PDA

View Full Version : Back on first?

erich@muttcrew.net
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi folks,

So far we have always put together the top and sides first and then attached the neck and finally the back. For certain reasons we need to attach the back first on our current tenor uke, if possible - which really derails our whole process, but it's live and learn I guess.

Do you see any issues with doing it this way?

Kekani
05-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Do you see any issues with doing it this way?

I think most of us build the box separately, unless its a Spanish heel.

I'll go out on a limb and say that ALL of us who use a mechanical connection do it with the box separately. Of course, I'm sure that holds true for a jointed connection as well.

-Aaron

Timbuck
05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I find that leaving the back off..then connecting the neck (minus the fretboard) to the body..and holding it flat down in position in the mould/solera (like the spanish heel method)..and then glue the back on..is the best way to keep the neck in line...thats the way i do it.:)

Kekani
05-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I find that leaving the back off..then connecting the neck (minus the fretboard) to the body..and holding it flat down in position in the mould/solera (like the spanish heel method)..and then glue the back on..is the best way to keep the neck in line...thats the way i do it.:)

I stand corrected. . .

Of course, for other reference:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

http://www.martinguitar.com/downloads/PDF/Navigating%20Nazareth.pdf

erich@muttcrew.net
05-07-2011, 09:37 PM
So far we've done it as Ken describes, attaching the neck with the back off and then attaching the back.

The problem in this case is that the piece of wood we got for the back (from our friend in Wales ;) ) is a little too narrow to cover the lower bout in the mold shape completely, which I unfortunately didn't notice in time. But by squeezing the sides (just a little) into place, the piece will fit. I'm concerned that if I attach the top first, which is large enough, I might not get everything fixed so that the critical squeeze point is reached for the back. And since the mold won't fit any more we have to do it freehand.

Steve vanPelt
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi Erich,
I hate when that happens ( or stuff like that happens ). I'd probably re-do the back with a back strip or third piece. I create enough trouble by accident, that I try not to do it on purpose.
Good luck, Steve

Timbuck
05-07-2011, 11:56 PM
So far we've done it as Ken describes, attaching the neck with the back off and then attaching the back.

The problem in this case is that the piece of wood we got for the back (from our friend in Wales ;) ) is a little too narrow to cover the lower bout in the mold shape completely, which I unfortunately didn't notice in time. But by squeezing the sides (just a little) into place, the piece will fit. I'm concerned that if I attach the top first, which is large enough, I might not get everything fixed so that the critical squeeze point is reached for the back. And since the mold won't fit any more we have to do it freehand.
I had a back piece that was 2mm too narrow but i fitted it anyway leaving a 1mm gap each side without squeezing the sides ..then when I cut the channel and the bindings were fitted the gap disapeared..if you know what I mean.:confused:

erich@muttcrew.net
05-08-2011, 03:58 AM
...I'd probably re-do the back with a back strip or third piece. I create enough trouble by accident, that I try not to do it on purpose.

I was considering just cutting it down the middle and inserting another strip, but I don't know - it seems like overkill compared to the little sqeeze job.....

erich@muttcrew.net
05-08-2011, 04:02 AM
... leaving a 1mm gap each side without squeezing the sides ..then when I cut the channel and the bindings were fitted the gap disapeared...

Yeah, I know what you mean, but there are like 4 mm missing on each side :\

Timbuck
05-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Thats a BIG squeeze:)..Remember as the sides go in the ends go out.

erich@muttcrew.net
05-08-2011, 11:07 AM
...Remember as the sides go in the ends go out.

Yeah, I know. It'll be a longer, thinner body. Supermodel style ;) Luckily there's a bit of length to spare.