PDA

View Full Version : Another Uke Giveaway

Dominator
07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok folks. I mentioned a while back to a few people from UU that I had a Lehua Concert ukulele that I was going to do a little work on and then give it to someone in need. I remember seeing a video of a young player performing one of his first original songs a while back. The song was great but the intonation on his uke was off so bad I thought to myself, man this kid needs a better uke. Well, I'm not 100% positive but I think that person was the receipient of GX9901's Pono.

Since Deach keeps a pretty good handle on this stuff I will consult with him and maybe the UU staff and see if we can come up with a needy candidate for this uke.

Mike DaSilva gave me this uke (which I think he won it at Uke Fest West in Santa Cruz) to use for doing my tabs. I needed multiple ukes for different tunings and Mike was gracious enough to offer it to me. Now that I have been building my own ukes I don't necessarily need this one now and would like to send it on a new journey in hopes that someone can make use of it until they can afford something better.

The fret ends were really sharp as the fretboard has shrunk a bit over the years. Today I dressed the frets, replaced the tuners with a set of imitation Gotohs from Ebay that are actually a pretty decent set of friction tuners, ,made a new ebony saddle and put a set of Aquilla Nylguts on it. As soon as the strings settle in I will check the saddle for intonation and it will be ready to go. When I'm done tuning her up I will make a short video and post it on YT. She should make someone a decent interim ukulele.

IamRobbyah
07-31-2008, 07:05 PM
One more reason why Dom is the MAN!!!!!!!

russ_buss
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
good man Dominator, keep that aloha spirit going!

Ame
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
ihartDom.

When I first met you at Mika DaSilva's I had an urge to call you "Uncle Dom" haha You just give off that kind of friendly/close/family kinda vibe I think. xP Such an awesome guy. :)

Dominator
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
When I first met you at Mika DaSilva's I had an urge to call you "Uncle Dom" haha You just give off that kind of friendly/close/family kinda vibe I think.

Ame, I don't mind at all. My niece Emma calls me Uncle Dom all the time :D.

berylbite
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Heart O' Gold man.. Heart O' gold......

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Uncle is a good nik for Dom :P

Sayyadina
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Very generous of you Dom. Way to go!

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-31-2008, 10:56 PM
+rep4Dom?

7382659872365hwfiuahngijn

grappler
08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
very generous of you dom!
rep points coming your way!
Congrats on who gets it in advance
and also Big thumbs up to dom!
cheers buddy
Bless your kind soul

SailQwest
08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
What a wonderful thing to do! You're a great guy!

Poi Dog
08-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Awesome Dom! Simply Awesome!

sukie
08-01-2008, 03:30 AM
This is the kind of stuff that make UU so great! Nice, Dom.

14twelve
08-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Very generous of you Dominator! What a wonderful thing to do!

polynesianpop
08-01-2008, 03:51 AM
This is one of the reasons I love this site. This is very generous of you Dom!

Plainsong
08-01-2008, 05:51 AM
How many awesomes do I have to say in order for the forum software to accept the post?

AwesomeAwesomeAweome! :nana:

Dominator
08-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I posted a video that shows the Lehua concert ukulele I'm giving away. The couple of people I had in mind for this uke have recently received new ukuleles so if you know of a deserving candidate please respond to this thread.
Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfopfrC-Klo

Fred Miu
08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
i think the main candidate should be anyone with the name of "Fred Miu"

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-02-2008, 06:22 PM
^ hahaha i couldn't agree more
im starting to love the word another :)

... i already forget what i was going to say from when i clicked the post reply button, nice uke... i would like it - but dont think i really need it + i dont want another embarrassing attempt in losing another contest LmFao

+1 Fred Miu whoo

h-drix
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
lol, i love the captions.
the ukulele- no the player

amazing uke, uncle dom :D i love the look of the pegs, hope it goes to someone who plays the hell out of it.

would say myself but i got a Gstring coming

ukermom
08-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Hello Dominator :)

First of all I must say how really, really nice it is of you to do this!
I know someone who I think really deserves this ukulele...my daughter, D. I think her first exposure to the ukulele was when she saw "Concert for George" on TV (she is one huge Beatles fan). It was love at first sight, I guess. She'd spend whole evenings watching ukulele videos and even learning chords (air ukulele :D)

We live in India and ukuleles are not at all easy to come by...we hunted every music store in the city. We finally found one solitary uke in the window of a store, and rushed in to buy it...except that the shopkeeper thought it was a toy guitar :rolleyes: and was most reluctant to part with what he was using as a dummy guitar for his window display. After much cajoling we convinced him to sell it to us...and D hasn't looked back since. Day and night she totes that uke around, playing till her fingers bleed. She's been playing for around 4 months now, and is getting pretty good , I'd say...except that her ukulele doesn't really stay in tune for long and sounds...well...like a cheap ukulele...

D will be turning 19 this November, and when I came across your video on Youtube, the first thing I thought was what a wonderful present it would make for her...hope you will consider this nomination :)

God Bless ya, Dominator!

