PDA

View Full Version : While I'm Waiting

Sunny_0ne
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
My ukulele is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've been watching hours of Youtube ukulele videos, particularly uke solos and lessons. I've also laughed at Dr. Uke and his daughters' video performances. :)

I've printed out tons of lessons. I think I'll start with Dr. Uke's chord progression suggestions.

I've bought 5 books, including two Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Songbooks, and the Speak Ukulele 2 chording lesson CD.

I've practiced strums with my fingers against my tummy.

And I've just devoured Pineapple Pete's wonderful History of the Ukulele. (http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/history.html) And loved the movies of his baby girl playing with the ukulele. (I imagine she is a lot older now!)

I played a little guitar years ago, but I have never felt so madly in love with an instrument before.

So is anyone else waiting for their first uke to arrive? How are you passing the time until it arrives?

fitncrafty
05-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Welcome to UU and have fun learning! Still very much a beginner myself. What sort of ukulele are you getting?
Look forward to hearing about how you are progressing... See you around the forums!

Sunny_0ne
05-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi, fitncrafty. It's a Mainland Concert uke.

Looking forward to getting to know all the people here. Seems like one of the nicest bunch of people around so far.

mm stan
05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Aloha Sunny_one,
Welcome to the UU and congratulations on your purchase of your new ukulele...betcha can't wait eh...have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings..google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax, MM Stan
P.S. I love my mainland honeybee...wow you have an awesome first uke...mine
the second time around was 24.95...:):)

fitncrafty
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi, fitncrafty. It's a Mainland Concert uke.

Looking forward to getting to know all the people here. Seems like one of the nicest bunch of people around so far.

There is a pretty awesome group of people around here.. One of the best forums around! Bet you can't wait for your uke.. It's SO hard to wait especially for the first one..

andre66
05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi there,
waiting on my first one as well, went with an inexpensive model from Empire music. I also bought two e-books about blues ukulele by Alistair Wood, saving those for when i have some experience with the ukulele. I am going to use the Ukulele boot camp practice sheets by Uncle Rod to start with when my ukulele arrives.
Good luck with your ukulele.
Andre

Sunny_0ne
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, Andre. I am really enjoying my ukulele.

I do best learning from books, so I am working my way through Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method Book 1, and then I'll move on to Mel Bay's Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele by Mark Kailana Nelson.

There are some great chord charts in the back of Hal Leonard's book that group the chords by family -- like A, Am, A7, etc. I like that because I can learn them in order and don't have to hunt for how to do a new chord when I'm in the middle of a song.

I'm also watching Ukulele Mike's lessons on Youtube. I was skipping around, but have started over with Lesson 1 and will move through them in order.

My biggest problem right now is rhythm. I'm trying not to stress over it, but just taking a step at a time, and figure once I learn my way around the notes, then I can concentrate on getting the rhythm right.

Glad you are here! :)