every right to your opinion, I would not tell you to sod off. Though that may be because I'm not sure what that means ;-)

Feel free to take a look at some of my other stuff I've done, that was a single off my latest album That's Loud, which is very very loud garage rock with a ukulele fronting most of the songs. I only play ukulele, and generally don't like to make it into any sort of novelty. You can hear the whole album stream for free if you want here http://ukeordie.bandcamp.com/album/thats-loud

There wasn't really any intention of doing any camping up for it though, I just wrote a song and made a video about it, the video is a little camp, because we rock so hard we destroy earth. I appreciate the feedback.

Oh and by the way, Hawiian shirt has nothing to do with ukulele, I just plain always wear hawaiian shirts. Every day. It is a little sad when I write it out, hahaha.

Henrique

Last edited:
Wow, "Tom Waits" meets "Hot Chip"!!! I may have to rethink my current prejudices against Dayton Ohio. By the by, what software did you use to edit the video, it was really a choice cut.

So what is there to hate about Dayton? hahaha.

Top Bottom