Anybody use Finger Ease or Fast Fret?

Teek

Reaction score
I got Finger Ease spray for my hubby when he was trying to tackle our vintage 3/4 steel string acoustic guitars. It worked well on the D'Addario Phosphor bronze wound strings, but it REALLY did a number on my lil Epiphone Pee Wee guitar. Slick and fast all right. It had been full of grunge on the fingerboard and the frets were really dull and sticky-ish from dust and sitting out for a couple of years. I cleaned the fingerboard with super fine steel wool, polished the frets, oiled the fingerboard with lemon oil and wiped off. It was much much better, but the spray made it really responsive.

I cleaned off the dusty layer on my Halekoa when I restrung it with Worth browns yesterday, did basically the same procedure, and what a difference in the sound, I knew the uke had better potential than the strings it came with were showing, I could hear it through them, but the were too high a tension for the action and were throttling the sound. So it sounded great but I felt like I was wresting with it a bit. The back of the neck is satin, is part of it. So I sprayed the back of the neck and that was better, then thought what the heck and sprayed the fingerboard. Now everything is clearer tonewise and slides are easier.

Anybody else use this stuff?

Just plain butter would be best on grits. I'd skip the honey or maple syrup, as the point is to decrease friction.

Ok, I see I should ask this question in the GUITAR forum where people play REAL instruments, lol! :rolleyes:

You can bet I will be using it on the Risa LP when it gets here.

I've used it on guitars and it's NICE. I'm not sure what's the best product but you can't go wrong with Fast Fret, er, Fast Grit.

It's *supposed* to go on the fingerboard. Another product I hear about is Guitar Honey. Frankly, Lemon Pledge may be fine. Anything that can loosen grunge, get you wiping things down, and make things move smoothly has got to be good for your grits.

It's great on the Risa. A clean fingerboard and polished grits are first, then the spray on the fingerboard only (I cover the body) then the back of the neck and wipe it down. Sliiick!

Fast Fret er, GRIT seems to have more oil base, Finger Ease is lighter. Makes slides feel effortless.

Yes, need to keep things clean or they make friction.

Last edited:
I've used Fast Fret on guitars, and it's okay for the first time, but it dries, builds up, and collects dust and grit. Stopped using it because I was cleaning it off more than playing...

You don't want grits on your grits!

I remember when I was trying guitar, Finger Ease felt NICE right off. On guitar you need all the help you can get.

Tried it. Don't like it. Wouldn't use it on any nylons or nylon-core wounds.

I just switched to Elixir Polywebs on my steel-strings.

Aldrine used to carry Fast Fret in his case. I'm not sure if he uses it any more. I personally don't like it for ukulele, and don't see the point, but I did love it for guitar.

I've used Fast Fret on guitars, and it's okay for the first time, but it dries, builds up, and collects dust and grit. Stopped using it because I was cleaning it off more than playing...

Yeah, this is why I've never tried it. I've heard that it builds up. Maybe it's just a case of over-use. It might also be dependent on body chemistry. I've got a friend that tried it and had it go gummy on him - but he also corrodes a set of new steel strings in about three sessions and the bridges on his electric guitars look like they've been "relicked."

John

never tryed anythign on my uke, dont relay see the need with nylon strings, but I always used it on my metal guitar strings, especial when stringing for the first time, even new strings I would find out of the package with some oxidisation, doing this seems to make the strings last longer and cleanign them periodical with the fingerease by spraying it on a rag and running it under the strings where most of the crude ends up. The other string lubricants do seem to leave a resdue, while the finger ease cleans and slicks the strings and evaporates easily. the only thing i dont like is the aresol style can. I wish they had it oil can style or something so i could just apply it to a rag.

Lemon oil works for me. Use it on everything! Even grits.

I've used it on guitars and it's NICE. I'm not sure what's the best product but you can't go wrong with Fast Fret, er, Fast Grit.

It's *supposed* to go on the fingerboard. Another product I hear about is Guitar Honey. Frankly, Lemon Pledge may be fine. Anything that can loosen grunge, get you wiping things down, and make things move smoothly has got to be good for your grits.

Lemon Pledge is NOT fine. Don't be guilty of uke abuse. This was a good thread about fretboard care:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44620-Fretboard-care

In it bazmaz provided a link to http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
which is very informative on wood treatments in general.

+3 on whatever you use "apply very sparingly."

Top Bottom