A scalloped uke?

peterng_20

Reaction score
They've scalloped guitars so that when played, it produces the cool oriental sounds like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxvU9-yxL4

If you don't know what scalloped means, check athis out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerboard

I wonder if it's possible for uke?

If I had the materials I would be first or one of hte first to invent a scalloped ukulele. Unfortunately I can't do that, so I am sharing this idea (I might die anytime, so I have to suggest it now). Aldrine and his fellows, you should request to the uke company to manufacture a scalloped uke if it works well. Or if you want to risk a uke, file/sand it down until the masterpiece is finsihed (but it will take a long time and it might not work properly). If they already have one, then I'll try my best to get my hands on one.

Anythings possible but does a ukulele have enough sustain to let you do anything fun. I can see it on a electric uke but a standard would not sound to different.

That is so totally cool!!!!

Thanks, Peter!

I have a Jupiter Creek solid body tenor electric uke - it looks like a mini strat - I'm wonder if I could scallop the fretboard on it... Looks like it would a lotta work though.

So way cool...

I have a Jupiter Creek solid body tenor electric uke - it looks like a mini strat - I'm wonder if I could scallop the fretboard on it... Looks like it would a lotta work though.

If you do PLEASE PLSEASE practice on another piece of wood, it would be best if you found a block of the same type of wood. The last thing i (or anyone else on these boards) would want to see/hear is a ukulele experiment that went awry.

Seems like you accomplish sort of the same thing by using really massive fretwire. On the first few ukes I made (way back when...) I used much heavier wire than I do now. On those ukes, my fingers don't push the strings all the way down to the board during normal play, and you can bend notes a little just by pressing harder.

Top Bottom