PDA

View Full Version : Neck Seperation



Mim
05-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Alright yall! I know you have the answers!

What tools/clamps/glue/process do you recommend to fix this baby up? I have been gifted the opportunity to practice not only my set-up skills, but my fixer-er-up skills with this uke! If I can get it in ship shape without screwing it up, it is mine! Concert Cutaway A/E Monkey Pod, slotted headstock, and my kind of uke right here!

THANKS!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/P1130293.jpg

UkeforJC
05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
aw..what happened to this baby??

ksquine
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Looks like it is a butt joint? You can probably just clean out the old glue with a knife or other picks and some sand paper. Try clamping the neck joint closed (with no glue) to see how things line up. Hopefully nothing is warped. Any clamping method that will close the joint is fine.
Then just squirt some glue in with a syringe and clamp. I'd use Titebond. Clamp it up until you see some glue squeeze out the joint. Wait about 15min until the squeeze out is gummy and scrape it off for a clean joint. Wait about 24hr before stringing it up

Mim
05-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Fabulous! Sounds do-able. The hardest part will be... THE WAITING FOR THE GLUE TO DRY!

Nothing warped luckily. Just typical "shipping ukes in hot months" damage. It happens. I am a dealer and this happened to come in my stock. I was taking them out of the boxes and just telling my husband "I want to keep one of the concert cutaways so bad, but I just can't right now". I am quite stingy. Then like a sign from above like it was meant to be... I pulled this one out of the box and noticed the seperation. Got it B-stocked and fixing it up to be a personal uke since I have sort of coveted on of the Lanikai Cutaway Concert Monkey Pods with Fishman pickups anyway! AND... it is good practice. I do set up all day (and sometimes night) long... BUT... I am new to repairs. I have done a few, and so far so good. And I took a woodworking class in college. So I am pretty handy with this kind of stuff. But seriously, this couldn't have happened to a better uke ;)! Maybe it was meant to be! What are the chances that this would happen to the exact uke I would want to keep?!

thistle3585
05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
One way to clamp it would be to use large rubber bands. They are available at woodworking stores.

RyanMFT
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Mim, I just want to highlight what was written above about cleaning the joint from old glue before re-gluing. It may not have a lot in there, and thus, that is why it failed.....however, glue doesn't stick well to other glue, but sticks great to bare wood.

I did this exact repair on a vintage uke I got on eBay. I cleaned it out a bit, only took a few minutes as there was basically no glue visible when I looked in with a light. Then I squeezed glue in with my finger as I don't have a syringe. I got it evenly coated inside, clamped....no need to clamp harder than just to firmly hold the joint together and squeeze out excess glue, cleaned up, and left it for 24 hours. Strings should have zero tension or be off the uke for this!

You will have your concert up and playing in no time! Post a picture of the repair when you are done!