Dominator
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
lol, i love the captions.

amazing uke, uncle dom :D i love the look of the pegs, hope it goes to someone who plays the hell out of it.

would say myself but i got a Gstring coming

H-drix, you had me worried for a moment. I thought I had made a typo and said "no the player" instead of "Not the player". But I checked and now feel relieved :).

DeG
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
What a great way to get someone the uke they deserve...way to go Dom!

BTW, is that a Stephen Colbert "wriststrong" bracelet that you're wearing?

<~/UkeDude\~>
08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Dom,
It's Jeff, when Aldrine and company was plaing at Island Bazaar, I brougt a friend of mine to go watch the perfromance with me and she said she had a great time, and she was inspired to play the ukulele. Luckly I had brought two Ukulele's with me so in between brakes I was teaching her how to play a few songs one of which was the opening of Blue Roses. Honestly, she sounded pretty good at it, with the acception of the strumming.
She's been playing the guitar for a while but ever since the performance she's been wanting an Ukulele. We looked around at Island Bazaar for a little but couldn't find anyting that she could afford. . .rather we couldn't find anyhthing that sounded good in her price rance of like 40$, so at the moment she's practices with a capo on the 5th fret of her guitar. . .which works, I guess but yeah >_>
Well in closing, I was hoping you could hook her up with that Ukulele so she can at least have a real Ukulele to practice on, and if you could, that would be like the best thing eva and I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it, and I'm totally sure she would to ^_^

Thanks for all your help!
Your Awesome!

Jeff Quijano

experimentjon
08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
+rep4Dom?

7382659872365hwfiuahngijn

Apparently, I need to spread more around before giving another rep to uncle dom. :) This is very generous of you dom, big props!

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
^ it said that to me to.
whats it mean? :P

Jack33@
08-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Hello Dom

I'd love a uke like that and have been shamelessly trying to win a uke in any competition/givaway recently. However I ended up buying a little Ohana the other day and I can't really say I am in need any more.

I hope you find the perfect candidate, a good instrument can change your whole perspective and it is the perfect way to give someone a boost.

Lots of it

Shacademy
08-03-2008, 03:18 AM
I've been playing Ukulele for about a month now, originally bought a cheap, no name brand that as you mentioned, doesn't stay in tune for long, but it was enough to hook me. I would love that concert ukulele, it sounds great.

deach
08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Uncle Dom - This is really awesome of you! A chance to get a nice ukulele touched by 2 ukulele legends! So cool!

upskydowncloud
08-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Great thread. This sort of stuff restores my faith in the human race!

Kaneohe til the end
08-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Great thread. This sort of stuff restores my faith in the human race!

agreed, its hard to believe a place like this still thrives.
but todays rap music crushes my dreams. its getting progressively dumber. ex. "chicken noodle soup", "laffy taffy", and my fave "YAH BITCH YAH!!!"

Plainsong
08-03-2008, 04:26 AM
Oh come on, you can't condemm an entire genre of music because this or that song sucks. There's good rap, there's good country, there's good this, that, or the other. It really grinds my gears when someone just craps all over a form of expression that might mean the world to someone else, and for no real reason. I mean the pros and cons of hip hop culture weren't even the subject of the thread.

I don't care for most mainstream rap and hip hop. There is great stuff out there though.

h-drix
08-03-2008, 05:00 AM
H-drix, you had me worried for a moment. I thought I had made a typo and said "no the player" instead of "Not the player". But I checked and now feel relieved :).

oops:o sorry i worried you.

to get back on topic, this is a great thing

three cheers for uncle Dom Deaching a uke :nana::nana:

Craig
08-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Have I ever mentioned that not only does Dom Rock, he's a frick'n UKULELE GOD!!!

Dominator
08-03-2008, 05:28 AM
BTW, is that a Stephen Colbert "wriststrong" bracelet that you're wearing?

St. Jude's Children's Hospital

Misguided Musician
08-03-2008, 05:33 AM
I feel it's my obligation to nominate my cousin for this uke. He's been playing for almost a year now and he's gotten pretty good, it's just he needs a uke. He has the potential but his mom isn't willing to use her money on his talents and chooses to use them more on his little sister for Skating lessons and classes. His little sister has about $5,000 worth of skating equipment, while he has nothing. I feel like he's being neglected for being the middle child and I would really love to see him get this uke.

