Is a 2003 Kamaka concert more valuable than a 2011 Kamaka concert?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of (and one of mine is a 2003). There have been a ton of 2000s Kamakas on eBay as of lately posted for way beyond what they are worth - I think there are sellers out there who are trying to make a buck off the ukulele "craze" right now.

I think he's trying to get the going rate where he lives...he probally paid that much initially for the uke and the customs and fees...I may be wrong..he may have added a few hundred...MM Stan

If the sellers are getting a premium for older instruments, that's good news. I recently bought a KoAloha from the early 2000's and I paid close to what a new one would cost from MGM. Since many people say koa takes years (maybe decades) to mature, I see age as a good thing. We live in such a disposable societly; I like owning things that hold their value or may possibly increase. If you own any american-made guitars from previous decades you'll know what I mean. The uke boom has spawned many collectors, and they will get pickier as the boom fades, but there is no reason why high quality ukes shouldn't increase in price.

Then again... The argument recently given me was, "why would you pay the same price for a used Kamaka than you could for a new Kamaka when for the same price you get a life time warranty buying new". I guess it boils down to what you value. It is hard when most of us are buying sight on seen. It can be difficult to judge the quality of the sound. I don't know if it is because I am still new or if it is just who I am but It takes me some time of personally playing before I can comfortably assess what I think of a uke. (Ooh, that may be another subject, sorry)

This seller is registered as a "Business Seller" w/only 7 feedback "hits" - his website, however, Ukenique.com

http://www.ukenique.com/shop/ukuleles/

States:
"Ukenique hails from London, UK to bring some of the finest finds to the masses of ukulele fans all over the world. Whether your search is for a mahogany Martin from the 1920′s or a white-label, koa Kamaka from the 1970′s, Ukenique should be your one-stop shop.

Our team source stock from all over the world to give our range diversity and if we haven’t got what you’re looking for in stock, we are pretty sure we can help you find it.

We also buy ukes, so feel free to drop us a line if you have something that we might be interested in."

So, not a private owner & is apparently trying to get top $/GBP for the items they list.

And some would say that an item is worth what someone is willing to pay!

(on a side note, I've never even seen a photo of any other Kamaka w/white binding that he also has listed.)

This seller is registered as a "Business Seller" w/only 7 feedback "hits" - his website, however, Ukenique.com

http://www.ukenique.com/shop/ukuleles/

States:
"Ukenique hails from London, UK to bring some of the finest finds to the masses of ukulele fans all over the world. Whether your search is for a mahogany Martin from the 1920′s or a white-label, koa Kamaka from the 1970′s, Ukenique should be your one-stop shop.

Our team source stock from all over the world to give our range diversity and if we haven’t got what you’re looking for in stock, we are pretty sure we can help you find it.

We also buy ukes, so feel free to drop us a line if you have something that we might be interested in."

So, not a private owner & is apparently trying to get top $/GBP for the items they list.

And some would say that an item is worth what someone is willing to pay!

(on a side note, I've never even seen a photo of any other Kamaka w/white binding that he also has listed.)
Aloha Gmoney,
I played my friend's kamaka with a white binding..he bought on ebay for I think was 350.00 it is in that day was called a deluxe model...nothing special except for the bindinng...can't imagine paying
3 times the amount for it though....MM Stan

Top Bottom