I shouldn't even tell you this..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
As someone whom is new to the sales of ukes.. But, my #1 rule in any business is honesty. I know there are some things that a customer don't need to know, and this is probably one of them. But, I only tell this tale publicly in hopes it might give a little comfort that as I progress in this business, I do have my ukes, and buyers interests at heart.

Again on the subject as to why some of my for sale ukes aren't ready to ship so quickly. Mainly it is because they go under the microscope with me. Sure, I agree that I shouldn't even mention they are available, until they are truly available. I heard that feedback, and have to agree. Point and case. There is one, that I actually could have sold twice. But, I didn't. I called the sale off, and made it not available when I could have. Why? Because I was working with it because I noticed a small detail I wanted to investigate further before I was ok with putting it in a player's hands. Good thing I did, because it turns out that this specific uke had a major flaw. This flaw resulted in a crack developing as I put pressure on it checking it out closer. Sure, you can crack any uke, but this one, I felt it should not have cracked under the pressure I put on it. It cracked way too easy in this specific spot.

At any rate, it is one of the 10%-20% I mentioned before that the builder ships out that he shouldn't. I know he builds a really nice uke, but his QA really isn't as good as it should be, so he does let more bad ones out than he should. I expect to get a few of those as I buy them in batches, but want to minimize the risk of a end player getting one of that 10-20%.

I uncovered a flaw in this uke, held it back, and now took it off the market. In fact, I plan to keep this one myself so I can monitor it for long term. Not that it won't be right to sell when I repair it, but so I can use it as a benchmark not only for this particular issue I found with it, but for my repair of it. It all will make me more comfortable in knowing I will be offering the best uke for the money I can to players.

I worked out a deal with the builder, to get refunded for this uke, but in lue of sending it back, agreed on a "buy back". I bought the damaged uke from him, at a greatly discounted price. It gives me the bad uke, to work with, repair, and study that will ultimately help me provide you good foke with great ukes at affordable pricing, and getting to know more about his ukes, and what to look out for to weed out the bad ones. If ya'll would like, I will even post the repair and refinish of this uke. The repair is done, and now in strip mode. It is going to end up an awesome uke, because it sounded awesome, even with the damage. But, now going to end up with a high end Nitrocelulous Lacquer gloss finish. It is looking nice right now, and I think Im gonna love it more after the repair and refinish then I did before the defect was noticed.. Win wIn..

Last edited:
you are doing the right thing to trust your instincts and if your sense a potential problem, better to not let an instrument go out the door until your are sure, even if its at the last minute. thats looking out for the customer.

I think this is exactly the type of disclosure that will quickly build you an awesome rep with your customer base. I also think you are wise to negotiate the price down, and keep it for observation.

I also think you are wise to negotiate the price down, and keep it for observation.
That is exactly why I wanted to keep it. I think it will be invalueable to just keep it, play with it, fix and refinish it to get to know this guys builds more, and also how they do long term. I actually just finished up the repair and refin today, and it looks and sounds awesome, so not only is it gonna be good to get to know his work very well, I am really gonna enjoy playing it as one of my own. I only paid him $50 for it. It was much more cost effective for him to let me keep it for that, than refund all my money plus shipping back to him, and then have to write it off, or spend resources to repair it. Not bad for a solid Acacia uke huh? hehheh..

Honesty is the best policy...to yourself first...good going Bruddah...golden rule in business...MM Stan

Which one was it? (Just wondering, for those of us saving our pennies...)

-Kurt

Which one was it? (Just wondering, for those of us saving our pennies...)

-Kurt

It was the concert size Acacia, with the inlay on the back. I think it is #2 from the left on that little uke panel I posted a couple weeks ago. It actually looks nicer than it did before I stripped it. I really like it better now that it has a new finish on it. The fix wasn't too bad. It had a knot in the top, and directly accross from it apparantly was the top of the knot that didn't show. It apparently weakened it there. It is bookmatched, and the weak area was dirrectly accross from a knot area, so apparently that is why it was weak being on the edge of the knot as they cut the board. But, all is good now, that area was stablized and repaired, and the whole thing underwent a complete strip and new gloss Nitro Lacquer finish. Really sweet looking, and sounding uke now/again..

Here it is after repair and during refinish..

P1040321.jpg

P1040324.jpg

P1040325.jpg

P1040327.jpg

I really like the look of the ukes you're moving and trust your opinion on build and sound quality. My next uke purchase will likely be an acoustic electric. Have you considered putting pickups in them?
Don
ps:sorry to change topic direction, but seeing the finishing process got me thinkin, and I've seen what you do and was wondering?

I really like the look of the ukes you're moving and trust your opinion on build and sound quality. My next uke purchase will likely be an acoustic electric. Have you considered putting pickups in them?
Don
ps:sorry to change topic direction, but seeing the finishing process got me thinkin, and I've seen what you do and was wondering?

As a matter of fact, I have thought about that. The builder doesn't build pickups in them, but as time goes on, I have thought that I might take a couple popular models and reworking them with a pickup. I actually even thought about adding one to this particular one sooner or later. When I get ready to start doing that, I will probably do it with this one first since it pretty much ended up my one to take appart and experiment with.

Wow, the refinish is sweet! Nice work. Oh, by the way, you sleep a lot better at night when you are honest too. I have tried both ways and I like the honest one for the good nites rest! Keep it up.

Wow, the refinish is sweet! Nice work. Oh, by the way, you sleep a lot better at night when you are honest too. I have tried both ways and I like the honest one for the good nites rest! Keep it up.

Must be, because I never have a problem with not sleeping well. Ask my bride about that one.. hahhah

Tudorp,
I think you are on the right track.

Top Bottom