MatthewwMatthew
08-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm here to recommend that this gorgeous uke be given to the most deserving person in my life, my best friend, Summer Joy Ryan (aka. makafeke on YouTube).
Summer is a beautiful girl inside and out and brings joy to whomever she encounters, much fulfilling her middle name. She had two ukes, a very nice one and one of those cheap ones you get from Hawaii, however, recently, she sold her nice one in order to help her family out financially, which was a very distressing situation, as one can imagine. Summer is now left with one of those $30 ukes. Summer pretty much uses her uke as much as she can, whether it be at school to sing (with her gorgeous voice) and entertain her friends (i.e. myself) or to bring it to Downtown Disney to play for people. Summer is a very hard-working and intelligent girl and one of the most creative people I know. She taught me how to play my own uke and got me hooked on it, as well as about thirty different people at school. Summer is the most important person in my life and she means so much to me as she is always there for me to bring me up when I am down through her love for life and her absolute vivacity . She is completely selfless and will put others first (as in selling her beautiful uke to help her family) before herself. I know this uke would mean the world to her, and I just really want to let you know that if you give this uke to her, your uke will be in the perfect hands and a day would not go by where that uke will not be given love and a good playin'.

Thank you so much for this opportunity.

-Matthew

Plainsong
08-04-2008, 04:03 AM
If Summer doesn't get the uke from Dom, just a thought, but what if all of these friends whom she has touched were to chip in and get her a nice uke? Just a thought, but 300 bucks spread 30 times is 10 dollars per person. 800 bucks spread 30 times is basically 27 bucks. It's doable.

Nurdaben
08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
WTG Dominator

RON<>VA
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm here to recommend that this gorgeous uke be given to the most deserving person in my life, my best friend, Summer Joy Ryan (aka. makafeke on YouTube).
.......I just really want to let you know that if you give this uke to her, your uke will be in the perfect hands and a day would not go by where that uke will not be given love and a good playin'.

Thank you so much for this opportunity.

-Matthew

Summer is lucky to have such a friend as you Matthew, advocating for her.
Summer needs a ukulele!

Dominator
08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
It seems as though Mathew has vanished. I left him a PM regarding this but have not received a reply.

rayan
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
awesome Dom. That is the UU spirit.

2r2e
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Great idea. Don't know if I can put myself forward and must admit I haven't read all the posts so there may well be far more deserving recipients....
I'm a teacher in the UK and last year got given a cheap uke as a leaving present from my last school. As seems to happen with ukes, I've got pretty well obsessed and over the last 6 months I've really got into it. I'm beginning to make some progress and have joined a group and I can now tell the sound I make just isn't as good as those around me with better ukes.
I'm starting a kids uke group at school and it would be cool to have a uke with a story behind it like this. My hope would be to pass it in on a similar way within a year or so to a like minded person and have it build a history around itself as a travelling uke.
Cheers for reading...

Aloo
08-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Dear Dominator,

My husband was given an ukulele for Christmas and laughed because he has tried to play so many instruments over the years and has never been able to connect to any of them. He began to learn, though, with his usual enthusiasm. We live way out in the country so he relied exclusively on the internet along with a couple of books from the local library and I know that one of the people he has mentioned to me is the Dominator. I think he had downloaded lyrics and chords as well as learning specific techniques. More importantly he has been given the feeling that he could really learn to play his fifty dollar ukulele.

Is all this going to be shown all over the internet? That's a bit of an intimidating thought. Maybe I won't go into too much detail, but I should tell you that he spent his whole life working to help others and make their lives better. He especially has tried to help street people and those in need. Then he had a stroke several years ago. He has been more or less confined to the house since then. I have sometimes wished that someone like him would come along to help him, but that is just a daydream I guess.

Anyway, this ukulele has been the greatest gift. He works at it every day and has made remarkable progress. The first thing he did with it when he had learned one song quite well was to go to the home of a shut-in he had never met and play his ukulele for the guy and talk to him for hours. Then when he had to wait for me in town a few days later I found him in the park playing his song and talking to some older folks. And he has even been starting to write some songs of his own lately. So his ukulele has been so good for him and good for others, too. He is always showing me nice ukuleles in catalogues, but he has no expectations of being able to buy one for a long time. Being disabled doesn't pay very well, you know.

We live in Canada so that might disqualify him and I know that whoever you give this ukulele to he will be pleased for them. He showed me your video because he was impressed by how generous you are being. You might know him, his youtube name is shas1814.

Thank you for the chance to tell my story. And thank you for the help you have given my husband even if you didn't know he was listening.

Janet

Dominator
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm back in town after a long weekend and have made my decision regarding the Lehua Concert Ukulele. There were some compelling stories/nominations submitted and I thank everyone for that. I wish I could give an uke to all of you but that isn't in the cards at this time.

And the uke goes to:

~\UkeDude/~'s

Good Friend

MAZ

Congratulations Maz

Jeff, please provide me with a full name and shipping address and I will get it out to her as soon as possible.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
ooh i see, u gotta scroll down..
i thought there was a picture :D :D

Congrats Maz!! =]

polynesianpop
08-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Congrats Maz!

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
It seems as though Mathew has vanished. I left him a PM regarding this but have not received a reply.

not referring to me?

Sayyadina
08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
not referring to me?

I think Dom was reffering to MathewMathew who wanted the uke for the girl named summer.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
oh hahaha :D
i c
mean for the comp again, c8ups

deach
08-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Congrats Maz!

and Dominator this was awesome of you to do!

ukermom
08-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Congrats Maz! :)