Just bought a melodica

OJB

Reaction score
I just bought a melodica purely because I love the toy like sound and simplicity of it.

I was just wondering whether anyone had used one before and how they used it or even come up with a cool way of integrating the melodica into their music.

The uke and melodica go really well together. I did a cover of RHCP's "Give it Away" where I played all the guitar solos on melodica. I'm really happy with the way it came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB7XTSp4BTM

Cool! I've always wanted one but I already have many odd instruments I don't play regularly. I can really see it can fit with a ukulele group for sure. Think of it as Lead Harmonica!

Check out the mighty Gus bringing it to a melodica crescendo:

Thanks guys, theres some good stuff here!

I got a melodica recently too! I've wanted one since I first saw Gomez (one of my favorite bands) use it live. They use it pretty regularly in lots of their songs including one of my favorites, Hamoa Beach (skip about a minute in past the boring interview segment):

I love the way Gomez uses that instrument, it adds a lot.

I think I quite like it as adding depth to the sound but I think a few riffs and licks on it would sound pretty good!

I like the sound of them and the look but have never played or seen one. I might just order one of the internet.

Check out some Augustus Pablo, he'll always be the all time king of melodica in my book.

Glad I found this thread. Reggae and Melodica! A surprisingly great combination!:D

Just sent the link to my daughter, who plays Melodica... (she is not in another state, country or even part of town... She is downstairs but couldn't be bothered to come up and see it on youtube on my PC. Don't you just love adolescents? ;-)

Great track! Thanks HH (Mike?). Reminds me of a lot of the sixties reggae/ska things we used to hear blasting out of the coffin makers district in Yaba (Lagos, Nigeria) where we lived. It was strange that there were all these guys sweating to make "capsules for eternity" and working to the beat of some of the most life affirming music on the planet! You just have to love AFRICA !!!

Top Bottom